Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by crowebeetle »

what was the rationale for the independent handle? I assume that because it was a "special" that it was a custom-made rod. A pack rod?

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Is this beauty an elusive Leonard Allagash?
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

crowebeetle wrote:what was the rationale for the independent handle? I assume that because it was a "special" that it was a custom-made rod. A pack rod?
It's definitely a custom rod. I can only assume the independent handle was to make the rod more packable. The tube is only about an inch longer than the 3/2 6 footer.
DireWolf53 wrote:Is this beauty an elusive Leonard Allagash?
I don't think so. I can't recall the format of the Allagash but it wasn't a five footer IIRC.
Here's the 6 foot 3/2 "Model 46". I'm sure this was a custom rod as well, it was not cataloged at the time it was made. You can see it predates the 5 footer by a few years.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Nice rods, everybody.
solo8232000, I like that rod. Good luck to your Tigers.

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Thank you, Teter..I cast the rod with Cortland Sylk DT6 and DT5. The rod loved the DT 6 even in the wind..I also used a Cortland 444 DT5 which cast better the the Sylk DT5 but still not as well as the DT6. Goiong to try some WF5 and see if the rod handles that line better..The rod has a nice slow feel to it and really laid the foal flies I was cast softly..Going to Arkansas next week to fish the Lil Mo at Murfreesboro. Plan on taking several SB 359s, this 357 and a 323 to compare rods as I plan to start winnowing down my stash of rods...Time to start passing on some of the rods I have which are not seeing much fishing time...

Ironsightimages

Post by Ironsightimages »

Ironsightimages wrote:Got an email the other day that Chuck Neuner is finishing up my first custom rod, a 6'3" 3/2 4wt. Should be delivered just in time for the season opening in April. Looking forward to fishing it and I'll share some photos of it here.
Well, the rod is completed. Rather than mail it Chuck offered to deliver it in person. We've set a date to meet and fish the Carmans River on Long Island. I'm pretty excited to spend the day fishing this new rod with the maker. He said he'll also provide some flies he ties for this river.

The Carmans has been on my to visit list so this is is going to be a pretty special day.

jayres

Post by jayres »

I got two new (to me) rods. First, a 9-5, two-piece Hardy Palakona "Featherweight Perfection" made in 1950. I cast nicely with a 5 weight Triangle Taper. The other is a two-piece Hardy greenheart rod from 1934 which also seems happy with the 4-weight line.
I've never fished greenheart before. It seems heavier than bamboo but not too much heavier, and it casts beautifully.
I pretty much only fish for trout in California, Oregon and Montana and the look and feeling of these rods with Dingley and Uniqua reels on a mountain stream is exactly why I love fly fishing so much.
Anybody have any advice or thoughts about greenheart?
Jim

just_jon
Guide

Post by just_jon »

I just returned home with an unfished Dreamcatcher Trico Mite (6’3” 2/1 for 4 wt). I cast this model at Wyatt’s home in August 2012. Having just handed over $1650 for my Cumberland Queen a few minutes earlier, I decided to wait. Unfortunately for all of us, he closed shop before I was able to order one.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

What unique and super little rods.
Congrats, Paul (Short Tip) on the pair!!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Short Tip wrote:
Neat rod. Amazing how some things find their way to us. I say a reel years ago that I always kicked myself for passing up, then out of the blue 10 years later there it was for sale. Needless to say it came home with me.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Jim, pictures of the rod?

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Just received a 1989 vintage Winston 8' 2/2, 3 3/4 oz, 5 wt rod.

"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Two new old rods just in from Don Schroeder who did a masterful job restoring these rods to like new condition. The one is an Edwards De Luxe 3/2 8'6" rod that has a wonderful dry fly action and weighs in at 4.5 ounces. The second is a Winchester Wand that was purchased in pieces. It's a neat little 7' 2/2 4 weight rod that weighs 2.9 ounces. The first pictures are the Edwards De Luxe prior to the work done by Don. I am so very happy with the work on both rods. Both will get a chance this season to get fished, and will be stunning to see on a river as the sunlight highlights the gold and purple silks and the beautiful cane. Ric

Last edited by paxlev on 04/25/19 13:49, edited 3 times in total.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Paxlev,
Gorgeous. Thanks for showing it to us.

Peales
Master Guide

Post by Peales »

Those Edwards rods are really sweet. I've heard that the seven footers are great fishing rods!

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Guys, thanks for the nice compliments. I think both rods will be excellent fishing rods. The Edwards is pretty fast for its era of rods, and a little lighter in comparison to the other 8'6" 3/2 Edwards i own. The Wand, for its length, has some mass and feels very nice in hand. I need to take it out on the lawn today and pay with it and see. I bet it casts as nicely as my Payne 98 or a few other short 7' 4 wts i own including a Dickerson clone from Daryl Whitehead. It could become a favorite of those of my rods that actually get to find time on the water ... Cheers, Ric

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

At the 2019 Bamboo Bash in Townsend a friend gifted me a SB359 8 1/2' bamboo rod in need of some tlc. I sent the rod to my friend Ed, rod builder extraordinaire and asked him if he could come out of retirement for one more rod. When he got the rod he felt compelled to work his magic. I just got the rod back as an 8' 6wt/5wt and am so happy he got off the couch and worked his magic..For the purists I recommend you go no further..but just know an old rod has been resurrected and will see many good days on the water!!!

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Heddon #17 Black Beauty...Midsection is down about 2" but the rod still casts great. had to clean up the varnish using Michael Sinclair's technique..

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

Heddon #14 Thorobred 7 1/2' Featherweight..original

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Mike Clark of Southcreek just called to say my rod is up next after three years of waiting and several years before that of indecision. My poor heart is going pitter pat and I feel like a teenager going on an important date. Missed my big birthday by a month, but I’ll still count it as just reward. I realized when he called that I was still slightly ambivalent between the “ruby” taper and the Best-Gierach taper, so I’m getting in the car to drive a thousand miles round trip to Lyons CO this weekend to cast them both and decide. This is three times what I’ve ever spent on a bamboo rod, so I better get it right. I swear this is the last rod I’ll buy. Except I’m still looking for a great 6 weight.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”