Pacific Industrial Products

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ckhaney

Pacific Industrial Products

Post by ckhaney »

Anyone ever heard of this Post WW2 maker? I have seen a lot but not this one. Nice looking rod with interesting documentation.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pacific Industrial Products

Post by henkverhaar »

I may be seeing things that aren't there, but the material doesn't strike me as bamboo - just some type of 'normal' wood...
Edit: I do see some indication of node work. But still...

Also, I think the graph is a fiction - first of all, the numbers do not really add up: the value for the 10' mark (actually 12' from the butt end) cannot be 31 inches plus fraction: check out the first image - the result of plotting those numbers.

If we disregard the value reported for the 10' mark, the rest of the numbers suggest a straight taper from 10 mm diameter at the butt to 3 mm at the tip - more a carp rod than a trout fly rod; see the deflection graph, for a 2 oz stress, for such a straight taper - if made out of bamboo.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I think it is bamboo because nodes are visible. It is possible that some enamel has been left on between the nodes, a practice by some Japanese makers today who make rods from Watake (a special type of madake bamboo). The enamel can conceal the typical pattern of bamboo fibers.

Tim

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Is there a certainty that the paperwork relates to this rod? It looks like a worked-over old Monty or such. Also, it looks like an awful lot of material was taken off to fit the butt ferrule on.
Frankenrod?

ckhaney

Post by ckhaney »

According to the rod's owner it was given to his father, who worked in post WW2 war crimes trials in Japan, for appreciation for his work there. I don't have any reason to doubt him. The documentation has been with the rod since the 1950's.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”