Jack Howell Rods - Photos

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

Post by cutthroattroutnm »

I was asked to put some pictures of Jack Howell's rods on the forum. Jack wrote The Lovely Reed, a book which many of you have read. Some have probably used it as a reference to build your own rods, or took advantage of his page after page of classic tapers. But his rods are quite rare. Jack lived in Albuquerque in the 1990s and that was how I met him, had him make me a rod, and got access to a couple of his rods from others. Here are photos of the ones I have. I'd love to see pictures and descriptions of others if they're available.

The first three are from a 7'6" for DT-5; his version of the Dickerson 7613 (1952 taper), 2/2. Jack has a numbering system to his rods (XXYY - where the XX is the last two digits of the year and YY is the rod number he built that year). This rod was built for me by Jack in 1995 (#9502). I used this rod almost exclusively for 8 years, fishing the San Juan and the Frying Pan Rivers in summer and winter at temperatures in execss of 100F (the San Juan in July), and at just above and just below 0F on both rivers. After 8 years, I had Jack refinish the rod (hence the R.03 designation he added to the rod at that time; this may be the only example of this designation). It is a magnificent rendition of Dickerson's original taper, crisp, fast, accurate, as comfortable at 10' as a 50', and able to handle trout over 20" with ease (well, with the "ease" that any 20"er is handled). I love Jack's cane work and attention to detail. Like Dickerson, and also Garrison, Jack tends towards the sparse, efficient finish. I had to plead with him to put on a hook keeper. I now also own an original Dickerson 7613 (1951 vintage rod), and Jack gives up nothing to the Master in terms of a casting tool, and IMHO is better at attention to detail. Jack used the Garrison technique spiral node construction on this rod and the tips are identical in node placing.

Image Image

The next three are of Jack's 7'9" for DT-5 made for Scott Nichols in 1994; 2/2. This also was constructed using the spiral node concept. This was actually the first rod of Jack's that I ever cast. Scott wanted a rod somewhat slower than the fast taper 1952 7613, and a little bit longer. At the time Scott told me that Jack made him this rod by extending the 1970 Dickerson 7613 taper (slightly slower than the 1952 taper) an additional three inches [I've never confirmed this with Jack, but that's about how it feels when casting]. Scott moved to Kansas and sold me this rod because, as he said, "there aren't a lot of trout in Kansas". Of that I'm not sure, but I'm really glad he sold it to me. If the rod above is the allegro movement in Jack's bamboo symphony, this is the andante movement.

The last three are photos of Jack's version of Payne's Canadian Canoe taper, for DT-6/WF-7, 8'6", 3/2. This rod is an absolute canon, able to hold 60' of line off the water in an aluminum fishing boat on the God's River, Manitoba. It's also pretty darn good at 15-20'. (By the way, there really is nothing like a 5 lb. God's River brook trout on bamboo in heavy water - that's the definition of a fair fight). I got this rod from someone who just didn't want that much rod for the trout streams of New Mexico and southern Colorado. I couldn't disagree with him, but I was glad he was willing to let it go for whatever the reason. Note that Jack's signature on this rod was a simple JH written as 1 letter up near the first female ferrule. Also constructed using a spiral node pattern, matched tips. This would be the bass drums and canons of the 1812 Overture.

The last photo is the of the trio all together, reeled up and ready to go. I used several musical analogies in this thread. Jack is a professional clarinet player, who has played for the New Mexico (Albuquerque) and Auckland (New Zealand) Symphonies (maybe more). I think he would approve of such descriptors. I hope you enjoy them. Sorry if there seems to be some curvature in the photos; they are all dead straight. Clearly I have better fly rods then cameras to take macro pictures. If by some chance, someone has one of Jack's rods that he no longer wants, please let me know. I'd be glad to take it off their hands.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Very, very nice indeed.
Thanks so much for sharing the information and photos!

Best regards,
Flyman Image
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

Michael,

Thanks so much for making me aware of Mr. Howells fine rods. Beautiflul pictures and lyrical descriptions!

I am able to tell by your writings and pictures that Mr. Howell's rods are of excellent build, as well as being quite beautiful in appearance.
I regretfully don't own one, and if I did it would probably have to be pried from my dying hand!

Bob Image

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

You're quite welcome. Jack wasn't making rods long enough for his rodmaking skill to become well known, but those of us who have his rods cherish them. Jack was a rare combination of an artist (a right brainer), and a craftsman (a left brainer). That made his rods both aesthetically pleasing and impeccably built. When he refinished my rod in 2003, he examined the entire stripped down sections under a microscope and didn't like what he saw at the nodes. He thought he saw some crazing. So, he clear-wrapped virtually every node (if you look closely in the pictures, you can see a couple of these). Incredible. It still feels like it did when it was brand new. The last time I contacted Jack, he said that he wasn't completely out of the rod making game, but that professional and family obligations were necessary priorities. He offered that he still thinks about the rods and believes he'll be back into them again sometime in the future. I certainly hope he does. While he's left a fine legacy, both in his book and his rods, there's clearly room for future accomplishments. He's living in the Pittsburgh area now. I'd like to one day get a group of "Howell Pittsburgh rods" to complement my "Howell Albuquerque rods". But only time will tell.

steeldog94
Guide

Post by steeldog94 »

Wow, nice pictures and nice rods. Thank you for the information and the photos.

john channer
Master Guide

Post by john channer »

It's nice to hear Jack is still around and thinking about getting back into rodmaking. I have never seen one of his rods ,but his book was more of an influence and inspiration to my own rodmaking than anything else. Thanks for sharing the information and the photos.
john

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

That trio is sure fine looking. Glad to see they are in the hands of someone who enjoys using them so much.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Alan

Soft Hackle
Master Guide

Post by Soft Hackle »

Beautiful rods, they convey a great sense of balance and proportion, elegance maybe is the word. I have never seen one of his rods anywhere for sale, I didn't realize he was a contemporary maker. I can see where John Channer's sense of aesthetics may have been inspired from as I own one of John's beautiful rods.
Last edited by Soft Hackle on 01/26/09 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

wbinn
Guide

Post by wbinn »

Last week while visiting a mid-Michigan fly shop known for it's collection of books I looked at a copy of "The Lovely Reed" that was on a shelf. Wonderful shape but marked at $500. Wow! I have an original so although I wasn't looking to buy I was shocked to see how his book has appreciated in value.
WBINN

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

I haven't seen one go at auction on that unmentionable place for less than $200 for some time now. Clearly what Jack had to say and how he said it are viewed as something of real value.

tylerlane
Sport

Post by tylerlane »

Jack is now busy with another craft that exercises his creatives ability. http://jwh.fastmail.fm/ Be sure to click on the gallery, and check out his work.

I met Jack a few years ago when he was a brand new Image maker, already making his mark on that community. Now I have shifted to rod making from Image making only to find Jack having already left a mark on this community. He is a talented fellow.

Tyler

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”