Martin Keane rod bag question

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

One&Duns
Guide

Martin Keane rod bag question

Post by One&Duns »

I have an 8’ Thomas Special from 1946 - Sold by Iver Johnson in Boston (Thank you Mr. Campbell). As you can see in the picture, the rod bag is labeled:
Martin Keane
Classic Rods
Minehill Rd.
Bridgewater Conn

(It might be worth noting that the address on Mr. Keane’s later catalogs was Ashley Falls, Mass. Maybe the Bridgewater Conn was an earlier address.)

Anyway, I’ve always assumed that the rod bag was not an original Thomas bag and Mr. Keane sold these bags separately or provided them with rods that he sold needing a bag. But I also wonder if this was a rod that he owned and maybe he stamped the bag as to personalize it. Or he stamped it in case it ever got lost. I kind of doubt this, because why would he add "Classic Rods"?

Does anybody have any knowledge of these rod bags?

Sorry for the small pictures. I still can't figure out how to post bigger pictures.

Thank you for your time
Bob

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Martin Keane rod bag question

Post by headwaters »

When a reader -- like me -- clicks on your small pictures, they increase in size.

The rod sock in your top picture definitely looks like an original FET rod sock. If the sock in the lower picture is the same sock, it looks like Marty had a stamp made that he used to mark his rods.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

I believe your bag is an original FET bag. That exact blue color bag is often seen with FET rods made in the 1940s.

The earliest FET rod in my collection with that blue color bag is from 1942 and the latest is from 1948. Your rod is a 1946 vintage. The foldover flap is found on FET rods from the mid-1930s on.

Marty lived in Bridgewater, CT before moving to Stockbridge, MA (and then to Ashley Falls) when he retired from real estate and focused on his Classic Rods & Tackle business fulltime.

Jay

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

One&Duns wrote:
04/15/21 19:55
Sorry for the small pictures. I still can't figure out how to post bigger pictures.
How to post photos:
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=135586

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

Headwaters, yes, the lower picture is just a blowup of the stamp - same bag.

And Jay, thank you for the dates!

Great information! Thank you both.

When I bought the rod (+/-10 years ago), there was a great ongoing FET thread - actually its still going. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=50659&hilit=Thomas ... s&start=20.
Mainiac posted a picture of 4 different FET rod bags that spanned several decades. So when I bought the rod, I was fairly confident that the bag was original - knowing from Mr. Campbell that the rod was from '46 and seeing Mainiac's picture. But when I received it and saw the stamp, I thought it would be odd for a guy like Marty Keane to stamp the bag. Not that personalizing it would be weird - people stamp books, have their name inked on rod shafts, etc. But, I can't imagine the number of rods he owned. And moreover, how many rods did he own for just a short while - as he collected and sold them through his catalog. And too, the "Classic Rods" part of the stamp threw me as well.
I just figured that he had a stash of rod bags that he sold through his business or otherwise provided to his customers.

Anyway, I really appreciate the confirmation that the bag is original. And I like the idea that the rod was owned by Marty and it was special (no pun intended) enough that he stamped it as his own. There must be others bags out there with his stamp.

And Greg, thank you for your help with pictures. I did see that post. I couldn't find a "My Images" icon at the upper right. I’ll take this up in the Tech support thread.

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

Bob, I'd definitely say that this looks like the original bag, and Marty just stamped it with his logo.
Steve

One&Duns
Guide

Post by One&Duns »

Thank you Steve - that really means a lot!
And I might add, your willingness to answer Thomas questions is very much appreciated. You must get a lot! It's an invaluable service for this community!

thomasrodco
Sport

Post by thomasrodco »

Happy to help!

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I have a rod and tube ,not purchased from Marty Keane, that has a gold sticker on it that states "Shipping costs and reward Guaranteed to sender if returned to Marty Keane P.O. Box 288 RT. 7-A Ashley Falls Ma. 01222 431--------------88 (Please Call Collect) "
My point being, Marty had a thing about marking his rods with identification. Perhaps he lost something valuable at some point and kicked himself for not writing his contact info in the piece.
Because I'm sure you're wondering, the rod is an 8' 2/2 Omar Needham.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”