An early Orvis Deluxe with an interesting provenance

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

An early Orvis Deluxe with an interesting provenance

Post by Greg Reynolds »

In January, member Ron Raport (para_adams) posted photos of his recently-acquired early 6 ½-foot Orvis Deluxe in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=134470&start=80

Ron is a professional photographer and the photos he posted are wonderful. The rod is everything I find special and charming about the minimalist Deluxe. It’s fitted with the tiny grip w/finger relief, butternut cap & ring seat, snake stripping guide, and is inscribed “Leon E. Wiley” “Manchester, Vt.” on two flats. Mr. Wiley’s Deluxe is a great example of a very cool Orvis. I wanted the rod, but didn’t expect Ron would part with it. However, he accepted my offer and it arrived in Pennsylvania the next week.

Ron’s photos of the inscriptions:

A few of us had speculated on exactly what it was, but as it has no serial number, I wasn’t entirely certain what I’d bought until it arrived. Orvis introduced the Deluxe in 1952 as a 10/64-ferrule rod. Fifty-nine were produced through November and are rare on the secondary market. Production of a 11/64-ferrule, 2-oz Deluxe commenced in December, 1952.

Leon E. Wiley’s Deluxe turned-out to be the 11/64 model. A collector (which I’m not) would prefer the 10/64 model, but the more-robust 11/64 model is a better choice for the most of the fishing I’ll do with it. I’m very happy with the rod.

1952 Orvis catalog entry:

1953 Orvis catalog entry:

Hoping to date the rod, a few long days were spent going through my records. I isolated the 6 ½-foot Deluxe rods in my database, creating a new spreadsheet containing 913 rods, annotated with features gleaned from images I’ve downloaded over the years. It became apparent that Orvis didn’t standardize features on the model until the later-1950s, which wasn’t their typical practice at the time. Based on its features and tube, I believe the rod was likely made in 1953 and no later than 1954. Mr. Wiley acquired the rod at about age 65—I’m wondering if it was a presentation.

I set-out to discover who Leon E. Wiley was. Avoiding seemingly sketchy fee-based online services, I spent hours on search engines until I found this scan of a page from The Manchester Journal in The Library of Congress:

The Manchester Journal, July 06, 1922:

The Library of Congress was the key to learning about Mr. Wiley’s life, as they have scans from early Vermont newspapers through about 1922. I downloaded 63 of them from The Bellows Falls Times, The Vermont Phœnix, The Londonderry Sifter, The Middlebury Register, The Bennington Evening Banner, The Manchester Journal, The Brattleboro Daily Reformer and the The Burlington Weekly Free Press covering his life through age 34. I later found a copy of his obituary, which filled some gaps. After reading the articles, I pieced his life together by making a timeline. I’m charmed and respectful of the extended Wiley family and the southern Vermont community of the time.

Mr. Wiley knew, and was associated with, C. F. Orvis’ sons Robert and Albert through work and civic involvement--he certainly knew CFO too. For that matter, the probably knew most of the people of Manchester.

The Manchester Journal, May 15, 1919:

The Manchester Journal, June 08, 1922

His first 30 years were filled with heartbreaking personal tragedies, but the rest of his life appears to have been fulfilling. He was involved in the community and a life-long sportsman. He was a president of The Manchester Rod and Gun Club (still in existence) and secretary & treasurer of The Southern Vermont Federation of Sportsmen.

Leon Emory Wiley — Manchester, Vermont:

Born 12/15/1887, died: 3/12/1968

Father: John Fisher Wiley; born 6/3/1854, died 1918, married 9/22/1878, South Londonderry, VT
Mother: Carrie Ester Wiley (Hart); born 1/22/1857, died 12/23/1946

Brother: Frank C. Wiley; born 5/1/1879, died?
Brother: Bernace J. Wiley: born 2/11/1882, died 6/10/1884
Brother: Carl Henry Wiley; born 1/17/1886, died 5/23/1970
Brother: Robert F. Wiley born 4/22/1892, died 6/21/1892
Sister: Blanche Carrie Stone (Wiley); born 12/3/1893, died 8/16/1978
Sister: Edith Alice Wiley; born 12/24/1895, died?
Sister: Gertrude E. Fisher (Wiley); born 8/1900, died 4/3/1993

Wife: Bertha Amanda Wiley (Smith); born 3/30/1886 (Middlebury, VT), died 9/22/1917, married 10/20/1913
Daughter: Lois W. Mattison (Wiley); born 7/24/1914, died 10/16/2009, married 3/1/1936
Infant Son: Leon Emory Wiley Jr.; born 5/28/1916, died 6/24/1916

Wife: Clara Maria Wiley (Smith, sister of Bertha); born 3/26/1895 (Middlebury, VT), died 8/21/1978, married 5/18/1919
Son: John Fisher Wiley; born 3/1/1923, died 1/1/1976, married 10/5/1974
Son: James Lee Wiley; born 3/3/1926, died 6/4/1976, married Carolyn Shed 8/28/1948, married Francis Ellen Lussier?

