Another Orvis question

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Emel4
Sport

Another Orvis question

Post by Emel4 »

I was driving through Vermont this past week and stopped by the Orvis mothership.
I recently acquired my first bamboo rod, an Orvis salmon rod from 1962. They were able to tell me the year of manufacture ('62) and the year of sale (also '62) and that is was built by G. Reed and C. Skinner. The rod was sold a couple of months after manufacture to Abacrombie and Fitch in NYC. I am now intrigued to know who may have bought the rod from A&F. Is there any way to find this info or am I way off base on this?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Mark

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Another Orvis question

Post by jeffkn1 »

Not likely that A&F has retained records from 60 years ago, assuming they kept track of those things at that time. They filed Chapter 11 in 1976 and shut the store down. The current owner of the name is a company retailing clothing and 'lifestyle' goods, not hunting and fishing equipment.

Emel4
Sport

Post by Emel4 »

jeffkn1 wrote:
10/01/21 10:32
Not likely that A&F has retained records from 60 years ago, assuming they kept track of those things at that time. They filed Chapter 11 in 1976 and shut the store down. The current owner of the name is a company retailing clothing and 'lifestyle' goods, not hunting and fishing equipment.
Thanks
I thought that may be the case.

Mark

Budrichard
Guide

Post by Budrichard »

Griffen and Howe were the actual importers of A&F firearms and as such retained the records. You can get a photocopy of the sales record of an A&F firearms from them.
Maybe they also retain the records of rod sales?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

In my experience, Orvis will know who purchased the rod. I had an Orvis rod made in my birth month and sold 5 months later through A&F, but Orvis would not tell me who purchased the rod.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Orvis has the name of the original owner if the rod was retailed by them. If the rod was sold by a dealer, the only way Orvis will have owner information is if the registration tag was returned by the customer. Orvis doesn't release customer information in any case.

I have a Superfine purchased from A&F in 1969, which sat unused in a collection until I bought it in 1984--the tag is still in the tube.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”