f e thomas single no. rod current --- measuring no. 4 rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: f e thomas single no. rod information requested, please

Post by headwaters »

Don't forget to let us know how it goes!

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Sure will..I do need to clarify something..If the rod was made in 1914, that would make it about 103 y/o..not 98..Thought that 98 number in my previous post might have some folks thinking I was commenting on my age..That 98 would be a yet..one worth working towards..but a yet all the same!!*G* ;) :D :o :lol

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

bump

as long as i am awake and hiding from my cardiologist, are there anymore f e thomas rod caretakers out there who would care to provide the pertinent information to move this investigation forward? any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

regards,

jim w

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

Good Morning Jim,

Since my last post I have purchased two addition rods:

FET Special is a 7’ 9”, weight 3.5 oz. with intermediate wraps
7.5” all cork and reel seat handle
9 with a dot under the 9 marked on the center of the butt cap
Distance from keeper to stripper = 18 3/4 inches
OD male ferrules 15/64 and 10/64
Butt has 17 intermediates, 1 inch separation
Mid has 28 intermediates, 3/4 - 5/8 inch separations
Tip has 42 intermediates, 5/8 - 3/8 inch separations

FET Dirigo is a 8.5’, weight 4.5 oz. with intermediate wraps
6” cork handle,3 ¼” metal reel seat
5 marked on the center of the butt cap
No keeper, distance from end of cork to stripper = 19 1/2 inches
OD male ferrules 16/64 and 10/64
Butt has 15 intermediates, 1 ¼ -1 1/8 inch separation
Mid has 22 intermediates, 1 1/8 - 3/4 inch separations
Tip has 38 intermediates, 3/4 – 1/2 inch separations

-tomVT

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Just wanted to add that when I was last at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum where Bob Stewart was placing a large number of his FET rods for display he was fielding questions and one was about the 6’8” Special and why no 6’6”, Bob stated that he’d seen one 6’6” original Special and it belongs to that gentleman, he was pointing at me, so at least 1 real one exits.
banjo

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

hello tomvt,
many thanks for the information. it is a little offputting to determine the individual lengths of all cork seats and handles so combined length is important.

highest regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

fishnbanjo wrote:Just wanted to add that when I was last at the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum where Bob Stewart was placing a large number of his FET rods for display he was fielding questions and one was about the 6’8” Special and why no 6’6”, Bob stated that he’d seen one 6’6” original Special and it belongs to that gentleman, he was pointing at me, so at least 1 real one exits.
banjo
thanks for that, canefather! i have only two 6 - 8's to offer in trade but would be willing to throw in a 6 - 6 senate with two tips :rollin

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Lol! I’m not selling it, when I got it it had suffered varnish meltdown after being in an attic with 100 or so other bamboo fly rods for 75 years. I have 90 plus hours into polishing it and was quite surprised to see the wrap colors were not what they originally appeared to be, they are a magenta color and the color of the bamboo is reminiscent of Paul Young, perhaps an early attempt to Browntone it, I like the rod a lot.
banjo

red 1
Master Guide

Re: f e thomas

Post by red 1 »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:can it be that norimasa and i have 75% of all the f e thomas rods marked "4" on the buttcap known to forum members? (two nine foot rods and one eight foot rod) cwfly lists one other, a 7foot 6 inch browntone (no further description). as this thread has turned up fewer than thirty rods retaining intermediate wraps; i must conclude that these are very rare items, indeed.

if only someone could provide information on at least one more "4" rod, in any condition, the data would be most greatly appreciated.

highest regards, jim w
I have one at Bobby Taylor’s for a touch up and to scarf a tip. 9’ full intermediate wraps, # 4 on the reel seat. Dirgo, casts a 4//3 well. Very pleasant rod to fish. May be a while but when I have it back I can send you some information on it
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

fishnbanjo wrote:Lol! I’m not selling it, when I got it it had suffered varnish meltdown after being in an attic with 100 or so other bamboo fly rods for 75 years. I have 90 plus hours into polishing it and was quite surprised to see the wrap colors were not what they originally appeared to be, they are a magenta color and the color of the bamboo is reminiscent of Paul Young, perhaps an early attempt to Browntone it, I like the rod a lot.
banjo
heh heh. i suspected the 6 - 6 is a pearl without price. i believe you have mentioned this rod before, perhaps with images?

highest regards, jim w

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote: heh heh. i suspected the 6 - 6 is a pearl without price. i believe you have mentioned this rod before, perhaps with images?

highest regards, jim w
I have, but only sneak peek photos, first time was the male ferrule along with one from the 7 1/3’ Mahogany Fairy and a Eustis Edwards Autograph Deluxe Perfection, and the shaft once along with a section of Martha Marie Young’s Perfectionist rod to show how much it looked like a Paul Young rod, regards.
banjo

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

fishnbanjo wrote:
Seabowisha Salmo T wrote: heh heh. i suspected the 6 - 6 is a pearl without price. i believe you have mentioned this rod before, perhaps with images?

