Repairs - Post Sinclair and Stone

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BigDog57
Sport

Repairs - Post Sinclair and Stone

Post by BigDog57 »

The last few months have seen the announced retirements of Michael Sinclair his near death from Covid19, and Dennis Stone - fortunately delayed a year.
My question, and maybe this is the wrong forum, is basically who is still out there doing repairs? I'm looking for repairs for a number of roads I've acquired in various stages of disrepair, mostly Granger, Phillipson, and a couple of Heddons. Quality is first priority but reasonable cost is appreciated. Reasonable time frames are also a consideration. Dennis is repairing a Granger 7030 - (actually rebuilding comes closer) for me currently, but will soon not be an option.

Hoping to get some discussion about makers or those specializing in repairs who do good work and aren't too backed up with work.

If this is wrong forum please either move or suggest the right one.

Clayton

tomvt
Guide

Re: Repairs - Post Sinclair and Stone

Post by tomvt »

I have used Fred Kretchman from Kittery, Maine www.kretchmanflyrods.com
and Mike and Kathy at South Creek Ltd., Lyons, CO www.southcreekltd.com
They both have done outstanding work for me. -tom

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Scott Whitman on the forum here is excellent, he has done a good bit of work at very reasonable cost for me mostly on Phillipson and Grangers and I would trust him with any of my rods.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

I have been wondering the same. While I do restorations and most repairs, I do not scarf or fabricate replacement sections. Dennis has been my go to for the past 10+ years. His scarfing work is second to none as is his ability to match color tone of any rod sections I've sent him (he did great repair work on portion of a W&M Granger 7030 tip section for me). I will greatly miss his expertise on these matters. In addition, he was a good source for reasonably-priced rod blanks and I fish several rods finished out from his blanks. In fact I just had him make me a Heddon 7' 2/2 0-1/2F blank that turned out great.

I know of some other makers offering blanks, but I need suggestions for individuals who specialize in the major repair work like replacement sections and scarfing work.

As for Mike, his expertise/input on matching wraps and details on vintage rods is invaluable. Fortunately, he documented much his expertise in his books on Granger and Heddon. We have that to be thankful for.

Ron

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Ron, a few years back Scott made a run of reproduction Granger 7630 rods that were very well received.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Thanks Jim, I will definite consult with Scott next time I need major repairs on Granger sections. Now who can replicate Phillipson sections with dark cane tone and glue lines?? ;)

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

I second that for Scott Whitman.
He worked with Kathy, and Mike at Southcreek for some time before working on his own.
He was able to mend a splintered tip for me on a Granger Deluxe, and unless you used a ten x loupe you couldn't see any of the repair.
Excellent varnish work, and very reasonable on cost.
If you have a Howells, Winston, or, Bolt rod that needs work get ahold of Robert Bolt. I recently had him replace two ferrules and a repair for a Howells rod that could only be described as 'perfect'. He does only work on these makers though.
Thomas

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

My good friend Scott Whitman is indeed the "go-to-guy" for Grangers of all eras.

As for Winston, mine go to Glenn Brackett of Sweetgrass rods. The E.C. Powells I send to Jim Clarkson of Raptor Rod Works and my Edwards Quadrates go to Tim Zietak. As for Paynes, I'd recommend either Don Schroeder or Steve Blake.

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 04/14/21 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I may be wrong but I believe Dennis Menscer also accepts rods for repair and restoration.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Dennis has done excellent restorations on several FETs for me.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

Steve Sobieniak, who goes by the name Caveman on this forum, has done excellent work for me repairing a Divine and 2 Heddon’s. He has done a scarf for me, and is making new tips now for a Heddon. His business is Root River Rods in Lanesboro, MN.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Jeff Pope in Spokane has provided a couple scarfs for me over the last two years and does excellent cane work including matching the tone of the cane. He is not a full time bamboo maker or restorer but has been a great resource for me. I believe he goes by Splitcanenut on this forum but I could be mistaken.

prestontrout

Post by prestontrout »

I second what Blackdog said about Steve (aka Caveman) - my Heddons are like Harleys always need fix in’

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”