Time Line:

1887 – Leon Emery Wiley born in December in Londonderry, Vermont
1909 – Graduates from Burr and Burton Seminary in Manchester, Vermont in June
1909 – Employed as a clerk at the Manchester post office (days), and at New England Telephone and Telegraph (nights)
1909 – Attends the University of Vermont in September (doesn’t finish)
1913 – Marries first wife Bertha Smith (chief telephone operator at New England Telephone and Telegraph)
1914 – Daughter Lois Wiley born in July
1916 – First Son Leon Wiley Jr born in May
1916 – First Son Leon Wiley Jr dies in June
1917 – Hospitalized in January for 5 weeks
1917 – Long recovery at Bertha’s parents Middlebury home,
1917 – Loses Manchester home
1917 – First wife Bertha dies in September at age 31
1918 – Father John Wiley dies in September at age 64
1919 – Marries second wife Clara Smith (sister of first wife Bertha) in May
1919 – Purchases grocery from Coy & McGuire
1919 – Resigns as Manchester assistant postmaster in May (C. F. Orvis’ son Robert J. Orvis was postmaster from 1913-1922)
1919 – Opens L. E. Wiley Grocery on 80 Union Street, Manchester in June (resides above the store, located next door to the Orvis Rod Shop)
1920 – Leon, Clara and Lois Wiley recorded living on Union Street in the 1920 Federal Census
1923 – Second son John Wiley born in March
1926 – Third son James Wiley born in March
1930 – Leon, Clara, Lois, John and James Wiley recorded living on Union Street in the 1930 Federal Census
1936 – Daughter Lois W. Wiley marries Donald Lane Mattison.
1936 – First grandchild Muriel Wiley Mattison is born
1940 – Leon, Clara, Lois and John Wiley recorded living on Union Street in the 1940 Federal Census
1940 – James Wiley recorded in the 1940 Federal Census (attending school?)
1941 – Second grandchild Carl Albert Mattison is born
1948 – Third Son James Wiley marries in August at age 22
1949 – Third grandchild Candance Lee Wiley is born
1951 – Fourth grandchild James Leon Wiley is born
1968 – Leon Emery Wiley dies in March at age 80 (never retired, operated L. E. Wiley Grocery from 1919 to 1968)
1970 – Brother Carl Wiley dies in May at age 84
1971 – Son-in-law Donald Lane Mattison dies at age 63
1974 – Second Son John Wiley marries Ivy Sakovich (Atwood)
1976 – Second Son John Wiley dies in January at age 52
1976 – Third Son James Wiley dies in June at age 50
1978 – Second wife Clara Wiley dies in August at age 83
1978 – Sister Blanche Stone dies in August at age 84
1993 – Sister Gertrude Fisher dies in April at age 92
2009 – Daughter Lois Mattison dies in October at age 95

Excerpt from his obituary in The Bennington Banner:
"MANCHESTER Leon Emery Wiley, 80; proprietor of a grocery here for nearly half a century, former village and town officer and well - known sportsman, died unexpectedly this morning at Putnam Memorial Hospital in Bennington. Mr. Wiley, who had been actively involved in public life here and who never retired, had been admitted to the hospital on Monday. The son of John Fisher and Carrie (Hart) Wiley, he was born in South London-derry, but had spent the major part of his life In Manchester.

A graduate of Burr & Burton Seminary In 1909, he had attended the University of Vermont. He had been in the local post office (assistant postmas-ter) employed under postmasters D. K. Simonds and R. J. Orvis (C. F. Orvis’s son) before establishing his business here in 1919. Purchasing the grocery business in that year from Coy & McGuire, he had continuously operated the store and L. E. Wiley Grocery, was known in a wide area.

His service of many years in the town and village and in civic projects had been outstanding. He had been a village trustee and also village auditor. He had also been town auditor for many years. Invariably he was named to many committees, which had included zoning and planning. Mr. Wiley had been a long - time public servant.

An ardent fisherman and hunter, he had also spent much time and energy working with fish and game and outdoor groups in projects relating to these sports. He held the post of president of the Manchester Rod and Gun Club for many years and was a long-time secretary and treasurer of the Southern Vermont Federation of Sportsmen, He had an unflagging interest in anything to do with fishing and hunting.

Mr. Wiley was president of the Dellwood Cemetery Association at the time of his death…"

Last edited by Greg Reynolds on 09/17/21 21:25, edited 8 times in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: An early Orvis Deluxe with an interesting provenance

Post by ibookje »

Wonderful coverage of the rod Greg!
It's amazing that the information about the owner could be found on internet.
The rod is beautiful as being different from the Deluxes we usually see. Hopefully it will see many wonderful times on the water to celebrate the reason it was built for him.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Congratulations, Greg!

The rod is a beauty, and I'm plain bowled over by the investigative work.

