Lang’s

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Re: Lang’s

Post by G-ManBart »

The Purist wrote:
11/09/21 11:08
I just think it is a disservice to seller and bidders when the hammer comes down unexpectedly and too quickly. Other online auctions have count-down timers, or at least say “going once, going twice, sold.” I was prepared to go way over the hammer price on that rod, so the seller, and Lang’s lost out.
That's sort of why I mentioned how many moving pieces there are. It's not in their interest to hammer early, so more than likely something else happened. It may have seemed quick to you, but if one of the online folks got distracted, or the system was slow to update and the auctioneer isn't seeing any change he/she will hammer in a reasonable amount of time, but it may not look that way to the online bidder. I've seen enough similar things happen at auctions where I know nothing sneaky happened that I'm certain it's pretty common. Most of the online houses add language to that in their terms as well because it comes up pretty often.

I think phone bidding is the most reliable method of remote bidding if it's offered. The auctioneer always checks with their phone rep(s) before hammering. I've only done that a couple of times, but it was for something I really wanted and didn't want to risk losing over an online issue.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

That was certainly a reel geek's paradise.

It's funny as collectors, if we aren't complaining about prices we are!

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

steeliefool wrote:
11/08/21 12:53
I was suprised to see rods with signaficant damage(8"to 9" of water damage!!) being auctioned. Always though Lang's offered only the best. And don't forget buyers premium and ship, apparently an additional 30%!!! Ouch.
And of course, what would we all do without Hardy, Hardy,Hardy! Guess nobody else in the world made excellent reels!
It's inconceivable the amount of Hardy fly reels offered on any given day. What did they make, 2 billion of them? It would seem that by now every person on earth owns one. I think Christ fished with a Hardy.

The Purist
Sport

Post by The Purist »

I did get a chuckle from the “engraved 1930’s pewter flask”. Those were sold by Orvis in the mid-1980’s and were embossed, not engraved.
I’ve got one lying around somewhere that is also dented (I sat on it). It was hard to fill unless you get a funnel with an itsy-bitsy spout on it. Wasted a lot of good Scotch trying to fill that thing.

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

No bids from me. This insanely inflated EC Powell market is being driven primarily by overseas buyers and yes, condition is everything. Sets, refinishing, short sections that “appear made that way” (uhhhh...no) - these things aren’t flying.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

JonesvilleRes wrote:
11/14/21 18:21
This insanely inflated EC Powell market is being driven primarily by overseas buyers
Can you clarify this --maybe with some examples?

bb

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

bearbutt wrote:
11/15/21 11:30
JonesvilleRes wrote:
11/14/21 18:21
This insanely inflated EC Powell market is being driven primarily by overseas buyers
Can you clarify this --maybe with some examples?

bb
+1 on this request.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

I know Jim Adams well and this info comes from him.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Is Langs really retired?

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

kakaryan wrote:
12/22/21 14:19
Is Langs really retired?
https://www.langsauction.com

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

WOW!!

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Wish then the best. I bought some of my favorite rods via their auctions.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

AlexP wrote:
11/07/21 13:47
Wow, I completely forgot about the auction and went fishing instead!
You did the best of anyone here. Just my own opinion, of course.

DougalMacDougal
Sport

Post by DougalMacDougal »

Well I’m pretty happy about how I did - a beautiful, blonde Payne 201 for $2200 (with buyer’s premium and shipping, more like $2800). I missed out on this rod over 30 years ago when Marty Keane sold it in his catalog no. 55 (1990), rod no. 66, for $3800.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”