Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by samsonboi »

That’s not a fly rod, nor is it bamboo. You may want to try in the spinning/casting section of Fiberglass Flyrodders.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've been collecting and fishing Bill Edwards' famous Quadrate rods for over 20 years. But every once in awhile, I am surprised by a rod I didn't know about. Recently such was the case with a very nice 7 1/2 ft., 2/2, Special. It's an all-original rod but unlike most Quadrates, it's not numbered for a particular rod series.

That said, it is in all respects cosmetically identical to a #36 9 ft., 3/2, example I've had for many years. Both are wrapped in deep red silk with bright, squared ferrules and a d/l slide band reel seat over a cork filler. The labeled tubes are from Peerless.

This 7 1/2 ft. trout rod casts a DT-5-F Sylk line wonderfully and is a great addition to my Quadrate collection.

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 10/30/20 19:25, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

That's a honey of a rod, Scott, with my favorite Edwards quad reel seat to boot.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Agreed that the Edwards quads are in a category of sweetness of their own...except for those plastic reel seats that look like the plunger on an old cigarette vending machine. What the Hell was he thinking? ::)

BearBio
Sport

Post by BearBio »

During lock-up and being HIGH risk, I have re-started my grass collection.

Since January, I have added 4 Phillipson's (Premium Dry Fly Special, Pacemaker a Power Pakt, and a Peerless [Oops, I don't know about that-my wife has it hidden!], an Orvis Battenkill, Granger Favorite, Granger Victory, W & M Granger Special, and a Pennington "Black Hills Trout".

These join a Lynn & Coulson, Abbey & Imbrey, & a Headwaters.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Beauty of a rod. Congrats on the nice pick up.
Flyman615 wrote:
10/30/20 17:47

Scott Z.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, guys!

It sure is fun to find and fish bamboo rods like this one.
IMHO, it never gets old!!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

Just added the third Robert Lancaster rod I have been seeking to fill the last slot on the "Small Stream Trio" of his Falling Springs (PHY Individualist based), Savage River (PHY Driggs) and, to finish the trio, my new Baetis (PHY Midge). I like these short rods for small streams and wanted to add the elusive Baetis to the group with the ventilated, full wells grip. Two (Savage River and Baetis) have the thumbprint cutout. The Baetis has 1/6" "ventilations" which seem unusual in RWL builds but I like them on this grip. I noticed this one has, in addition to Bob's trademark cut rubber tubes for getting stuck ferrules apart, a square piece of clear to white wax. For the ferrules? I thought touching them with anything was pretty much taboo and likely to lead to problems, not save them, but RWL included it so I'll investigate. Tight lines all.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

NedZeppelin wrote:
11/08/20 15:42
Just added the third Robert Lancaster rod I have been seeking to fill the last slot on the "Small Stream Trio" of his Falling Springs (PHY Individualist based), Savage River (PHY Driggs) and, to finish the trio, my new Baetis (PHY Midge). I like these short rods for small streams and wanted to add the elusive Baetis to the group with the ventilated, full wells grip. Two (Savage River and Baetis) have the thumbprint cutout. The Baetis has 1/6" "ventilations" which seem unusual in RWL builds but I like them on this grip. I noticed this one has, in addition to Bob's trademark cut rubber tubes for getting stuck ferrules apart, a square piece of clear to white wax. For the ferrules? I thought touching them with anything was pretty much taboo and likely to lead to problems, not save them, but RWL included it so I'll investigate. Tight lines all.

Beautiful stable of Bob's rods.

Moramarc

Post by Moramarc »

I have Phillipson Paragon 8 1/2 5 HDH in excellent condition with bag and tube & extra tip
Need to find it a good home Just sitting in attic
$300

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Purchased my first Japanese bamboo rod a 7'8 3/2 4wt. Main River couple months back a Kagerow(mayfly) made by Master Ishida Hideto. It has the time consuming Urushi finish with a bamboo reel seat, The rod has a sweet med-fast action which fits my casting stroke. I read 50 or more posts about Kagerow rods being outstanding for beautiful finish and casting. They were right on.
Dennis

Click to enlarge

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Congrats Dennis, Kagerow rods really do represent perfection of craftsmanship. They are absolutely exquisite and as you said, the tapers are as equally sophisticated as the finishes. Enjoy this new addition, I hope it becomes a favorite!

Btw, his stacked bamboo seats are probably the most beautiful seats I have ever come across.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks Adrien for the nice comments.
Dennis

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Beautiful rod. I'm sure it will cast and fish extremely well.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice rod Dennis. I remember this model from topics long ago

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Excellent! Great addition to you collection Dennis. Great looking rod. If we ever have another conclave. :) I'd look forward to casting it sometime.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks guys for the nice compliments.
Mark I'll bring it with me to the next conclave either in Island Park or Bozeman.
Dennis
Last edited by firehole on 12/03/20 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Looks great Dennis, hope you get years of satisfaction out of it (the grip is very reminiscent of the grips used on the current Scott SC models).

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I'm guilty of "pandemic purchases," I feel, two in one week, but I've been looking for both of these rods for a long time. First is a Jenkins GA-80 3/2 (unusual 3 piece), barely used, and only the second 3 piece he made. The other is a Leonard Duracane #755 brown wrap, 2/2 5 weight, again barely used. These purchases should keep the beast at bay for a while at least.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I was lucky to find a Goodwin Granger Special 8040 that had been restored by Mike Sinclair. She's a beauty.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”