Fred DeBell Impregnated

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BigDog57
Sport

Fred DeBell Impregnated

Post by BigDog57 »

I just saw on a listing for a 9 foot Impregnated rad by Fred DeBell which is puzzling me. The name stamp looks to be original and the rod is varnished even though impregnated. I understand the varnish would be typical for DeBell, although it the varnish is so poorly done I suspect it was a later add-on.
What really caught my eye was the classic Phillipson purple glue lines and the thread wraps which are identical to the Phillipson Premium back with gold an black tips. It also has the hammer handle grip that I thought only Phillipson used.

Did DeBell rebrand any Phillipson rods or finish out blanks from Phillipson??

Anybody have better knowledge than me about this rod?
Last edited by BigDog57 on 04/21/21 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fred DeBell Impregnated

Post by Flyman615 »

Yes, DeBell used many Phillipson parts and pieces over the years and many times they were re-branded as his own.
In addition, he made such rods for others e.g. Classicane (Andre Puyans and Dave Inks).

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

Thanks Scott
I knew he used Phillipson parts, did not know he used whole blanks and the hammer handle

Clayton

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Clayton:

Actually, pre-formed hammer handle grips were even sold separately. By whom, I don't know, but I have one that's still unused.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”