D.G. Schroeder Rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

I have the opportunity to trade for a 7ft 9in 5wt Schroeder rod.......it weighs 4.1 oz.    Not being overly familiar with this maker, I would appreciate any thoughts and advice from those who know about or might have had a rod like this.....the condition is pretty decent, not mint at all, but certainly very good plus.....the owner is wanting to swap for my Granger Victory 7030.....and I would say that condition is equal.....I would like to know what you guys think about the "fishing" quality of the Schroeder rod.......and the relative values...thanks, steve

alistair59
Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by alistair59 »

Rod and builder don't come much finer. Assuming the rod you're interested in is a 2/2 hex, it is likely based on a Garrison 209e. What is the s/n?. 
Assuming no structural issues, what cosmetic issues does it have?
Tight Lines!
Alistair

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by 16pmd »

I haven't cast that particular Schroeder model, but, based on your description of condition of the two rods, I'd trade in a heartbeat.  Don Schroeder's workmanship is outstanding and you would be getting an individual craftsman's rod, much more limited in number than the production rod you would be giving up. The Schroeders I have cast have all been quite good.  I have a Granger Victory 7030 and if you didn't want to do the trade, I would happily take your place. 

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by paxlev »

Don builds fine, very nice casting, rods. I agree, all things being equal, I would do the trade. Ric

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by PYochim »

Steve,

Don builds a fine rod.  I have two of them.  I don't have any experience with that particular  rod, but that decision would be very easy for me. 
I feel good. James Brown

Southbranch
Master Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by Southbranch »

I have one of Don's 7'9" 2/2 5 wt. quads. His quads ususally have an action similar to his hex rods of the same length. I also have a WM Granger Deluxe 7030 (coincidentally, restored by Don for a 3rd party).

I've only fished each rod 2 or 3 times so far, but I prefer the way the Schroeder casts. The Granger is a short, fast action rod while the Schroeder has a progressive, medium action and is a lot smoother. You'd be getting the better part of the trade.

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Alistair, 16pmd, paxlev PYochim, & Southbranch,
I got the swap completed, thank you all very much for your advice and input......I got the rod cleaned up and polished up, put a line on it and went to the back yard, it was Wonderful!.....so I called the other party, and said ok.....done deal.....everyone is happy!
thanks so much,
Steve

HERMES2069
Master Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by HERMES2069 »

Good choice.I have his Quad in 7'-9" 5wt config.7'-9" is my favorite length. I have 5 rods of that length under construction. His taper are all nice.

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

Gentlemen,
Just to close the loop on the Schroeder rod, I fished it all afternoon, it is a very pleasant rod to use....powerful, accurate, easy on the arm, plays fish beautifully .....I could not be happier.....thanks again to all of you who advised me on this....
Best regards.
Steve

j2t
Guide

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by j2t »

I have a 7'9" 3 piece Schroeder.  Very sweet casting rod.

teacher65
Sport

D.G. Schroeder Rod

Post by teacher65 »

Steve, if you made the swap Don's rod will  become your favorite .
I have the 7'9" in the 3/2 configuration 5wt and it is mine.
Bob   aka teacher65

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”