Constable Wallop Brook

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

pmag
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by pmag »

I just purchased a staggered 7'6" Constable off the board. The rod is quite parabolic and casts a 5dt line with some vigor. I remember Anglers Mail of Cleveland selling these rods in the 70s. I'm interested in more information and knowing what other owners think of the rod.

Thanks,
pete

Reeldane
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Reeldane »

Pete

I have the original 6'9" Wallop Brook (Staggered) purchased from Dermot Wilson during his days at The Neather Wallop Mill. This beautefull place - where you could test the rods just outside the Mill, at the mill pond - in surroundings as taken from the Compleat Angler - today owned by Orvis. This rod is my favourite rod - so precise and delicate as no other I have (and I have a few good ones Image ).

If the 7'6" is just as good - you have some great hours in front of you - congrats !
Reeldane.

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by tedgolden »

Schwiebert had some good things to say about Constable rods in Trout II. I have the 6' 9" R H Woods version and I can say it is one of the finest casting rods I have. I'm not crazy about the ferrules or their mounting and have had to reset the female. I need to use it more. Semi parabolic as well. ImageImage

I found an old Angler's Mail catalog and have reproduced the pages on which this rod was offered as well as a bit of background on Cliff Constable.

pmag
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by pmag »

Thank you gents!

tbc1415
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by tbc1415 »

I have or have had multiple copies of both the 6'9" the 7'6" and the Empress. Of those three models I have found the most inconsistency in line weight and action from one example to the next within the 7'6" model. This summer I wanted to give a 7'6" to my brother as a gift and spent considerable time with three 7'6" Constables casting and comparing. This was only lawn casting but still it showed quite a difference between the three rods within the 7'6" model. The one I like the best is the most "parabolic" meaning the ratio of heavy tip to light mid butt was the greatest. Of the other two, both of which were less 'parabolic', plus one is about 1/2 a line size under while the other almost a full line size over. Having had this experience it has become hard to give anything other than a general description of that model's character. What I do know is that I consider my favorite one to be one heck of a rod. Utterly unique in my limited experience and full of ability.

TC

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by levertonhatches »

Reeldane -- I got mine from Wilson also, probably in his winding-up sale. I still have the catalogue; 1982? He was very high on the rods. And as you mention you got to "test" drive your rod on the River Test, or at least a carrier thereof (Wallop Brook), in the charmingly named village of Nether Wallop (just downstream from Middle Wallop and Upper Wallop).
Last edited by levertonhatches on 11/19/09 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

bamboorods
Sport

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by bamboorods »

I purchased my 7'6", staggered ferrule Wallop Brook in England many years ago. It came from a private collection. If memory serves me right I can remember reading some where that Constable had worked under Edouard Platet who colaborated with Chas. Ritz to develop their own tapers and were responsible for The PPP, Parabolic and the Fario Club tapers. My rod is # 812. Does anyone know how to date the rod? Maybe the time with Pezon et Michel was the influnce that would explain the staggered ferrule design. I used the rod to fish some of the Mich. rivers and streams. P.M. North branch of the Manistee, Jordan and Boardman. It still is a joy to cast.

Cheerio, Bamboorods

pmag
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by pmag »

Mine will be used to fish Michigan rivers also as I live in Marquette. Come on spring!

moregrayling
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by moregrayling »

levertonhatches wrote:...Upper Wallop
actualy, over wallop. sorry to be a smartass. a german smartass at that.

best from "krautland",
christian
Best,
Christian

Them, that knows nowt, fears nowt!

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by levertonhatches »

You are quite correct, thank you, and perhaps it was me, not you, trying to be the smartypants.

nwdlj
Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by nwdlj »

Nether Wallop, Middle Wallop and Upper Wallop...you gotta love the Brits...djImage

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by gmflyfish »

The Wallops are north of Salisbury and some of the water is part of the Salisbury and district anglers waters I had the pleasure to fish during my tenure in the UK. I managed to purchase a one tip Wallop Brook 7'6" for 20 pounds or about $40. I got if from a member of the Northhampton Fly Dresser Guild (another wonderful organization). The Northhampton bunch met at a pub tied flies and told lies. I really enjoyed their company and having the opportunity to fish with many of them. The Wallop still gets fished in Montana. Forgot to mention the Wheat Sheaf pub in Middle Wallop....

