describe your most puzzling collectable rod or rods - four mysteries solved?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Jim
Regarding the Landman seat: if it has his patent date, then he or his son made it. Otherwise, it was a copy of the design made after the patent expired in about 1915. And purple and pongee were colors used on the Manitou, so I'm going with Rex on a Montague attribution.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

thanks, Jeff,

the patent date is on the locking wedding ring: pat. aug. 19th, 1890. the winding check appears to be one piece nickel silver(german silver). the wedding ring, cork check, and butt cap are soldered n. s. the butt cap is two piece as well. the re-wrapped colors are a light brown and yellow (or marigold) but are surely not original. my impression is that manitous were heavy duty rods while this one is light and delicate with a fine tip; which i have not as yet mic'ed.

regards, jim w

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Jim,

I'd guess you have a Landman made rod, as Jeff pointed out, since the patent date is stamped on the ring. I haven't seen many Landman rods, but yours looks very similar to the few that I have seen.
You wrote: "...my impression is that manitous were heavy duty rods while this one is light and delicate..."
Montague Manitous were made in several weights/tapers, as were most of the high-end models. They were typically made in Light Trout, Medium Trout and Bass Weight weights/tapers. It is difficult to determine which weight/taper you have. That's one of the factors that makes it difficult to compare high-end Montague rods to other rods, and even to other Montague Models. An 8'6" "Light Trout" model would equate to between a 2 and 3 weight by modern standards. I have a 1920's Red Wing Light Trout model that falls between a 2 and 3 weight rod. I also have a 10' Manitou, that is between a 4 and 5 weight rod. The Manitou and Red Wing were not introduced until about 1928. Prior to that, Montague had at least 20 light weight models, ranging in length between 6'6" and 9', which were very light and delicate. I should post pictures and stats for some of these later this winter.

. . . Rex TheMontyMan
. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

thanks Rex,

yes, i am familiar with the lightweight redwings. i also have a 6 foot 6 inch senate (one of three senate rods i have examined). it has the sheet cork handle and two tips, is hexagon in architecture(not round), and with typical montague hardware.

n. b. i have decided my landmann has a replacement buttcap also.

regards, jim w

nwdlj
Guide

Post by nwdlj »

Michael,
Thanks for the reply....it definitely helps to validate that it was a special order Model 60. Thanks for finding that section of the catalogue and analyzing what the rod. I also have discussions with several people close to that era of Michigan guides and it appears the rod was maybe a gift from a person who frequently ordered special orders from Heddon and gave them as gifts to his friends...so while its definitely an odd Heddon, and was probably the reason why I got it so cheap as everyone was put off from bidding on it, it is a Model #60 of that I am sure...thanks to the thread for helping to find this out and especially to Mike and others for helping me out on this rod....I am really looking forward to restoring it just as it is right now....dj

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

hello nwdlj,

thanks for showing us your rare heddon rod. and thanks to michael for the aid in positive identification it is a beauty.

regards, jim w

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: describe your most puzzling collectable rod or rods - fo

Post by adrien schnee »

This was an enjoyable thread to come across. As it’s from 11 years ago, perhaps others have new puzzles to share?

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

adrien schnee wrote:This was an enjoyable thread to come across. As it’s from 11 years ago, perhaps others have new puzzles to share?
hello, adrien, it was enjoyable. but, as charles holland duell believed that as there were no new ideas we might as well close the patent office, i guess there are no more mysterious rods among the members of this forum about which they are curious. ;)

regards, jim w
Last edited by Seabowisha Salmo T on 05/31/20 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Jim

how about this one;

a 10' 2 piece that the only identifier is the cheap stamped reel seat used in the 1890s a plate with rails with 2 bands that are bent over to act as a sliding band on the plate. The mortised butt section is hollow and is comprised of over 70 individual pieces of wood and bamboo and cork and is built as a 4 strip open truss. The tip section is solid greenheart and the rod will not handle over a 2 wt. No Markings and it came from England. for those who have seen this rod, they will agree it is one of the most puzzling rods ever made.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Gnome wrote:Jim

how about this one;

a 10' 2 piece that the only identifier is the cheap stamped reel seat used in the 1890s a plate with rails with 2 bands that are bent over to act as a sliding band on the plate. The mortised butt section is hollow and is comprised of over 70 individual pieces of wood and bamboo and cork and is built as a 4 strip open truss. The tip section is solid greenheart and the rod will not handle over a 2 wt. No Markings and it came from England. for those who have seen this rod, they will agree it is one of the most puzzling rods ever made.
hi, jeff; that is a headscratcher for sure. sounds like very labor intensive. could be a one-off? ; of course, i have absolutely no clue. ;D
regards. jim w

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”