Constable Wallop Brook

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Reeldane
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by Reeldane »

nwdlj wrote:Nether Wallop, Middle Wallop and Upper Wallop...you gotta love the Brits...djImage
DJ - we do - we do, just like we love you guys - despite your odd citynames:

Stinking Bay and Toad Suck (both Arkansas), Hooker Corner (Indiana), Kickapoo (Kansas) - or what about Humptulips in your home state !

Reeldane

tbc1415
Master Guide

Constable Wallop Brook

Post by tbc1415 »

Reeldane wrote:
tbc1415 wrote:
bamboorods wrote:I purchased my 7'6", staggered ferrule Wallop Brook in England many years ago. My rod is # 812. Does anyone know how to date the rod?

Cheerio, Bamboorods
I also have a burning desire to know how to date the rods or any other information the serial numbers might reveal. I have talked to one of the former owners of Anglers Mail about just that. Unfortunately he did not know either. I suspect Edward Barder may have some clues as I believe he bought some of Constables tools and supplies after Cliff's passing. I have not yet contacted him about it.

TC

TC
If you ever do, I think we are quite a few - who would like to know about these serial no's - my 6' 9" are marked 372 - an for a period I thought that it related to 1972 (februar) - but after I have seen a few other Constable rods - it must be something else. So do it before it's too late - we need to know out here Image
Thanks
Heinz
I have been in touch with Edward and he has graciously responded at length regarding his association with Clifford. In addition he has given permission to circulate his response to those who might be interested.

To those interested parties, please send me a message through this board with your contact preferences and information and I will pass it on.

TC

stlhdr1st
Guide

Re: Constable Wallop Brook

Post by stlhdr1st »

some 10 years late..however is Edward,s response still available?

snowdog
Sport

Post by snowdog »

I have a 6' 9" Wallop Brook cane and a 7' 6" fiberglass rod made by Constable and would appreciate any information/history about these rods, how to date them, or the maker himself.
Thanks,
Mike

mdwwhw
Guide

Post by mdwwhw »

If your 7’6” fiberglass Constable is spigot ferruled with a white spigot you likely have a Sceptre, a line of tapers sold by Angler’s Mail but fabricated by Hardy. Quite a bit of discussion over on Fiberglass Flyrodders.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

These have all gone to new owners now, so not available, but there are some interesting descriptions and comments on these rods.

General: https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/th ... f-bromley/

6’9” #4 (2/1) https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/th ... t-fly-rod/

7’6” #5 (2/1) https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/th ... t-fly-rod/

8’2” #6 (2/1) https://www.barder-rod.co.uk/product/th ... t-fly-rod/

Original descriptions from the 1976 catalogue (courtesy of splitcaneinfo.com) on page 3 https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... n-1976.pdf

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I tried to buy all three of those Wallop Brook rods, described above by JabiliHunter. Edward Barder listed them at £600 each or £1500 for the three. By the time I could contact him the two shorter rods were sold so I am now the owner of the 8'3" (the Barder rod is 8'3" although the original Constable is described as 8'2").

I did not really need all three as I have two original, Constable-built, 6'9", Wallop Brook rods.

The 8'3" is a rod I am very pleased to own. I prefer it in every way to my 8'3", Wilson International from the same stable (see the catalogue link above).

I have a 1976 Dermot Wilson price list which shows:

Wilson International £50.72
Wallop Brook 6'9" £30.24
Wallop Brook 7'6" £29.70
Wallop Brook 8'2" £32.40

The 6'9" Wallop Brook is a wonderful rod in my opinion. It is very powerful, and accurate at short and long distances. The build and finish is a bit basic so I can understand why they do not command top prices when they come up for sale but, as rods to fish with, they are a bargain at current prices. I paid £300 for one in new condition last year.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=446&p=877047#p877047

Choon

Post by Choon »

Hello, Gentlemen,

Back in the seventies I bought a Dermot Wilson Wallop Brook rod, 8'2". I had no sooner started to use it (a sweet rod) when I was lured by the technical advances of carbon fibre, and it has been stored in the intervening years. It is in lovely nick.

I'm going to sell it, and, because I can't remember exactly when I bought it I am hoping to establish its year from its number, which is 1280. Any advice from you knowledgeable guys?

Best regards, from across the pond.

Peter

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”