Gregg

tbc1415
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by tbc1415 »

bamboorods wrote:I purchased my 7'6", staggered ferrule Wallop Brook in England many years ago. My rod is # 812. Does anyone know how to date the rod?

Cheerio, Bamboorods
I also have a burning desire to know how to date the rods or any other information the serial numbers might reveal. I have talked to one of the former owners of Anglers Mail about just that. Unfortunately he did not know either. I suspect Edward Barder may have some clues as I believe he bought some of Constables tools and supplies after Cliff's passing. I have not yet contacted him about it.

TC

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Eperous »

Pete,

Many fond memories...

One of my early cane rods was an R.H. Woods 7' 6" Constable that I purchased from Angler's Mail in Ohio. At the time, I loved that rod till I broke the tip and we parted ways...

Thanks...

Ed

Hillrod

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Hillrod »

TC

You are quite right. I bought a 7' 6" Wallop Brook at auction a few years ago. I took it to Edward Barder for restoration. He had unbeknown to me at the time, purchased all of Cliff Constables stock of rod making parts from his widow. Needless to say he did a fabulous restoration job after dark mutterings about possible delamination in the tip (turned out to be a clicking sound from a loose ferrule!) The rod now has all original fittings and a varnish job to match the 8' 5wt I bought from Edward.

regards

Phil

Reeldane
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Reeldane »

tbc1415 wrote:
bamboorods wrote:I purchased my 7'6", staggered ferrule Wallop Brook in England many years ago. My rod is # 812. Does anyone know how to date the rod?

Cheerio, Bamboorods
I also have a burning desire to know how to date the rods or any other information the serial numbers might reveal. I have talked to one of the former owners of Anglers Mail about just that. Unfortunately he did not know either. I suspect Edward Barder may have some clues as I believe he bought some of Constables tools and supplies after Cliff's passing. I have not yet contacted him about it.

TC
TC
If you ever do, I think we are quite a few - who would like to know about these serial no's - my 6' 9" are marked 372 - an for a period I thought that it related to 1972 (februar) - but after I have seen a few other Constable rods - it must be something else. So do it before it's too late - we need to know out here Image
Thanks
Heinz

czkid
Administrator

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by czkid »

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Remember, Brit rods are lousy... slow and cumbersome... etc. etc. That's why the prices are where they are right now... if you let these guys know what neat rods they really are.... they're going to want them. So "mums" the word. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ralph
CZKid

Dewardian
Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Dewardian »

Be assured Constable rods do not leak oil, or have anything to do with Lucas electronics, (From the Dark side).

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by gmflyfish »

Owned a few British cars - they had trouble running in the rain - electronics always a challenge. My Father and I took a sunbeam tiger(Maxwell Smarts car in the original Get Smart) it had a 260 ford v-8 - Roots and Lucas parts. We re did the entire electrics going to 12 volt. Dropped a tweaked 289 and I had a car that worked in the rain. Oh and the Wallop Brook is one of my favorite rods and it does work in the rain - I do dry it off before putting it in the tube for the ride home. It then goes on the drying rack in the living room.

Gregg

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by wb4tjh »

I bought a couple of Sharpes bamboos from Anglers Mail...but they still owe me $41.50 on an order that I sent them many years ago....they suddenly went out of buseness and absconded with mine and many others' money. I met one of the former owners of Anglers Mail at the FFF Conclave in Mountain Home one year...when I casually mentioned my disdain at being screwed out of my money, the guy quickly disappeared. I'm still peeved.
[font=][shadow]
[/shadow][/font]
Bill Anderson, Southwest Missouri Ozarks "My rod and my staff, they comfort me".

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”