South Bend #57

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

irishbob

South Bend #57

Post by irishbob »

Good morning. First time on forum, as I inherited a few bamboo rods and have started some research. Been flyfishing since the 80s but never held or fished a bamboo rod. I'm going to post these on here because they seem to have history and this seems like a group that would be interested.

This is, I THINK?, a South Bend #57 9ft three-piece rod. I did some reading on here which was very informative, about these rods. There are no markings on the rod or reel at all. Only clue I had was the tag fell off the sleeve when I took it out of the tube. Based on some earlier posts here, they made rods with no markings. I can't speak to this any more than that. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Skimpole
Sport

Re: South Bend #57

Post by Skimpole »

Based only on the last two photos, you have a SB 357 or 57 missing the second tip section or a 355 or 55 which only came with one tip section. Given your tag, SB 57 is a good bet. Post ww2 products. Bass/Steelhead model.
Never handled one myself.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Likely refinished which removed markings and the grip is composite cork which SB didn't use.

irishbob

Post by irishbob »

Thanks so much. I appreciate the expertise

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

I used to have a SB rod that was Identical to yours. It had no markings, wraps were the same as was the reelseat and composite grip. Looks original to me.

Bruce

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”