Meet the Constables

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Meet the Constables

Post by nativebrownie »

A few more pages from Anglersmail - great company - great memories - great rods... I remember a beautiful brown from the Amawalk Outlet on a small henryville and a Constable 6'9" (a million moons ago)...

gearboy
Guide

Meet the Constables

Post by gearboy »

Great thread ! Thanks for posting the info. I love the names Cliff used for his rods.

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Meet the Constables

Post by tedgolden »

pmag
Master Guide

Meet the Constables

Post by pmag »

I took my new Dual brook trout fishing this morning and it proved to be the rod I hoped it would be. Acurate, gentle yet powerful. A friend who was fishing his 4 wt. Winston graphite tried the rod and said he would never buy a bamboo, now stated, "Ah, I now understand" after he tried the Constable. Our trip was cut short be a big rainstorm.

Kluson

Meet the Constables

Post by Kluson »

Hi There I am in the UK actually I live about 4 miles from Wallop Brook and Nether Wallop Mill. I would love to get a Constable Wallop Brook rod, can anyone let me know where I might be able to find one in the UK
 Many thanks

Ken M 44
Administrator

Meet the Constables

Post by Ken M 44 »

Hi There I am in the UK actually I live about 4 miles from Wallop Brook
and Nether Wallop Mill. I would love to get a Constable Wallop Brook
rod, can anyone let me know where I might be able to find one in the UK
Two (or maybe three) were sold at Mullock's auction a couple of weeks ago for GBP150 each (hammer price) so I would check the traders in s/h or vintage rods, I would also keep a close eye on ebay.

Kluson

Meet the Constables

Post by Kluson »

Many thanks Ken

joels62@twc.com

Re: Meet the Constables

Post by joels62@twc.com »

I own a Constable 7'6" 5 wt that I bought from the owner of AM back in the 1970's. It is the 'Sample' that he got from Constable before he started carrying the rods. It had Red wraps, marked 7 1/2 only in very fine script near the keeper ring. The reel seat is black? with nice silver rings. He told me had hung on to it too long, and since I was a regular, he would sell it to me 'cheap'. Only one tip, I have used it sparingly but love the action now better than back then. Not looking to sell, but just wanted to share that I loved that store back in the late 70's, & 80'. Cheers!

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Welcome to the forum! I don’t know Constable rods but it’s always nice to see someone new on here with a love for classic rods!

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I am guessing many saw the Dual on the auction site the past couple of days. So cool. I almost pulled the trigger to add it to my Wallop Brook 6’9” 4 wt and 7’6” 5 wt - having some recent interest in going short for small overgrown brooks - but resisted long enough for someone to remove the temptation (thank you.) I am hoping the Dual buyer was someone here!

oldphart
Sport

Post by oldphart »

I have a ' brokenstraw ' bought from AM in the early '70s.
Seems to me I mic'ed the rod for someone on the list.
I'll post some photos in the next few days and have to check
my old posts to see which thread it was in.

Hank

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Glad for the information in this bumped thread. Over a year ago, while learning about parabolic rods, I found an excellent (condition and price) Constable "R.H. Woods Classic": 6'9" 2/2 4wt with staggered ferrules, a bamboo ferrule plug, and green wraps with full intermediates. It's a sweet-casting small-to-medium stream rod, but easily throws more line than you'd ever need for fishing.

I'd post pictures, but it's at the cabin, and I won't be there until late June.

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

The 6' 9'' 4-weight is superb.
I have two, plus the 7' 6'' and 8' 2'' wallop brook models (good, but not as great).

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I’m surprised no builders offer their own versions of these quirky staggered ferrule but beloved rods. . . . (pregnant pause) . . . . or do they?

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

5'9" "The Connaght". Throws a 4wt crisply.
2pc with the little alu/cork acorn ferrule plug.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

I have several Constables, including a 9 foot 2/1 "C.C. Lightweight." Now I see on the ___ auction site an 8 foot C.C. Lightweight, 2/1. Does anyone know anything about this 8 foot rod, which I do not recall from any listing of Constable rods?
Thank you,
--Lindsay

flamjamming
Sport

Post by flamjamming »

I have two original Constables, a 6'9" 2/2 RH Wood, a single tip Dart, and a rod built on an original Dart butt section but with a new tip someone built on a taper they came up with themselves. All of them are great fishing rods. I think they are better fishing rods than lawn casting rods, especially the Wood and the original Dart. The original Dart is a great roll casting rod. Both 5'9" rods are the only sub 6' rods I have ever cast that I have ever liked (and I love them both). The one with the non-original tip is a crisper dry fly tip. Building one with both tips would give a person a wet and a dry tip. The RH Wood I purchased with two original tips from Rick's Rods, but one is 2-3" shorter than the other. At first I thought the shorter tip was broken but if you compare the tips they are different tapers and with different guide spacing. Both have full intermediate wraps, and came in the original two tip bag, so not sure if someone ordered a replacement tip and got something completely different or what.

Mark Dankel
Sport

Post by Mark Dankel »

Well for those interested, a Constable Dart from an estate sale went for $405 yesterday (6/7/20) on the 'bay.
Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible. - Miguel de Unamuno 1905

boobuddy

Post by boobuddy »

I have 3 Constables. One is a RH Woods classic 6'9" 2/2 which was the personal rod of Dave Weisenberger, owner of Anglers Mail. I believe Dave selected this one as his own after going thru several he had to pick from. I like this rod better than my 7'0" T&T Classic. His widow sold it to me after he passed for $150. I got to know Dave quite well a few years before he died and we belonged to the same trout club. I have a 8'0" Empress a one tip rod that probably had another tip at one time since the bag is for a two tip rod. It originally could be purchased with one or two tips. Also a 5'9" Dart. I find it interesting that the original post listed this as a 3/4 weight, since mine is a 5 weight. Dave verified that this rod was indeed intended for a 5 wt. Akron, OH rodmaker Kiri,(Takatoshi Kumakiri), made a few reproduction of the Dart. of which, a friend of mine has one. These are all great blue collar rods. I am looking to find a RH Woods Dual if anyone is looking to sell one. Or a Brokenstraw which is impossible to find. Thanks.

Tom McCoy
Sport

Post by Tom McCoy »

Been watching this thread for a while and figured I might throw my $0.02 in. I'm a total newbie to cane and on a whim purchased a Wallop Brook 7'6" 2/2 a couple of years ago. My first cane rod...and one I knew nothing about. It simply looked like a reasonable quality build, and I could afford it. I struggled a little with casting the parabolic action consistently and only fished it occasionally. Tried several 4, 5 and 6wt lines, nothing clicked. In fact, I almost sold it a couple of months ago. That is until, while out on the river testing some 16' spey rods, I brought it along to play with between changing big rods. On a whim I strung a Barrio SmallStream 5wt on it and the little rod suddenly turned into a laser pointer. 10' of line out the, bam, point and shoot. The full 24' head and a little running line out of the tip, same thing. I couldn't miss. Between 15' and 50' it suddenly became elementally simple to cast bullet shaped loops at tiny targets. Sub MOA you might say. Needles to say I'm keeping the little guy and putting it in the front line of the rotation. Will be keeping an eye out for other members of the family. (Would really like to try an Empress) The moral of this story; the 7'6" Wallop Brook is a REALLY good rod, and, line taper can make all the difference.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”