Lang’s

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

canesterdf
Master Guide

Re: Lang’s

Post by canesterdf »

Yep a great auction for the auction company. We will pay dearly for our treasures. I thought it was very well done overall. I was traveling and my connection was intermittent, I saved a lot of money but was mildly frustrated. saw a few rods I thought were not what was stated so I backed away but came out with a few goodies.I just loved some of the reels, true American classics from a great collection. I am glad to hear that most of us had fun with our hobby Saturday. Good luck with your prizes. Best. Paul

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

oquassa wrote:
11/07/21 11:58
There were several rods that went at somewhat reasonable prices even including shipping and premium. Consider #548 and 517 and 484 Leonard 50DF for $650 and $600 and $600; #526 Leonard 50 1/2 DF for $700; #509 Leonard 49DF for $650; #515 T&T Hendrickson for $700; #529 T&T Classic for $550; #480 an 8ft. Battenkill for $250; and #477 a 8ft Thomas Browntone for $700.
It was an auction in which condition was everything. A lot of the rods, like the Browntone, had been refinished to non-original specs. A few had serious water damage--so this affected prices. Some of the reels, especially the Philbrook & Paines, were in stunning condition--so this pulled up prices. Some items were quite uncommon and the prices were surprisingly reasonable: the 8' EC Powell and the Rhead flies for example. It was a healthy auction, all things considered.

bb

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Once all is said and done, the buyers premium with shipping adds about 30% to the total. It's tough to get a good deal with that number!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Lang's explaining what is highlighted email :

Today's auction features a historic collection of antique reels in exceptional condition, creels including several pictured in Chatham & McClain's The Art of the Creel, a large selection of rods - many owned by the late tournament fisherman Walter Ungermann, who was sponsored by Orvis and T&T and the Captain of the US Fly Fishing team, Nick Podolsky carvings, original art, minnow buckets, fish decoys, and many more important items in a range of values and ages.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
11/07/21 10:01
Guess I'm not one of the billionaires. I was outbid on everything I bid on. :( Didn't get a single thing. Next time! :)
As was I.

Scott :rolleyes
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I browsed through it and forgot about it!

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
11/08/21 07:46
Lang's explaining what is highlighted email :

Today's auction features a historic collection of antique reels in exceptional condition, creels including several pictured in Chatham & McClain's The Art of the Creel, a large selection of rods - many owned by the late tournament fisherman Walter Ungermann, who was sponsored by Orvis and T&T and the Captain of the US Fly Fishing team, Nick Podolsky carvings, original art, minnow buckets, fish decoys, and many more important items in a range of values and ages.
Thank you!
Here’s more on Mr. Ungermann

https://www.capecodtimes.com/obituaries ... -114060532
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I was suprised to see rods with signaficant damage(8"to 9" of water damage!!) being auctioned. Always though Lang's offered only the best. And don't forget buyers premium and ship, apparently an additional 30%!!! Ouch.
And of course, what would we all do without Hardy, Hardy,Hardy! Guess nobody else in the world made excellent reels!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Bid on 4 rods and reels and won 1 rod. The one I won really surprised me.
Dennis

Adam.podlaha
Sport

Post by Adam.podlaha »

I really enjoyed seeing some of the T&T commemoratives. Not that often on display. Was bidding on some but ended up too high for me. Some of the other T&Ta sold for reasonable prices. Kicking myself on missing on the Ari Hart’s trilogy reel…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Tommasini wrote:
11/08/21 06:51
Once all is said and done, the buyers premium with shipping adds about 30% to the total. It's tough to get a good deal with that number!
...plus NY state sales tax. I've seen some deals if all you look at is hammer price, but once you add in all the above fees...

It is fun to peruse through the listings; but unless I was a serious collector, I'm not sure I could justify final prices of more mundane items (Hardy reels, etc.).

Trains&Canes
Guide

Post by Trains&Canes »

All of the fees are given up front. It is easy to make a quick chart so you know whether or not to click on the bid button. While I was surprised to see a lure auctioned off at $1500, the prices for the rods, fees included, seemed a bit lower than the dealer listings, at least on the rods that interested me. I don't follow or research other tackle much so I can't make the same observations on other stuff. Speaking of research: This auction will hopefully recharge the research on what is actually a Maxwell rod, and what we consider the "Maxwell Era." Did the level of quality in the few years after he left the Leonard shop deteriorate? From the single rod I have seen and cast from the time after Tom left the shop, the quality was consistent. So are those rods "Maxwell" Leonards? Whatever... they look great. Tell us what you think!

