Pezon et Michel rods: mystery models? let us know about yours.

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

As a lover of parabolic rods I admire the Pezons. Naturally I had a few myself and have always been intrigued by the many different models they built. Thanks to Ken we have a very long list of  models published here.
Most of the ones we see for sale are the PPP-models (Fario Club probably the best known), a few Midge-models here and there, a few "Hans"-rods.
But what about all the other models on that list?
They are somewhat of a mystery as they never seem to turn up anywhere especially the 4 or 5-weights.

Do they exist? Are there any Pezon collectors out there?

So my question is: what kind of Pezon et Michel have you ever seen, owned or fished? Do you currently own one?
Let us know more about what you have seen please.

Thank you

Marcus

PS: I have owned several Fario Clubs, a Sawyer Stillwater 9,5ft (horrible, even though I like long bamboo rods...), a Skish (very nice), a few Midges, a Parabolic Normale and have seen the Colorado 7ft2'" #5 I think it was.
Last edited by maruoff on 01/04/11 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

I have seen  four bretonvilleur rods. These were all new and were being sold by a dealer in the mid eighties at whatt at the time I thought was a ridiculous sum of some £800 (UK sterling )each.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Not sure how rare this one is, but here are some pics and specs if its helpful, label is white paper on a champion tube and reads as follows:

PEZON & MICHEL
Established 1860 Aboise - France
Rod Type: Small Stream Trout
Name and Length: CS261-S Featherlight 6 ft 6 in
Serial No. (none, none on rod either)
Action: Fast for Precision Casting
Line Weight: AFTM #5 (HDH)

The owner's name and address (Fifth Avenue, NY, NY!!!) are also printed on the label. The rod, bag, and tube are Excellent++++ are available for anyone who might be interested, Todd

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

I have had a few, the PPP ones are the stand out rods, most of the others I have found to be less than stimulating.
A Colorado (Pate): 7'7 - 2x2 - 5/6 wt - a wonderful rod, sold it as it was a single tip rod (and regret it because I have not found a 2 tip at the right money since).

previously owned / cast / handled / looked at a few others ;
Bretonvillier (Dubos): 7'6 - 2x2 - 5 wt

Fario-Club (Ritz): 8'5 - 2x2 - 6 wt

Longcast (Batault): 8'7 - 2x2 - 6/7 wt

Master (Lambiotte): 8'3 - 2x2 - 5/6 wt

Speedcast II (Riccardi): 7'11-1/2 - 2x2 - 5 wt

Poulletier (Sawada): 7'1 - 2x2 - 4/5 wt

Powerplus (Creusevaut): 8'3 - 2x2 - 6 wt

but only own one at the present -
Royale: 8'8 - 2x1 - 7 wt
which I rarely use because of the line wt and because I have quite a few 8'6" or 9' rods that I prefer.

pmag
Master Guide

Post by pmag »

I had a 7' 2" made exclusively for Norm Thompson, a single tipper. I currently have a 6 & a half footer labled "Exclusively for Abercrombie and Fitch, Fast Action" and a 7'2" Normale that is unusual only that it was owned by Sid Eliason and one of the two tips was made by Winston

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gmflyfish »

Love them or hate them - there is very little in between on Pezon and Michel rods.

I have a few and love all of them for their casting abilities
PPP 6'6" - now owned by someone else - great small stream rod
PPP 8'6" 5-6 Great western rod and comes into its own in the wind and larger western rivers
7'2" Norm Thompson special - this one is not staggered and cast just as well as the previous rods
Also in my quiver is a Constable Wallop Brook staggered ferrule 7'6" 4-5 wt.  - It is one powerful rod and cast much like a Pezon.

IMHO

Gregg

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

I've got a Fario Club -- one of the first bamboo rods I ever owned.  It almost turned me off bamboo, but now some 35+ years later, I've gotten used to its nuances and truly enjoy fishing the rod.  I like mine with a DT5 most of the time, but occasionally I'll put a DT6 on it.
Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

peacefisher
Master Guide

Post by peacefisher »

hopkintoncane wrote:Not sure how rare this one is, but here are some pics and specs if its helpful, label is white paper on a champion tube and reads as follows:

PEZON & MICHEL
Established 1860 Aboise - France
Rod Type: Small Stream Trout
Name and Length: CS261-S Featherlight 6 ft 6 in
Serial No. (none, none on rod either)
Action: Fast for Precision Casting
Line Weight: AFTM #5 (HDH)

The owner's name and address (Fifth Avenue, NY, NY!!!) are also printed on the label. The rod, bag, and tube are Excellent++++ are available for anyone who might be interested, Todd

About 15 years ago I bought a P&M 6' Midget from a local guy with this exact label on the tube. The seller told me he and a group of fisherman from the NY/NJ area put a group order in for many rods and when they arrived they did so only clad in sacks, no tubes. The seller said they added tubes to the rods and printed up and affixed labels also.

nygaardsvold
Sport

Post by nygaardsvold »

For the time being I have three P&M rods:

7'9" Parabolic Royale  (2/1)
8'3" Powerplus (Creusevaut) (2/1)

The third rod is at least a mystery rod to me.  Written on the shaft is;  7175-ARMSBY-BRISTOL on three flats.  On the end cap:  Pezon&Michel-Paris-Amboise.
And on the opposite side of the stripper the initials JB.
The rod has intermediate wrappings and has a rather powerful and stiff action. I bought it from JM Graham some 20 years ago.
It is 8'0" and has one tip.

