Jeff Hatton Traveling Collection

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bluejayee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluejayee »

Hi Guys, I went yesterday to The Fly Fishing Show in Denver. Great Show but... The reason to go there is to see Jeff Hatton's traveling rod collection. It's very comprehensive and extensive. I drove a long way to get there and I'm thrilled to have gone. I'm sure many on this site have seen it but if not then borrow $15 from the old lady and hit the road. You won't regret it. Jay Edwards

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I completely agree with you Jay - if Jeff's collection comes ANYPLACE close to you, make it a point to go see it. I saw it a couple of years back at the Southern Rod Makers Gathering in AR. and was amazed, not only at the collection, but Jeff hauling it around different parts of the country so we could see our history. Wonderful collection and well worth taking a couple of hours to peruse and I'm sure Jeff has added some stuff since then. Bamboo rods have come a LONG way since some of those rods were made.

Pat
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman."
- Norman Maclean-A River Runs Through It

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

You're right Jay -- seeing that exhibit is worth some effort. Thanks to Jeff for his efforts at sharing his love of the heritage of our sport with the rest of us. And thanks also to those who helped Jeff -- especially John.

Wish you would have stopped by to say hello Jay -- would have enjoyed putting a face with your name. Or perhaps you did and it flew right over my head, in which case I apologize.

Harry Boyd

canesterdf
Master Guide

Post by canesterdf »

Hello All, I will agree with everything that Harry said and add that it was an honor to be asked to confer with Jeff on some appraisals that he was doing for folks. It was the third time I have seen the big boards full of rods of every age and description. I am very proud to have helped Jeff get a couple of those rods. The wall of rods is really an educational experience and one can spend hours moving up and down the wall of over 120years rodmaking history learning as you go. Jeff and his good friend John Opplander (I hope I spelled that right) had recently updated the story cards and added some colorful historic fly pattern displays that really helped the visual impact. Jeff's enthusiam is contagious and he and John will answer questions and add comments and more history if anyone asks. It is an exhibit that you just should not miss if you are anywhere close to where he is displaying his collection of rodmaking history. I also set up a booth of vintage stuff for sale at the Denver show. I had a great time and met a lot of board members. I look forward to seeing all of you again.Best,Paul

john channer
Master Guide

Post by john channer »

You guys forgot the best part, getting to meet and talk to Jeff! Jeff is truly amazing in his knowledge and enthusiasm for all things bamboo.
john

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jeff Hatton Traveling Collection

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Stop by and say Hello at the Denver show 2024
We can't wait to see you there!

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Dukejb
Sport

Post by Dukejb »

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see the collection a few years back, and I still reference his book frequently.

sniper-g

Post by sniper-g »

It and Jeff are truly amazing and should not be missed.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, When is the show this year? Is Jeff going to be there?

Jay Edwards

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Make plans forGTRS 2024
You too can see the Gnome's Traveling Rod Show in person!

Jeff will be there with the collection in its entirety again this year.
I will be there as well, it will be a hoot for sure.

~ stop by and tell us who you are from the forum in secret ~

Denver Show Info
Dates: January 19, 20 & 21, 2024

Time
Friday: 10am – 6pm
Saturday: 9am – 5:30pm
Sunday : 9am – 4:30pm

6700 North Gaylord Rockies Boulevard
Aurora, Colorado 80019 USA
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”