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I've always admired Maxwell rods and still have 2 Leonard's "The Duracane" 7' 6" 5wts. Love the med-fast action. With that said I was on a mission to get the one rod I won which wasn't a Maxwell. Maybe next time.
Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 11/08/21 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

When Maxwell arrived at Leonard he immediately improved the fit and finish of Leonard rods . When he left, the quality of the look and finish stayed with the Company well after the IRS closed the Company and continued thru the Texas Leonards.

The Purist
Sport

Post by The Purist »

There were three 8’ 3-piece Orvis Battenkill bamboos listed that I was interested in. Checking the Orvis database it showed that two of them were originally 8-1/2 footers. I’m surprised that wasn’t disclosed by Lang’s, but apparently the bidders knew based on the very low hammer prices. The third one I did bid on, and was outbid. The instant the “fair warning” was announced I bid again and in the same instant the auction ended with the other bidder winning. Very curious how it went from fair warning to sold in the blink of an eye. Oh well, there will be others.
I did pick up the Fenwick World Class 2 reel for what I felt was a good deal at half the cost of others offered on the big auction site.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

The Purist wrote:
11/09/21 08:01
There were three 8’ 3-piece Orvis Battenkill bamboos listed that I was interested in. Checking the Orvis database it showed that two of them were originally 8-1/2 footers. I’m surprised that wasn’t disclosed by Lang’s, but apparently the bidders knew based on the very low hammer prices. The third one I did bid on, and was outbid. The instant the “fair warning” was announced I bid again and in the same instant the auction ended with the other bidder winning. Very curious how it went from fair warning to sold in the blink of an eye. Oh well, there will be others.
I did pick up the Fenwick World Class 2 reel for what I felt was a good deal at half the cost of others offered on the big auction site.
I wondered about the Orvis 3-piece 8 footers. I knew one had been reworked with mismatching wraps on guides, etc and figured that was what kept the price down so low. A lot of the Orvis rods seemed to have issues...I would have considered a couple of them as projects but had already won more than my fair share of rods at another auction and didn't want to push my luck with my wife :)

I watch quite a few auctions and I have seen lag time between the online bidding and live bidding many times. One big auction I go to has two people on the floor watching online bids and relaying them to the auctioneer. I like to sit near them so I can see where the online bids start to decide if I'm even going to bid at all. More than once the auctioneer is saying "sold" just as an online bid is coming in that would have won. I suspect the earlier in the day it is, the longer they auctioneer holds out for online bids, as well as for high dollar items where they want to be sure they don't miss an online bid. If the person working the online interface is slow with the "fair warning" and the auctioneer is fast with the "sold" the online person can miss out pretty easily.

The Purist
Sport

Post by The Purist »

I was watching the bidding on the creels while waiting for more reel lots to come up, and it was like watching paint dry waiting for the hammer. It would seem that when they have two or more active bidders they might wait 5 or 6 seconds?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

So, there are internet bidders, absentee bidders, and phone bidders. They have more than one person handling phone bids and the bidders are often oblivious to the fact that many Lang's people, plus the entire auction audience, are on hold while somebody clears their throat or scratches their head and reconsiders what to do. Phone bids generally leads to higher hammer prices. That's the tradeoff for a sometimes sluggish pace.
I run for a couple of estate auctions and the addition of internet bidding and phone bidding invariably means more time on my feet. Same with being a bidder in the audience. I don't think Lang's could do anything they haven't already done to improve the situation. They're selling up to 100+ lots an hour.

The Purist
Sport

Post by The Purist »

I just think it is a disservice to seller and bidders when the hammer comes down unexpectedly and too quickly. Other online auctions have count-down timers, or at least say “going once, going twice, sold.” I was prepared to go way over the hammer price on that rod, so the seller, and Lang’s lost out.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

tuned in out of curiosity... was a bit shocked by the prices! 21% fee plus shipping made some of these tough to stomach. Turns out I'm not a rare tackle collector, so learning that was worth the price of admission.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”