f e thomas single no. rod current --- measuring no. 4 rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: f e thomas single no. rod information requested, please

Post by Flykuni3 »

solo8232000 wrote:I have a F E Thomas Special 9', 3/2 which Steve Campbell told me was a pre 1935 specimen. I have several images but I am unable to display those images on PB at present. I got an email from them yesterday that since I was using their site to post to a 3rd Party (our forum) website I would have to upgrade..As yet I have not been successful in paying their fees for the basic service, although the payment for the no ad upgrade did go thru .. Currently working with their folks to see if we can iron that out. It costs $60 for 52G annual storage..that is about a jillion images..400 pics per gig or 28000 images..so not really a jillion..or that's what they say..not sure what resolution they support...anyway that is another story..all in all that's not a bad deal!!

I have taken several images of the rod which show the red wraps and beige or yellow tipping wraps, red intermediates, NS slide band with NS butt cap. The hook keeper is very small and is built in to the winding stop. The butt cap has 2 concentric rings around the number 4.

Nathan
Solo8232000
I have this rod's smaller brother at 7 1/2', 3/2, they look very similar. Mine was restored by Walt Carpenter and has red wraps with some black tipping, but cane and overall look are similar. Three concentric rings on cap, or is it two rings and an O?

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Flykuni3 wrote:
solo8232000 wrote:I have a F E Thomas Special 9', 3/2 which Steve Campbell told me was a pre 1935 specimen. I have several images but I am unable to display those images on PB at present. I got an email from them yesterday that since I was using their site to post to a 3rd Party (our forum) website I would have to upgrade..As yet I have not been successful in paying their fees for the basic service, although the payment for the no ad upgrade did go thru .. Currently working with their folks to see if we can iron that out. It costs $60 for 52G annual storage..that is about a jillion images..400 pics per gig or 28000 images..so not really a jillion..or that's what they say..not sure what resolution they support...anyway that is another story..all in all that's not a bad deal!!

I have taken several images of the rod which show the red wraps and beige or yellow tipping wraps, red intermediates, NS slide band with NS butt cap. The hook keeper is very small and is built in to the winding stop. The butt cap has 2 concentric rings around the number 4.

Nathan
Solo8232000
I have this rod's smaller brother at 7 1/2', 3/2, they look very similar. Mine was restored by Walt Carpenter and has red wraps with some black tipping, but cane and overall look are similar. Three concentric rings on cap, or is it two rings and an O?
hello, fly, that csn be a "0" in the center, "0" is oval, not round like ring.
hello, nathan, yes, your rod is much older than 1935, probably 1913 to 1920 something.
reggards, jim w

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Hi Jim, thanks, I just checked again and the O is round not oval at all.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Here's that rod, Pagosa Springs, San Juan river.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

hello, fly, that is an elegant fishing rod; for sure!

regards and thanks,

jim w

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:hello, fly, that is an elegant fishing rod; for sure!

regards and thanks,

jim w
I like the photo of the little barefoot dude!

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Webfly wrote:

regards and thanks,

jim w
"opie" from san luis mayberry?...j w

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Webfly wrote:

regards and thanks,

jim w
He is my mascot and spirit animal, so to speak. Photo’d him all over, take him to Cane Mutiny gatherings. Everyone loves him, the Eternal Fisherman I call him ( bought off that site, no idea who he is).

The unit patch of the 442nd is always on my vest.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

hello, ladies and gentlemen; . .new information for any interested readers. the woodcutters have departed and repaired the lane to the rod shop. i am now in process of locating all of my single number f e thomas rods and will (soon) present expanded results (of the analysis of the relationship of stamped number on butt to reel seat and handle) to date.

regards, jim w

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
08/06/15 11:55
number length model reel handle stripper ferrule
on butt number seat to butt size

4 ... 8' 0" ... spl ... 3 5/16 ... 5 5/8 ... 27 1/4 ... 0.25
4 ... 9' 0" ... dir ... 3 5/8..... 5 3/8 ... 31 ... ... 0.26
4 ... 9' 0" ... spl ... 3 3/8.... 5 5/8 ... 30 1/2 ... 0.25

5 ... 10' 0" .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 6 3/8 ... 24 ... ... 0.28
5 ... 10' 0' .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 5 3/4 ... 24 ... ... 0.28

6 or 9 8' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 3/4 29 1/2 0.27
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2 24 1/4 0.31
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2

0 9 '0" spl 3 1/2 6 24 1/4 0.30
0 9' 6" spl 3 1/2 5 24 1/4 0.30

diamond 9' 0" spl 3 1/2 5 3/4 30 0.35
http://imgur.com/P9YTWV8

Imagethis does not display conveniently, i should put it in MS office, i suppose!

Imageregards, jim w
some of my f e thomas rods and a few leonards. bump to front

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

gentle persons, as i rediscover and measure the f e thomas rods i have available i would appreciate and solicit any comments, discussions, observations, and/or tirekickings any of you might submit to help the project to move along to completion. if i had the stamina of jeff hatton, and the eyesight of the gorgon, medusa, i might finish sooner rather than later.

highest regards, jim w (in the woodshed - uhh, rodshop). . :)

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

well, 30,000 looks, wow, i should throw a party. i am assured norimasa would have never have guessed that a rather quiet request for information to help him place a year of crafting of early f e thomas rods (intervals of intermediates) would have been so interesting to so many persons. the study of the meaning of the number question is an interesting byproduct of his inquisitiveness. i am constantly amazed by the search by some for the year and if possible day of making of a particular fishing rod. to me other criteria are of more importance, but, to each his own. i am currently measuring the rods i have in my possession and hope to be able to accompany the data with images of each rod. i may complete the project before the treasure of oak island is uncovered. . .regards, jim w .