I regret selling the Sawyer Nymph (8'10") I had a long time ago.  (From Dermot Wilson in the 1970's)

Johan

ubbi
Master Guide

Post by ubbi »

My first bamboo rod was a Pezon, it was 31 years ago and i was 16 years old . The rod was a Speciale competition 8' for # 6 , i still fish with that rod .. i have also a Speciale Parabolic Normale 7' for # 5, a Supreme Competition 8' for #6 a very pleasant rod and one of my preferite ( not only because was my dad rod ) , a Supreme Competition 8 1\2" for # 6/7 , A Parabolic Ritz 8'2" for # 5 , a Royal 7'4" for #4 with a more progressive awesome casting action which i reccomend , for me one of the best casting tool from Pezon et Michel in that length.

Dewardian
Guide

Post by Dewardian »

I have a Farlows/P-M 8' #4. Slow action, wet fly's and nymphs are its strengths.
I have a couple of P-M inspired casting sticks. 7'2" #5 and a 7'4" #6. These rods can cast big flies a long way...........Gifts that keeps on giving....... without medication being involved. 

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Label on tube
PEZON & MICHEL
Amboise - France
Rod Type: Light Trout - small streams
Name and Length: A - 260 MIDGET 6'
Serial No.: Written on rod sections 96
Weight Oz: 2. 3/32
Action: Super-Parabolic PPP
Owners Name: None written 
Line Weight: AFTM - #3 & #4, written in after the #4, +5
Rod is new, never fished. 2 piece, 2 tips  

Richard
Flyrodman

findwolfhard
Guide

Post by findwolfhard »

Hello!
I had a Master Type Lambiotte.
Was very glad when I had sold it. It went back to France.
Best regards Wolfhard

JB

Post by JB »

I have a Pezon y Michel "Parabolic Speciale Normale" s/n 7221836 bought by my stepfather in 1976.  I inherited it when my mother passed away and use it occasionally for trout (including the mighty San Juan rainbows).  I have straightened the sections (fear not), restored the grip, and polished the rod: it looks brand new!  As far as the Parabolic (or any action) goes, each rod I own is different; I adjust my casting to what the rod "tells" me and enjoy them all.

babyface441

Post by babyface441 »

Hey, Flyrodman, since you already own one that is unfished , as well, have you ever fished someone else's to be able to give a review of the rod's strengths and weaknesses? I'm looking at buying one from England, but with the postage and customs duty it may end up too expensive. If you were willing to sell your unfished midget what would you want for it? Thanks for your response, Richard.

Babyface441

wombinolatino

Post by wombinolatino »

Can someone help .. i have a Pezon Michel which says on the base of the rod shaft Ritz Master then the super parabolic logo not the words superparabolic

then it says Traun Type Hans Made in France ... hans was not this size as i have one and the rod is completely different

Round the top of the butt says pezon Michel and has the number 19 which matches the number of the one tip

It also says 7.4 but the rod ids 6'6 and has not been shortened has the parabolic shortness of the 2 sections is correct with the plug in place

the tie are brown /black not normal pezon colors A lovelly rod works a dream

can you assist

1 why not labelled as my other superparabolic rods are

why the different mismatces

cheers

dave

Paddy Sutton

Post by Paddy Sutton »

Hi.
I just picked up a Parabolic Supreme Normale 8'6 5/6 second hand for not much money. I've fancied a go with a bamboo rod for a while and it came my way.
However, I know very little about bamboo parabolic rods.
Can I fish a wf line on it or would a dt work better?
I tried casting in the garden and it feels like it needs quite a heave! Anyway the results were not very pretty!
Any advice on lines and how to cast with it?
Thanks. Paddy

Dinkeyliz2

Post by Dinkeyliz2 »

Hello All,
 When i was a 10 year old my father took my brother and i Trout fishing  near Rosco N.Y.  it was April 1st 1970 I remember it as the day i found by a bend in the stream a Bamboo Flyrod.  Just sittin there. I remember walking up and down the stream with the hole in my hip boot ,an 80 lb. kid with a 50 lb. freezing leg.
 Anyhow,I tried to find the poor guy who left it behind. But.....  well what i have had all these years is a Pezon et Mitchell made exclusively for Abercrombie and Fitch. 7' fast Action in the original grenn PVC tube and canvas sleeve. This rod has seen the light of day perhaps 3 maybe 4 times since i became the keeper of it. Now at 51 and living in Brooklyn N.Y. i realize that i'm never going to get any use of it. Caught a 41 inch StripeBass under the Verizano Bridge a few years back Just so you all know i'm not a Ballet Dancer or sumthin. Anyhow, i'm wasteing it here. And it's such a pretty and almost perfect looking thing that i'm ready to let it go to someone who will take care of it and enjoy it. if anyone is interested. please let me know Mike   mchboggio@aol.com  Thanks 

janeian

Post by janeian »

Hello. I came across this site quite by accident in researching my Pezon et Michel fly rod. It is an 8 ft. "Grima Competition" serial #13124950 which I bought at an auction approximately 25 years ago. It had no rod bag or tube when I bought it. The varnish is somewhat alligatored in spots and the tip has a very slight right hand set which in my experience can be rectified. The guides and wrappings are excellent as are the ferrules. The reelseat and ring are somewhat discoloured but the cork is excellent. I would like to sell it but have no idea of it's value or where to try selling it. Any information you could provide would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. Sincerely, Ian Bernard      janeian@bell.net

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

Pezon et Michel, Super Parabolic PPP series, 'Super Marvel', Type Hans G, 7'3" 2/2 #5wt.

very nice, short rod. Good parabolic action, as one would expect.

I use it on small, swift free-stone streams, mostly.

Not a "mystery model", though.

These seem to be a bit more common than the ones you are seeking information on.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”