Edward’s 8 1/2 quad

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Edward’s 8 1/2 quad

Post by fefferje »

I have an Edwards’ 8 1/2’ quad marked “50”. Since Bill Edward’s made quads from 1939-1956 are there any distinguishing marks such as reelseats, thread work, ferrules or cane flaming that would place a particular rod closer to the 1939 manufacture or the 1956 manufacture? Were any of the models later to be developed? Thanks, Jed

Fefferfly

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Edward’s 8 1/2 quad

Post by Flyman615 »

I have several Wm. Edwards Quadrates. Based mainly on the reel seat I would date your rod closer to 1956 than 1939, IMHO. Do you have the original labeled tube and bag? Both would also help date the rod. But that said, specificity is somewhat difficult with Quadrates.

BTW, just to complicate things, all three of my Edwards Quadrate catalogs list #53 and #54 as the 8 1/2 ft. 50-series rods but not the #50 as such.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Scott, here a couple of shots of the tube and bag that came with the rod. By the way what about the seat makes you think closer to 56?? Thanks for responding. Jed

Fefferfly

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

FWIW, your rod's tube doesn't match any Edwards Quadrate tubes I've had.

Bill Edwards used many different reel seats over the years. The factors that make me think yours might be a later example include the wide screw band and the lower grip check made as part of the reel seat.

But that's just a guess on my part. Fact is, thus far we can't find many "facts" or absolutes about the Quadrates. Perhaps someone will write a definitive book on these unique rods someday. But I'm not holding my breath...

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Agree that so many different parts were used on these quads it’ll be hard to nail down. But I do have an 8.6” model 34 that has a rather rare I believe, Edwards care/hang tag which I’ve never seen on any rod I either own or have looked at. My rod has the same tenite reel seat as your rod has. The date on my rods hang tag is 1949. Stanley

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Scott and Stanley, thank you both for sharing. I have a little more knowledge about the Edward’s quads because of you. Blessings, Jed
Fefferfly

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I agree with the comments above but I've never seen a bag like the one pictured. All of my 8 quads have pull tab on the bag except my 6' ultra light pictured below.

Dennis

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”