Calcutta Bamboo vs. Tonkin Cane

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Bruce Day
Sport

Post by Bruce Day »

Kindly excuse my ignorance. I have seen references to both Calcutta bamboo and to Tonkin cane. My understanding is that Tonkin cane is a bamboo specie and is the superior for fine rod building. Where does Calcutta bamboo fit in to fine rod making?  Is my understanding correct?

Also, over the years I have seen many references to pre embargo cane, presumably Tonkin cane. However, also to my understanding, Tonkin cane is not like old growth hardwood with dense growth rings, as none of this cane when in the ground is more than a few seasons old. While I understand about aging and proper drying of any wood material, what does the years ago "embargo" have to do with quality of a rapid growing plant like bamboo?  Not a smart-aleck question, its something I've long not understood and I look for enlightenment.

So goes my understanding of Tonkin cane. Now about 40 years ago, I had some non fishing, land and air based adventures by the Tonkin Gulf.      

tim simbari
Master Guide

Post by tim simbari »

Bruce,  Tonkin cane is generally more suitable because it tends to have denser layers of power cells and has less pith. I know several builders have begun using some Calcutta that they find suitable, in particular, for a more progressive action.
   Some of the best of the pre embargo stuff left is still considered wonderfull but it's getting hard to believe there's too much left that was select. I'd guess the fact that the stuff that has been properly stored has seasoned rather nicely like gunstock walnut but some of the culms coming in from this modern effort would seem to really be as good as anything ever brought here. 

Marty
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Marty »

There are some great old rods out there made of Calcutta..... it was used for some time till Tonkin was settled on....  I know there are many very valid power fiber and other reasons Tonkin is the bamboo of choice but I've cast a lot of really sweet old rods made of calcutta............It would be neat to cast the same taper executed by the same maker in both.....  I don't think that it would be easy to get calcutta of the correct quality as Royer and Demarest don't deal in it......   The makers I know mostly say that the pre embargo stuff left is not as good as the stuff they're getting now and they attribute it to whats left being the dregs....They also all say that the current stuff is truly great.........  I agree with Tim that there's also a large "seasoning" factor of bamboo thats been in a shop curing for a long time
Marty's Rules of Fishing #7. Fishing only with store bought flies is like trying to talk to a pretty girl through an interpreter it works sort of …it will work far better if you learn the language and tie your own flies…more satisfying and more effective.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”