Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Shrimpman wrote:
03/23/21 19:09
That's a nice Battenkill and a new one to me. Is it basically the three-piece equivalent of the 4 3/8 oz 2/2?
I believe so. There was quite a bit of back and forth banter on this rod/taper in Flyman615's scarce Orvis thread. I had two at the same time in the past, sold both and now I am whole again :-)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I know guys who fish bamboo in the East and Midwest who only fish graphite rods out West. Your rod, I would guess, would be the the rod to take to the Rockies.

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Orvis Special, 7 1/2' 3/2 5 wt

Last edited by Mister Bill on 03/29/21 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That's a very nice looking rod!
What makes it a 'Special' rather than a Battenkill?

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

It is a 3/2, and I think it was said that it was a low cost model made with unused spare parts or not cosmetically excellent for the Battenkill.

It casts and catches fish just like a Battenkill and is easier to transport.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Well it's back to its glory and ready to be fished!

Sessions

Post by Sessions »

New rod for me, 1st bamboo just wish I could get more info on it.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

The covid year gave me a good chance to work on my budding bamboo rod collection. And the gods were smiling down on me... 2019 found me saving pennies and purchasing my first "made by a well-known guy" bamboo rod; a 7.5' 4wt rod by Bob Maulucci. It is a flamed quad with a slow, bend-to-the-cork wet fly action built with beautiful, blued components; a visually lovely rod. The soft, shock-absorber action appealed to my lob nymphs first fishing style and the unique quad look intrigued me. The ultra-slow casting action took some getting used to, but the rod performed just as I hoped. I had my first really nice bamboo rod. And a nymphing rod to boot! I began to look further into this quad-rod thing. The claims of better tracking and power sounded nice, but I found myself chuckling at Carlton and Zeitak prices. However, Bill Edwards quads looked to be at the far end of my retired working stiff's hobby budget. Perhaps a beat-up one? I started hunting as covid hit. Living alone and stranded, I had plenty of time to research the market. I hit upon an auction offering an Edwards #42, a 7.5' 5wt with no tube, but no flaws. Marshaling my resources (read as, selling some stuff on eBay), I attended my first online auction, bidding up to the last penny I could afford... and won! OMG! I now had a pair of quads and I loved them both! Thinking mission accomplished, I continued to troll the market because... well, I found it fun! ....And there it was, an Edwards #50; a ready-to-fish, 8' 6wt in a beat-up leather tube with an asking price of, "call this guy NOW"! Just like that, I had another Edwards quad! I now had quads in 4, 5, and 6wt. Feeling smug and thinking, "you're kidding", I discovered the non-quad, yet still an Edwards, LL Bean, "Double L" 6/7wt, sitting in the corner of an obscure New Jersey antique/junk store. $30 dollars later, I had added to my bamboo cache. Next week, I will be picking up another quad, a 7', 5/6wt fiberglass rod (drop the mic). Now, if I can only find a quad 3wt, hmmm...

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I recently won this Heddon #115 Premier, 8’ 1 1/2 ferrule on eBay. It’s in fantastic condition. These trout-weight Heddons are fine fishing rods. I plan to take it out tomorrow in Southeast Minnesota.

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Moved ... not sure how to delete a post?
Last edited by Salar4me on 04/23/21 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

cutthroatseeker

Post by cutthroatseeker »

Arrived about 30min ago. Brand new 8' #6 2/2 parabolic taper from Joe Bradley. Not a "custom," he had exactly the rod I was looking for in stock.

The attention to detail Joe takes in his rod-building is obvious. I'm no expert so I won't make a fool of myself trying to act like I know what I'm talking about. I used to hang out in Dave LeClair's workshop many years ago (Dave was far too nice of a guy to tell me to take a hike even though I probably deserved it) when I lived in NY and that gives me just enough knowledge about this exacting art to have a proper sense of respect for the time and effort that goes into a beauty like this. The wraps are perfect, as to be expected from someone with Joe's reputation, and I like that he (presumably) used white silk for a fully transparent effect.

Don't have a line or reel yet so I can't comment on how it casts but I have zero worries.

Never having contacted Joe the process was super easy. I had emailed him about lead time on custom orders and he explained his shop is in transit so it would be a long time. He did email a list of rods he had in stock and this one was precisely what I was looking for- a #6 with enough backbone for bigger water on windy days. I'm still in the process of rebuilding my gear after taking about 25years off from fishing for the typical reasons (kids, divorce, no money because of items 1 and 2, etc) but I was always a bamboo fisherman even back then, thanks to hearing about cane rods from reading John Gierach's early books.

Now that I'm in the PNW I'll be taking this rod out to some mountain lakes and streams to finally catch a cutthroat, something I've also been wanting to do since reading those Gierach books.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Cutthroatseeker - welcome back after your hiatus and in quite a nice way with your new Bradley. I also can attest to to his craftsmanship and beautiful rods that are terrific casters. Have a great fishing summer.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Pezon et Michel "Made for Farlow's by Pezon et Michel, Parabolic Spéciale Normale, 8'6", #5" made in 1964.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

blackdog wrote:
04/09/21 15:11
I recently won this Heddon #115 Premier, 8’ 1 1/2 ferrule on eBay. It’s in fantastic condition. These trout-weight Heddons are fine fishing rods. I plan to take it out tomorrow in Southeast Minnesota.

How well do you like the way it casts? That rod you posted photos of hasn’t seen much action in its life judging from the condition of the reel seat.

Me, I love the Heddon 8’ rod with #1 1/2 size ferrule. I have a Premier just like yours. The silks on the Premier really set the rod off.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

NickBurton

Post by NickBurton »

Calum Gladstone 6’6” 3/2 #3
I normally use Hardy Bamboo rods but wanted a small 3 piece.
And this is perfect😊👍

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Saw this rod earlier at Calum’s page. Wonderful with a touch of Moran

NickBurton

Post by NickBurton »

A little beauty and easy to carry to where I’m fishing.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

That Calum rod is gorgeous, congratulations!

I look forward to the action photos.

Kenneth

NickBurton

Post by NickBurton »

Christened the new rod yesterday on the river Hamps in Staffordshire England - a little beauty, just like the rod🎣😊👍

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I recently acquired this excellent Blackburn 7'9" 2/2 4wt. from another Forum member. According to Bill Blackburn this is a newer rod and as we both looked it over it appeared to never have been fished. I'm thrilled with it. A sweet medium dry fly rod and fits right in with my other Blackburns. Looking forward to getting this bugger on the water. :) Enjoy!
Mark

Here it is along side of my other Blackburn rods.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”