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

I have been enjoying this thread for several years now, and have leaned a lot about the process
of 'forensic rod analysis', that with great joy and muster, we engage each other with here on the Forum.
Somehow today it struck me that I haven't contributed.

Here are a few views of an 8 1/2ft Browntone Special I have been caretaking these past few years.
I am the second owner, having acquired it after its emergence from under the staircase of a
Southern Big House where it had spent some 70+ years unfished. Southern salty humidity had taken its toll,
and it needed all the snakes and tip-tops replaced and stripper re-wrapped.
As a result, tips are down ~ 1/2inch, but That's All!
Kathy at Mike Clark's shop masterfully rewrapped the snakes. The finish was remarkably intact,
along with all the intermediates & signature wraps, and responded well to a careful 'clean&polish' routine.
Original bag & tube, that got a well-deserved new sticker.

Per this thread, the butt cap is marked with a 6 (or 9?) w/ a (square) dot under (over?), and three concentric rings.
So, 1916 (or '19?) which matches with the provenance I received from the owner's family.
It pairs well with several period JWY reels and casts a 5DT wonderfully at 40-50ft.
I have fished it lightly and shared it at a couple of the recent Bamboo Bashes in Townsend to good comments.

Image Image Image Image

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

According to the Stewart & Girard FET book, the square punch indent with numerals on the end of the butt cap indicates that the rod was completed in 1939. So, the rod would have been either the 6th or 9th rod of 695 made that year. For comparison, both of my 1939 rods have the square indent above the number.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

thank you gentlemen for the images and information. i h,ave a few 6 or 9 number rods with the dot punch indent, but no single number rods with the square indent. i think i have a streamer nine foot rod with the square punch and no number; will have to look. f e thomas rods are so very interesting.
regards, jim w (in the woodshed)

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

08/24/20 17:03
08/06/15 11:55
number length model reel handle stripper ferrule
on butt number seat to butt size

4 ... 8' 0" ... spl ... 3 5/16 ... 5 5/8 ... 27 1/4 ... 0.25
4 ... 9' 0" ... dir ... 3 5/8..... 5 3/8 ... 31 ... ... 0.26
4 ... 9' 0" ... spl ... 3 3/8.... 5 5/8 ... 30 1/2 ... 0.25

5 ... 10' 0" .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 6 3/8 ... 24 ... ... 0.28
5 ... 10' 0' .. spl ... 3 3/4 .... 5 3/4 ... 24 ... ... 0.28

6 or 9 8' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 3/4 29 1/2 0.27
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2 24 1/4 0.31
6 or 9 9' 6" spl 3 5/8 6 1/2

0 9 '0" spl 3 1/2 6 24 1/4 0.30
0 9' 6" spl 3 1/2 5 24 1/4 0.30

diamond 9' 0" spl 3 1/2 5 3/4 30. . . . . .this list will be expanded to accomodate new information.
i cannot speak for other makers, but i can definitively soeak for f e thomas special rods that thomas modified montague all metal reel seats in 1/8 inch increments from 3 5/16 to 4 1/4 inches (at least, maybe more) in overall length. most weight in a fly rod is in the butt. most weight in butt is in the reel seat and handle. every 1/8 inch increases or reduces weight of the butt. reel seat to some degree dictates the longest reel foot and vaguely heaviest reel which can be conveniently mounted on a specific rod. f e thomas marked MOST! of his all metal reel seats with a distinctive single number. this, therefore, is a bookkeeping-inventory number to assist in putting the modified all metal reel seat in the correct inventory bin-attributed to "bob or walt". all cork and wood insert reel seats have the corresponding number stamped on the buttcap to designate the overall seat length for a particular section taken from a 48 inch? bamboo blank. this provides a number of "different' actions. in the oncoming days, you will see a pattern developing concerning the relationship between reel seat, handle, and cut rod sections from blanks. happy reading, regards, jim w

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: f e thomas single no. rod current information

Post by headwaters »

Sea Salmo--

A diamond indent punch with no number indicates the rod was completed in 1936.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

headwaters wrote:
10/18/20 12:41
Sea Salmo--

A diamond indent punch with no number indicates the rod was completed in 1936.
yes, thank you, it may have a number, may be a square. when it surfaces i will report same. it appearing in this list, i suspect it does indeed have a single number on the butt. it is shown here in the forum on the show your streamers thread. lost a good part of my memory at piedmont heart! regards, jim w

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

My 8' 3/2 Dirigo has the three concentric rings like a bullseye target and no number or punch mark. My best information is that the rod dates from about 1918. Restored by Dennis Menscer, the rod is a wonderful casting and fishing tool, beautiful, and has among others a 24" wild Delaware brown trout to its credit. I like it with a 5 weight, typically a Rio Light Line DT5F, though a WF5 Sylk works nicely too.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Caneghost wrote:
10/18/20 13:54
My 8' 3/2 Dirigo has the three concentric rings like a bullseye target and no number or punch mark. My best information is that the rod dates from about 1918. Restored by Dennis Menscer, the rod is a wonderful casting and fishing tool, beautiful, and has among others a 24" wild Delaware brown trout to its credit. I like it with a 5 weight, typically a Rio Light Line DT5F, though a WF5 Sylk works nicely too.
thank you, caneghost for the look at a very handsome dirigo rod. i have two dirigo 8 foot rods, and my most fished rod is the frankenrod thomas 8 footer with marvin k hedge thumb, a 1 inch too long mid, and a one inch too short tip; but is an excellent fishing tool! i understand that dennis is a master restorer of f e thomas rods.
reggards, jim w

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”