Auction site question?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Auction site question?

Post by Flyman615 »

I hope this question will be open to reasonable discussion.

Currently there are a few post-War Paul Young bamboo fly rods listed for sale on eBay. One of the rods, however, appears to be listed twice, but by two different sellers at two different starting prices.

What do you make of this? Thanks in advance for your carefully stated opinions.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Auction site question?

Post by quashnet »

Others have been trying to figure out an answer. I think you will find this thread from earlier in the year to be relevant.

Here is the description from the Paul H. Young Database of a rod that has recently been offered in multiple eBay listings from Japanese sources:

PHY 7'6" FLY ROD built in March 1949 for H. J. "Harry" Noll, who sold fly tying kits in the 1950's. Oil finished cane, caramel-color but very little mottle-flaming, non-pocketed cap with "Detroit" stamp and knurled front edge, and ring with diagonal knurling front and back, cap and ring both black, over cork reel seat. Cork grip is nearly straight with no curved shaping. Brown decorative spiral wraps. Nickel silver step-down ferrules. Handwriting in black ink on five flats by PHY. First flat: H. J. Noll - Mar. '49 Second flat: 7 1/2' - 3 1/4 oz. (Bamboo 2 3/8 oz.) Third flat: 13/64 Fer. 4 1/2/64 Tip Top Fourth flat: Paul H. Young Detroit-Maker Fifth flat: H.D.H. Short Taper Original bag and B-24 tube. Sold on eBay for $2730. by Hoagy Carmichael, November 2011.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I can see the quandary and would no doubt be suspicious at best. If you are an active member, perhaps opting to use the "contact the seller" option with both parties with an innocent inquiry regarding the history of the rod or some pertinent information as to ferrule fit, etc. might elicit clues that could shed light on the situation.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I buy often on e-bay. I almost always ask for an additional specific photo of the item to: 1) confirm that the seller is actually in possession of the item, and 2) better identify something that doesn't seem quite right. That said, if the seller doesn't respond, then I always pass on the item. I've returned 3 items this year to sellers who had a no return policy because the item was misrepresented and everyone took it back. Legitimate sellers don't want negative feedback for something that they overlooked. Proceed at your own risk.

Cheers,
Joe

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Scott - I see it as eBay cannot police the auction house - and now it is over run with bogus listings
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Flyman615 wrote:
09/29/21 18:20
I hope this question will be open to reasonable discussion.

Currently there are a few post-War Paul Young bamboo fly rods listed for sale on eBay. One of the rods, however, appears to be listed twice, but by two different sellers at two different starting prices.

What do you make of this? Thanks in advance for your carefully stated opinions.

Scott Z.
It has to be some sort of ongoing scam. The two user names associated with the rod you're talking about have been doing this consistently for quite some time now. There is a way to report listings like this to eBay, but they apparently don't pay much attention to it. Both users also have some negative feedback saying the seller was listing things they don't actually have on hand to sell/ship. Further, both have very few (or none) sold listings so you can take a look at what they've been selling.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

It's most likely a scam (one or both). I listed a rod of mine a number of years ago and it didn't sell. A few weeks after I pulled my item, another ad popped up on the auction site. It was the picture I took of my rod!!! The gall of these scammers is just nuts. I notified the auction site.
Last edited by Titelines on 09/30/21 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I wonder if they are brokers selling the same rod?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, fellows, for your input.
While I'm not interested in buying the rod in question, I just felt a cautionary "heads up" was in order.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I see those Japanese listings and just tune our.

I would like a filter that allows them to be excluded.

mentorsteve
Sport

Post by mentorsteve »

Hi, You can narrow your search to USA only or North America only which will give you Canada, Mark

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

mentorsteve wrote:
03/12/23 18:04
Hi, You can narrow your search to USA only or North America only which will give you Canada, Mark
I add one more qualification because I say "Used". All that takes a daily bamboo rod list from 3200+ down to about 300+/-, of which a percentage are fixed price that are just being rolled over. And then there are still a number of new glass or graphites. Ebay's catchall excuse is that they can't have experts on everything monitoring listings.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/29/21 21:37
I buy often on e-bay. I almost always ask for an additional specific photo of the item to: 1) confirm that the seller is actually in possession of the item, and 2) better identify something that doesn't seem quite right. That said, if the seller doesn't respond, then I always pass on the item. I've returned 3 items this year to sellers who had a no return policy because the item was misrepresented and everyone took it back. Legitimate sellers don't want negative feedback for something that they overlooked. Proceed at your own risk.

Cheers,
Joe
Agreed, agreed and agreed. Even with a no return policy. And sometimes a seller does honestly miss something.

All reasons that I am severely curtailing my vintage tackle purchases and sales. Between payment, shipping, tracking, packing...

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”