Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Matt2007
Sport

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by Matt2007 »

Hi Ric,

It’s an 8 footer.

Regards,

Matt

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

A restored 7.5’ “The Granger Rod”.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Another really nice one, Vaughan.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Vaughan, very nice! Who did the restoration work? Ric

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Glenn stated to me in a email before I bought this Winston it's a " One of a kind ". The Winston is a mint (Brackett era) 7' 3/2 marked 2/3wt 2 5/8oz. hollow built thru the mid. In all my years of collecting Winston's I've never seen a 2/2 or 3/2 marked 2 or 2/3wt. I once owned a Winston 7' 3/2 3wt. 2 7/8oz. which I regretted selling.
Dennis

Click to enlarge.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Michael Sinclair did restoration.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Vaughan, is the "Granger Rod" a 7630 taper and do you know when it was likely made? Good to see more of Scott's excellent restoration work.

Ron

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Ron,

Rod was restored by Michael Sinclair. Taper is a 7630 with thin 5” long grip. Reel seat is 2nd era reelseat 1923 to 1926 timeframe.

Save

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

I just landed these 2 Unicorns (Jamie's euphemism) both 8' 3/2s for a 5 and both in vg condition and very fishable.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

A Jenkins GA 756, 2/1 of all things, sold to me rumored to be Steve’s personal rod, is winging its way from the ultra frigid Midwest, whenever the USPS starts running again and if the glue holds up from flash freezing. If anyone knows anything about this rod, whether it was a prototype or a one off during the production time of this model, I’d love to know. This one has no number on it, only GA 756.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I pulled the trigger on the AJ Thramer Payne 98 Classic series that was on the classifieds. I have a modest version of the 98 that has possibly the ugliest components ever and some other..... "character" to it that kind of kills me, so I've been meaning to replace it if and when something interesting popped up. I had a rod built by AJ that blew me away but I sold it because it wasn't going to be used, so this rod also gets me another example of his work, which I can't wait to examine. I'm not great at assembling rods, so it's always amazing to get my hands on something this nice.

Funny Cimarron mentioned the weather and shipping rods. Upon agreeing to the rod the first thing I said was to wait for the temps to regulate before shipping. Not sure if that would potentially hurt the rod or not, but the seller agreed. Won't use the rod until summer anyhow.

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

I am in my winter buying mode. I have been thinking of small stream rods although I usually fish a moderate sized river. I bought 2 rods that I had never handled based on reading past comments on this site. All of the rods in my rack had been 7' 9" to 8 1/2' so this my first venture into shorter rods.

My first buy is South Bend 290. The 290 is a stronger rod than than I had guessed. Nice dry fly action. There will be no problem throwing a #8 Rat Faced McDougal. The 290 is a surprisingly nice blue collar rod.

My second new rod is a Wright & Mcgill Victory 7030. While it is rod that has had some use, I am pleased with its condition. It has a very nice action. I can tell it will be a great small stream rod. I now have 3 Granger rods thanks to the company supporters on this site.

I would post pictures but lack the knowledge for doing it on this site.

Ironsightimages

Post by Ironsightimages »

Got an email the other day that Chuck Neuner is finishing up my first custom rod, a 6'3" 3/2 4wt. Should be delivered just in time for the season opening in April. Looking forward to fishing it and I'll share some photos of it here.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

paxlev wrote:I just landed these 2 Unicorns (Jamie's euphemism) both 8' 3/2s for a 5 and both in vg condition and very fishable.

Just amazing to have found such rare 2nd Era Gillums in 3/2 format Ric! Nicest script I have seen too that a Friend agrees is in Pink’s true hand! You could almost sense Eustis’s spidery script in the one at the back when Pinky’s hands were steadier. Do post more pictures plus if possible PM me the serial numbers as I am trying to compile more information about such elusive wands. Congrats again, Happy Lunar New Year of the pig and may you hook a hog with those beauties! :D

Cheers
Arthur

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Arthur, thanks for the nice comments about my new Gillums. I am working to get some better pics but that is taking my learning the nuances of my new Sony A600 camera including the use of the self focusing format etc... The Gillum that is closer in the pics was owned by Dr. Jerry Stein for 20 or so years. He tells me it was owned, prior to his acquisition, by Gary Howells. Dr. Stein reports that they both felt it the best Gillum they had ever touched. And, Dr. Stein likened its feel to that of a mid engine Ferrari he once owned. I guess I get the analogy ... given my driver ... I am thinking that this is a first "period" Gillum, but maybe second. Very even flaming. The rod in the back ground is a beautifully flamed Gillum with Super Z ferrules. It bears serial number 517 on the butt, mid and tip sections. This rod was owned by a Colorado bamboo rod owner for 20 plus years as well, and he sold it because of his age ... Somewhat the same story for Dr. Stein selling the first Gillum. The Colorado owner supposedly purchased the rod in his mid 60s ... So, our paths are similar in that I acquired it in my mid 60s (I am 64). I just hope I can own and enjoy both of these rods as long as their prior owners did. And, I promise pics later this year with atleast one of the rods and a lot of cutties! Ric

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Last month I was able to fish my new Joe Bradley Para 14 7'9" 6wt on the South Fork of the Yuba River here in California. Prior to having Joe build me this new rod he and I were casting rods on his lawn in Idaho and as always Joe had some bamboo rods in his garage stash that I'd never cast before. He had an older copy of my new rod and after casting it for a few minutes I was "hooked" into having him make me one of my own.
The new rod is a cannon and cast's so smooth. It worked great on the Yuba on a windy afternoon. The rod has plenty of back bone, I picked up a nice 16" rainbow and it handled the fish easily. You can definitely feel the power difference between it and his Para 14 7'9" 5wt., which is an excellent rod also.
Great rod build from Joe as always. He'll be at the Pleasanton Fly Show at the end of February if you want to cast his rods.
Best wishes, Ken

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Congrats on your fine rod Ken and Many Thanks Ric for providing those important details of the Gillums. Interesting that Dr. Stein’s rod didn’t have a serial number. I’ll look forward to those cuttie pics! Enjoy.

Cheers
Arthur

Ixoye

Post by Ixoye »

I did just purchase a David Klausmeyer "The Premium" 6'6'' 3/2 #3, the rod is in pristine condition, i'm very happy now..

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

A member of our board assisted acquiring these two two Hidy rods. (8 1/2' 3pc., 7' 9" 2/2)

Jim

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Very nice rods Jim.
Dennis

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”