Pezon et Michel rods: mystery models? let us know about yours.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Big Sky Dave
Guide

Re: Pezon et Michel rods: mystery models? let us know about

Post by Big Sky Dave »

Ok, here's a bit of a mystery. I have a Sharpes (Farlow) 8' 5" Fario Club. It's an impregnated rod. Both Sharpes and Pezon impregnated rods. From the name it would appear to be the Pezon taper. I'm guessing Sharpes finished out the rod. But who built the blank?

There are various old rumours floating about that these rods and the later Sharpes 8' 3" and 8' 8" versions were Pezon blanks built in France and finished by Sharpes to dodge customs.

At our first Bozeman Bamboo Bash Greg and I did a side by side taste test of his Pezon PPP and my Sharpes Fario. But it turned out his was actually an 8' 3" (Super Parabolic ??). It wasn't exactly apples to apples. Did learn I liked a Wulff TT 6 best of a number of lines tried on my rod.

I agree with Greg and Mark's comments on the rod. Nice soft hackle rod on the Yellowstone. Seems to handle the savage strikes on light tippets well.

Doublehauler
Master Guide

Post by Doublehauler »

Don't have a P & M in my small collection, but remember looking at a number of them when I would visit Norm Thompson's in Portland around 1977-78 . My memory ain't what it used to be, but I do remember there also were a number of rods by P & M in that display that were made up of a bamboo butt section and either a fiberglass tip section or maybe at that time, one of the early graphite tips. Having inherited several bamboo rods from an uncle, among them a Granger Special, I was just starting to get Up a real interest in bamboo.

So, I have set aside a tip section from a graphite rod whose butt section I had
managed to destroy, and a bamboo butt from the pile of parts in my boneyard. I found a ferrule that fits OK, so I will have this contraption ready to try out come opening of trout season.

Anybody have any experience with such a rig?

paul1963
Guide

Post by paul1963 »

I've got an 8 1/2' 2/1 pizon Et Michel fly that's all it says on the blank is that. It has green heavy threads for wrappings on guides and the winding check is green plastic
It seems like a 6 wt and is in very good condition
Anyone have any info for me?

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

There was a Pezon et Michel model called just that--the Fly.
--Lindsay

Rons Rods
Sport

Post by Rons Rods »

I have a 7'9" Variopower with a fiberglass butt and bamboo tip. Very unique enjoyable to cast.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Cool acquisition Ron!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”