Pair of Phillipson Questions

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

wshallman64

Pair of Phillipson Questions

Post by wshallman64 »

I recently purchased a copy of Colorado Classic Cane and have been pouring over it for the last week. I thought I would finally be able to correctly date my three Phillipson rods. Was able to narrow down the years of my Power Pakt to 1947 or 48 due to the plastic threads on the reel seat, even though the color of mine is Butterscotch and the catalog from those two years says brown. I figure the non-metal threads on the reel seat is the deciding factor for that rod.....perhaps. My real questions are regarding my Pacemaker and my Peerless "63".
My Pacemaker has the green anodized aluminum reel seat that would indicate that it is 1950 to 1954. From what I have read, Phillipson was no longer making varnished rods in 1955. However, my wraps are green tipped with yellow. I find this wrap style only listed with the rods with the black plastic reel seat from 1947 to 1949. The 1951 and 52 catalogs that list the anodized aluminum reel seats list the wraps as green tipped with black. Could mine be from 1950? 1953?
On to the Peerless "63". I previously assumed, and have seen it suggested, that "63" indicated that this rod was made in 1963. Then I read that "By 1965, Bill was back building bamboo rods......only the Peerless models....And at this time the cosmetics of this model were changed dramatically". This is when the winding check was changed to the "elongated cone anodized copper" and the grip was changed to the torpedo shape. Both of these features are obviously present on the Peerless "63" so I doubt that "63" indicates the year of manufacture. So, I can only assume that the "63" was made in 1965 or later. Is that a correct assumption? And, what does "63" indicate? I also found it odd that "63" was not mentioned in the section titled "Unusual markings on Phillipson Rods".
So, these are the questions that remain, at least for me, unanswered. I thought that once I got my hands on this book I would have nothing but answers and no more questions. That wouldn't be much fun though, would it?

CMcDowell
Guide

Re: Pair of Phillipson Questions

Post by CMcDowell »

Michael Sinclair noted in his book, 'Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook', "Occcasionally, a small number is written near the winding check wrap. This is the employee number of the final inspector and was added after the rod was wrapped and before it went to varnish."

Sinclair notes, "The No-Rock reelseat was ..... used on higher quality rods after 1948. It may be seen in black, brown, or green anodizing...." So, given the yellow tipping, your Pacemaker is likely from the 1948 to 1951 timeframe.

Also, regarding your Powr Pakt, Sinclair says "The plastic seat was used on all models from 1946 to 1948, with lower grades using black plastic and higher grades using brown (butterscotch) plastic." So, he implies that the "brown" is a "(butterscotch)" tone; same thing.

wshallman64

Re: Pair of Phillipson Questions

Post by wshallman64 »

Thanks for the clarification on the reel seats. The "63" I am referring to though is not the inspector number near the winding check. It is actually included in the model name....Peerless "63" is exactly how it appears on the shaft as can be seen in the pic.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”