highest regards, jim w
I have, but only sneak peek photos, first time was the male ferrule along with one from the 7 1/3’ Mahogany Fairy and a Eustis Edwards Autograph Deluxe Perfection, and the shaft once along with a section of Martha Marie Young’s Perfectionist rod to show how much it looked like a Paul Young rod, regards.
banjo
well, would that be a compliment to paul young, or to edwards and thomas? would that be "lord of the rings" thread???

again, regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: f e thomas

red 1 wrote:
Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:can it be that norimasa and i have 75% of all the f e thomas rods marked "4" on the buttcap known to forum members? (two nine foot rods and one eight foot rod) cwfly lists one other, a 7foot 6 inch browntone (no further description). as this thread has turned up fewer than thirty rods retaining intermediate wraps; i must conclude that these are very rare items, indeed.

if only someone could provide information on at least one more "4" rod, in any condition, the data would be most greatly appreciated.

highest regards, jim w
I have one at Bobby Taylor’s for a touch up and to scarf a tip. 9’ full intermediate wraps, # 4 on the reel seat. Dirgo, casts a 4//3 well. Very pleasant rod to fish. May be a while but when I have it back I can send you some information on it
red 1 i will be very glad to receive the information from your rod.
regards, jim w

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I once fished an 8 foot FET that belonged to a close friend, I think was a 3 1/2 oz. with full intermediate wraps and an all cork reel seat.
I realize it’s not a “single number” rod, the butt cap was stamped with 44 and if I remember correctly the grip was 7” in length. Sorry, that is about all I can remember as I never counted the number of cork rings nor measured the spacing of the intermediate wraps. I do remember however that it had very little, if any swell in the butt. A very lovely rod and elegant rod to cast. I’m not positive if he still has the rod, it’s been several years since I’ve seen him, but I would love to check in with him and see if he still has it.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

uniquafly wrote:I once fished an 8 foot FET that belonged to a close friend, I think was a 3 1/2 oz. with full intermediate wraps and an all cork reel seat.
I realize it’s not a “single number” rod, the butt cap was stamped with 44 and if I remember correctly the grip was 7” in length. Sorry, that is about all I can remember as I never counted the number of cork rings nor measured the spacing of the intermediate wraps. I do remember however that it had very little, if any swell in the butt. A very lovely rod and elegant rod to cast. I’m not positive if he still has the rod, it’s been several years since I’ve seen him, but I would love to check in with him and see if he still has it.
uniqua, i too would enjoy casting that rod. do not have many rods shorter than 8 feet. learned flycasting in sodak where the wind comes whistlin' down the plains from sodak to oklah00ma,o. k.which means long casts and keep backcast out of the weeds.
regards, jm w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

gentlemen, would those of you having f e thomas rods with hardy style downlocking reel seats be kind enough to provide to me the length of the reel seats together with the length of the cork handles? many thanks in advance! :)

jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
fishnbanjo wrote:

highest regards, jim w
banjo
well, would that be a compliment to paul young, or to edwards and thomas? would that be "lord of the rings" thread???

again, regards, jim w
comments from the canefather himself concerning some one-off rods from pandora's box. i already miss this man very much.

jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:gentlemen, would those of you having f e thomas rods with hardy style downlocking reel seats be kind enough to provide to me the length of the reel seats together with the length of the cork handles? many thanks in advance! :) specifically, the 1930's period downlocking seat with the black synthetic insert, wood screw securing butt cap and having no number; only noted on dirigo.

jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: f e thomas single no. rod info sought x whiners

gentlemen and ladies,
HERE, i can give the whiners something to cry about. there are a number of new members who have not contributed to this unscientific study. the grim reaper approaches. i am considering a pelosy / "shift", and plan to reach conclusions without evidence. as bill said to paula, "i don't have much time." i am seeking the following information: length, type and diameter of reel seat; length of handle; distance from butt to first guide, ferrule sizes; for nine and eight foot rods. no outliers or ringers, please.
thank you in advance for your participation. regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:number length model reel handle stripper ferrule
on butt number seat to butt size

4 ... 8' 0" ... spl ... 3 5/16 ... 5 5/8 ... 27 1/4 ... 0.25
4 ... 9' 0" ... dir ... 3 5/8..... 5 3/8 ... 31 ... ... 0.26
4 ... 9' 0" ... spl ... 3 3/8.... 5 5/8 ... 30 1/2 ... 0.25

5 ... 10' 0" .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 6 3/8 ... 24 ... ... 0.28
5 ... 10' 0' .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 5 3/4 ... 24 ... ... 0.28

6 or 9 8' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 3/4 29 1/2 0.27
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2 24 1/4 0.31
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2

0 9 '0" spl 3 1/2 6 24 1/4 0.30
0 9' 6" spl 3 1/2 5 24 1/4 0.30

diamond 9' 0" spl 3 1/2 5 3/4 30 0.35
http://imgur.com/P9YTWV8

Imagethis does not display conveniently, i should put it in MS office, i suppose!

Imageregards, jim w
at the risk of appearing to be beating the horse, i respectfully bump this list of f e thomas rods. i have now accumulated several more single digit rods for the database. pulpwood being in demand, we are having forty acres of 80 year old pines at my rod shop cut and marketed. he's a lumberjack and he's o k; but he makes a hexx of a mess. when i can i will add the data from the new rods to this list. please bear with me. regards, jim w

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”