Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BillT
Sport

Post by BillT »

I jut picked up 2 FE Thomas rods today. July has been good to me 2 Thomases and a Payne!
Bill

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Post by uniphasian »

Bill:

Christmas in July? Me too.

Just received a Bradford, a Jenkins and a FE Thomas. Not to mention a little 1960 era 6 ft Winston glass rod earlier this month.

Who's going fishing tomorrow?
- Uni

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

I hate you Bill! You're obviously buying beer for EVERYONE at Potter County! If you're nice, you can do it at Deb's. There's a guy there with a shotgun, (got 38th in a group of 42), who says he "misses you." You deserve it Bill....and I'll even hold the payne & the two Thomas for you.

Rolf
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Rolf, buddy, I'm sorry it's hard to feel too sorry for you since I know what you own.

On the other hand, BIll, in the words of one Sylvester the Cat "You're dithpicable". But since you know I'm kidding, if you want to unburden yourself of any of those rods, let me know.

Howard

canestixx
Sport

Post by canestixx »

I just received a JENKINS GA79 ,casts a DT5F very well in deed ! The rod is flamed & has very understated wraps. I own a 7/3wt. & 7.6/4wt. they all have that same great Jenkins feel to them.

Mark

JohnI
Sport

Post by JohnI »

I Received my Pickard 8026 Guide Thursday and it is absolutely beautiful. Hope to show it to a few smallmouth on Sunday.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

I picked up a Howells 8' four weight (3 5/8 oz.) this month and am looking forward to trying it out on my home waters. Four weeks ago I finally had the opportunity to fish the Payne 101 acquired last winter on some of my favorite streams in the Yellowstone country, and yes it is something special.
Jim

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

I think I need to buy some rods to keep this thread going and fit back in.
Nice rods guys!
Get off my vacation butt.

BDC
JohnImage

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

This weekend, I'll be heading up to Lyons to pick up the 7-1/2', 3/2 #4 that belongs to this reel seat ...
Sapere aude!

Soft Hackle
Master Guide

Post by Soft Hackle »

Beautiful Choo Choo , er I mean Joe. I am envious you will be in Co. as well as brandishing a Clark while there.

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

Thanks SH ... there's a sign on one of our blue highways that greets westbounders entering the Centennial State and it reads, "Tis a privelage to live in Colorado" ... this still holds true, despite the recent influx of a couple million new inhabitants -- some legal, many not.

It is still quite easy to get away from the masses, as most anglers are fixated on tailwater fisheries ... and the rest of the folks, well, they're all lined up waiting to partake in whatever happens to be the latest trend.

Regarding the rod, I have yet to see the finished product ... I'll take some photos once it's in hand and at the risk of burying this thread, again, I'll post one or two of them here.

And regarding Mike Clark, well, he is truly one of the good guys.
Sapere aude!

Bamboo Adict
Guide

Post by Bamboo Adict »

When I was at the Camp Sherman Show, I picked up a wonderfus 8' 4wt. built by Roger Fairfield. I is a great looking and casting rod. This is one of the new builders that I think I will have to have a lot of his rods.
David

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Last edited by Gnome on 09/11/16 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

Troutgetter
Sport

Post by Troutgetter »

Jeff and all you good folks,
That rod was phenomenol(SP?)!
It's condition was superb and could have gone fishing that afternoon. Thinking back on it and seeing that the nickel-silver was still as bright as the day it was pounded out and drawn, the ferrule design, the wood-workmanship of the butt and tip, the heavy cotton duck bag and a hand made wooden box that tapered to fit the rod with brass latch and hinges. Awesome!
If I remember right, this rod, box and sock were made during the civil war! That any portion survived at all for this length of time is, to me, incredible! It speaks highly of it's original and subsequent owners. They must have been like many of you on this board who recognized a quality fishing instrument and cared for it. It speaks highly of our fishing heritage and the respect we offer up to it.
While all of us who are making rods hope in the back of their minds, that "this" rod will be around long after I'm dead and still catching fish, the odds are against us. So much history has been lost in peoples attics, barns, and garages. Maybe this is one of the reasons we should spend the time to teach our kids to fish. We all know it isn't the catching that's important, it's the fishing and appreciating the present moment as well as the past and future moments. If that original owner hadn't appreciated what he had, likely his children wouldn't have either and that rod would have been lost to a landfill.
Mike
PS...to keep this reply in the proper thread of "New Rods Lately" I recently had the privelege of buying back a 6' 6" two weight rod that I made for Bill Taylor. Thanks Bill!

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

gee, my new rod don't look like the rest of y'all's.

South Bend 323, EX+ - I'm antsy for this rod to arrive - this will be the most delicate action rod I have, except of course for my 6' banty made from SB 323 mid and tips.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Ron two good friends of mine have 323's and you won't be unhappy with it. It's a VERY nice casting rod. Good Luck with it.

Rolf
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

Riverman

Post by Riverman »

Not the best pic, but here it is....
Goodwin Granger 7030 by Gary Lacey.

AusableWulff
Sport

Post by AusableWulff »

Christmas in August: !-- :D -->

Yesterday I recieved a W&M GS 8040 that I bought a while ago and had Gary Lacey restore. [As an aside, Mr. Lacey's restorstion work and customer service is second to none. Beautifull work Gary!]

I also recieved a W&M GS 8642 I won on Ebay. Hands down this rod was is the best condition of any rod I won an Ebay.

Now to finding time to fish....

-Chris

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Got several new sticks this year:
8' Heddon DeLuxe 35 Featherweight, restored by Mike Patterson-One of my favorites and a wonderful 5/6wt.
71/2' Mark Ruhe 2pce Premier- Very smooth 4/5 wt taper and like new. This one will take some practice.
81/2 Zietak copy of a Payne 204 and finished out like a Payne by Mike Patterson- Haven't used it all that much yet but very smooth - a little stronger than my Granger 8642 Premier.
6' Gary Williams 1wt which supposedly is a cut down Payne 101- Great fun in the creeks around here.
81/2' EC Powell for 5/6 wt- made by Tony Maslan-like new 'B' taper and really excited about trying it out. A real beauty.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

rsagebrush...check your IM

Jeremy.
I love clean, clear waters...

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”