Montague 7-6 Flipline? date? restoration

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

glaciercreek

Montague 7-6 Flipline? date? restoration

Post by glaciercreek »

really excited to use this rod....I am looking for help to approximate a date for this rod and any other additional information, I picked this up for $8.00 at an estate sale in 2017 after looking for a fly rod to fish with, I am also trying to find the closest matched dark green thread & gold colored thread for restoration...Also I can tell this was re-varnished years ago and the only letters showing on the badge is FL and NE, all i could find from the montague name list was Flipline to match it...Thanks for any information or help

sawtelle8
Guide

Re: Montague 7-6 Flipline? date? restoration

Post by sawtelle8 »

Hi,
I agree w/ your assumption that it is probably a Monty Flipline. Based on the down screw lock reel seat (I can't tell from the pic if the insert is wood or plastic??) and the horizontal label (versus diagonal Montague label), my guess is that it was produced sometime in the 1930's.

If you could provide some additional pictures of the female ferrules, that would help in nailing down the rod as a Flipline. If it is a Flipline; It should have hand welted, serrated ferrules.

A nice looking rod and being a three piece 7 1/2' makes it pretty rare. Enjoy...

Sawtelle

glaciercreek

Post by glaciercreek »

first thing-thanks very much for your help Sawtelle, I appreciate it!
the reel seat insert is wood, hope these photos help and this is of course why I am looking for a dark green thread match, looking forward to using this in Colorado instead of using a spinning reel...

Last edited by glaciercreek on 10/08/21 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

That's a good one. I had a Flipline a long time ago and recall it was one of Montague's better quality with swelled butt, nickel silver ferrules, and an appropriate number of line guides. Michael Sinclair's book indicates the label represents the 1939-1949 era. His book indicates the Flipline, when new, cost more than twice what you paid. He recommends Gudebrod 6038 or YLI 79 for the gold silk and black for the tipping, although you indicated green on the trim of your rod. If you're planning to strip and refinish the rod, I've always found it helpful to verify the original silk color of color-preserved wraps based on the underside of the original wrap which hasn't been subjected to exterior forces that alter color over time.

glaciercreek

Post by glaciercreek »

thanks CMcDowell a bunch for all the information, date and for the color spec numbers as well. excited to get it in good enough shape to use.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”