Divine rod Information

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Dylan518
Guide

Divine rod Information

Post by Dylan518 »

I recently came across a divine rod for sale ( I believe it’s a classic trout) and decided to “rescue it”. The hardware looks to be in great shape minus some tarnish from the last 100 years and some Smokey smell from being in a smokers house.
The label is 100% intact which is great but some of the intermediates are missing and unraveling from the varnish breaking down but I have replacement thread from utica that perfectly matches the red. My biggest concern is the missing snake guide on the mid section.

The serial number is E294.

All sections are 37” with the agate tip showing a set. All other sections are straight.

The real seat has no dents or imperfections And nether does the NS band or end cap. No scratches at all lead me to believe it never saw much if any fishing.

Since I can’t seem to locate my Michael Sinclair book I was hoping someone might be able to give me any information on the model, date of manufacture. I’m on the fence about restoring it or selling it. I have a new baby on the way so I might not have the time to fix it this year.

Thanks in advance

Dylan

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: Divine rod Information

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Looks like a Divine Standard Trout rod circa 1914 if the letter is truly an E.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Dylan518
Guide

Post by Dylan518 »

Awesome thanks. Its an E might need a good cleaning

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

That is a very nice rod you have!

There are a few inconsistencies in existing rods and some information in Michael’s book but to his credit he took on the monumental task of researching Fred Divine and his company which provided us with a lot of otherwise unknown helpful information. Michael’s book states that the decals were first used about 1917 but you can see if the estimate is correct of when serial numbers were first used then something is off a little. Michael told me a while back that he wanted to put out an update to his Divine book to address things like that but he just hasn’t been able. His book is still full of a lot of excellent information.

The company also did quite a bit of custom order rods as well that will most likely account for possible differences in wrap patterns, hardware, etc. I have a Fairy rod that has two sliding bands on the reel seat as opposed to the most common or standard one band. Wraps are tricky to completely nail down as they can be changed at any time and sometimes are changed whenever someone unfamiliar with standard colors or patterns performs a rod restoration.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Dylan518
Guide

Post by Dylan518 »

I noticed this rod doesn't have a hook keeper and there is no indication (ghost wraps) or room for one unlike my other standard stout rod. The areas where the intermediates are missing are pretty obvious since the original varnish is still present. The last divine I was restoring (its about 95% done, needs a male ferrule plated) I was able to remove the old varnish with DNA an salvage 98% of the intermediates.
This rod is also 9.25 3-37" section unlike my other 9'-0" rod. I've always wanted to get ahold of Divine fairy, I live pretty close to Utica so I try to check thrift stores and estate sales.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Dylan,

I am restoring a very similar Divine that was missing some of its English twist snakes. I found vintage replacements from Goldenwitch. Mine is a 9.5’ “H7547” same reel seat, intermediates, etc. I’m not sure what year that is, but now I’m wondering? The reel seat will look great if stripped and revarnished. Cap is pinned to seat, btw. Yours is a nice rod!

Dwight

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Dwight wrote:
04/14/21 00:30
Dylan,

I am restoring a very similar Divine that was missing some of its English twist snakes. I found vintage replacements from Goldenwitch. Mine is a 9.5’ “H7547” same reel seat, intermediates, etc. I’m not sure what year that is, but now I’m wondering? The reel seat will look great if stripped and revarnished. Cap is pinned to seat, btw. Yours is a nice rod!

Dwight
Your rod with serial number H7547 would have been made sometime around 1917
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Thanks Uniquafly!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”