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

tyghguy
Guide

Post by tyghguy »

Wow Very interesting write up for sure. Thanks, I enjoyed it. The rod is definitely in the right hands.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Greg, I clearly sold that rod to the right person. I was fascinated by the inscription and am thankful for your work. I hope its OK, I'd like to re-post my favorite image of that rod, it sure posed well...

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Greg , your history of the rod and it’s original owner are fascinating. While every rod has a story it is doubtful many fine rods will have the good fortune to be researched for posterity to another generation or owner -caretaker. Fine piece of work.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Absolutely priceless post, good for you Greg!

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I love swimming in the sea of bamboo......because of stories like this one!! thanks for sharing.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Great story... best of luck with the rod....

Ed

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Wow! Great rod, great story and certainly many great memories to come....love it!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks all for the kind words, and thank-you Ron for posting the amazing photo.

I intend to do more searching during the winter to learn more of Leon's life between 1922 and his death in 1968.

The Bennington Evening Banner, June 25, 1909:

The Bennington Evening Banner, August 09, 1909—note the mention of Hiram Eggleston, inventor of the spring-locking reel seat used on many of CFO’s fly rods:

The Manchester Journal, January 28, 1915--one of my favorites:

The Manchester Journal, February 25, 1915—You have to be tough to fish in the worst of the Vermont winter:

The grip is exactly 4 inches long. The relief on the bottom tapers into the reel seat, positioning the last 2 fingers to keep the palm resting on the top of the reel seat. Wes Jordan knew what he was doing as it works remarkably well, and is far more comfortable than it might seem:

I normally rotate through my rods and rarely fish each one consistently though the season. Though not getting to fish much this year due to Covid (crowds on stocked streams), too much water in the spring and not enough now, plus other complications; I've fished the Deluxe on 6 of my 7 outings.

It's taken a bit of fettling to get it lined correctly. It's a noticeably faster rod than its successor, the heavier 11/64-ferrule, 2 1/4-oz Deluxe (later renamed Superfine) introduced in 1963. The latter is best with for me with a DT5, which significantly underloads the Deluxe on small streams. I recently switched to a Cortland Sylk (high density/small diameter) DT6 which is near-perfect. I'm able to load 1/2 of the Sylk line and a small amount of 20lb dacron backing on the Baby Bougle in the photo.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for sharing your rod and story. Just terrific!
Gotta love those unusual Orvis rods!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

A pleasure to read, based on your great research! I love the small town reporting of visits and of visitors. Thank you very, very much, Greg.

Tom

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

greg; great and dedicated sleuthing; i really enjoyed reading this thread. does the rod fill your creel!
highest regards, jim w

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

A real treasure, Greg, as is your research! Congrats on your acquisition, and thanks for sharing!

Rupert

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Greg,
Nice research. The newspaper archives give us a wonderful look at the local flavor.

I would guess Leon had an early CF Orvis rod prior to this Wes Jordan rod as he was part of the fishing community in Manchester.

More connections:
"Leon E Wiley and Edward H Swift spent Sunday in Londonderry"
I believe Edward would have been Theodore Swift's son nephew of George Hawkins Swift.

George was the first to make rods in Manchester (1867), joined shortly by Hiram Eggleston. Charles Orvis was the dentist in 1869, and in late 1869 early 1870 Hiram Eggleston joined Charles, started making rods at the Union st shop (map in your avatar), and George Swift becomes the dentist. I believe it was Hiram Eggleston that was making the rods, reel seat and probably the reel as well. Hiram had the mechanical chops to accomplish what Charles couldn't although Charles was pretty good at marketing and advertising.

A great resource for more information on Wiley is Shaun Harrington at Manchester Historical society.

Here's an image from Vermont Life of Wiley fishing on the Battenkill. Henry Robinson, Leon Wiley and Roger Hurley

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Greg, fabulous stuff as usual. You know I love that rod! Glad you have it.

I was also tickled to know that Earle Fowler attended the chicken show. :)

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks again for the kind words guys. I was hoping it would be an interesting read.

Royce, I expected the mention of Hiram Eggleston would draw you into this thread. Thank you for adding to it. I know little about early Orvis history and I pay attention to your posts. I'm blown away by the photo of Leon and friends! I'm aware of the Manchester Historical Society and planned on contacting them--thanks for the name of a contact. I think it's probable that Leon was a friend of the Orvis shop and tended to use Orvis rods.

Paul, I would've been saddened and this thread poorer if Mr. Fowler hadn't been noticed... :)

The Brattleboro Daily Reformer, July 24, 1914—Bad news! Leon’s dad is sued over horses:

The Manchester Journal, December 16, 1920:

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Greg, what a wonderful series of posts. You took a rod that bore the name of someone who made an impact on a community long ago, and then reconstructed part of his life story.
This is also, in my personal opinion, a good argument for not removing the names inscribed on old rods. So many stories out there!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”