Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Last edited by Gnome on 02/15/18 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Flyfishbill
Master Guide

Post by Flyfishbill »

I just received a Don Schroeder 8 foot, 6 weight, 3/2 with intermediate wraps. It has Don's screw-lock reel seat. I took it out in the yard and was quite impressed at it's casting ability. I can't wait to get it on the stream. Don makes a superb rod.

salmonid
Guide

Post by salmonid »

Just traded for a T&T Sans Pareil. Stunningly beautiful finish, sensual good casting rod.
Purty, should work out OK.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Don't worry about it Horsesho. It is doubtless superfluous to Sam Carlson. But where's the picture?

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

well ,
I am back from my trip and would love to see some photos of new rods.

BDC
JohnImage

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Post by uniphasian »

Well it's definately not new - maybe 25-26 years old now - but it's new to me. It has a few scratches, but nothing major. I'll bet it can tell a few fishing stories though, and hopefully has room for a few yet to put in it.

I haven't even put a line on it, but will do so on my next trip.

In my opinion, this is the height of understated elegance and beauty in a bamboo rod. I hope none of you has the heart to tell me it's a fake.

Leonard (Maxwell) 38DF-4:

- Uni

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

Uni

Now that is a wonderful looking stick, now all you need to do is wave it while standing in a river.............

twosnakes
Guide

Post by twosnakes »

Winston 8ft three piece
Wes Jordan 7.5 2 piece
Sherrill 7.5 2 piece
WM Granger 9050
Heddon Thorobred 8 ft three piece

Love the first three, selling the others to buy reels!

flyfishing69

Post by flyfishing69 »

Cloozoe ,it would seem that most people are amazed that the rod they just bought , would even cast is that not what they are disigned to do, you never hear i just bought a rod and it cast like crap. or maybe i can priase my self.sorry not
ff69

Boo
Master Guide

Post by Boo »

flyfishing69,
to buy a new rod and say it casts like crap would be grounds for banishment especially should that rod be from a board member. therefore, you won't see those remarks posted. all rods bought and sold on this site are great/beautiful casting tools without flaw. people just don't want them anymore. all is hunky dory here.!-- :D -->

flyfishing69

Post by flyfishing69 »

perhaps i mis lead you, if you wait for a great bamboo rod for some time and you findly get it ,and you cast it and some thing is differnt about it maybe you are not yet adjusted to the action and surly it is agreat rod,what are you going to say it is great, or well i got this great rod but,,,., i bought this rod from headwaters and thougt it was great at first, after i fish it was ok.
then i made a rod from blank ( dickerson taper), it cast and fishs great. i then found out the headwater rod was chinnese and is not as will as i first thougt. what i learn is not to be blind by the bamboo lust but to wait and see the true beauty in a great bamboo rod and to enjoy its grace full action. i do live and breath bamboo daily, and vist this as well as other forms. tell me how you really feel, is it a great rod or not.
ff69

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I cast like crap. None of my rods do.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

"I cast like crap. None of my rods do." by Teter

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I may actually have that made into a bumper sticker! It is truly one of life's, (mine), great truths.

Rolf
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

flyfishing69

Post by flyfishing69 »

i did not say that anybodys rods cast like crap and i apologize if if anybody took it that way, i feel that we mostly hear stereo typical answers, not how people realy feel.
i am getting a new 6wt dickerson taper rod in a couple of weeks i am preaty sure it wont cast like crap,it might be me the way i cast perhaps i should go to the blue river and practice. buti am sure it is a great rod and i can wait to get it.

Soft Hackle
Master Guide

Post by Soft Hackle »

Flyfishing69
Interesting to have our first teenage girl on the board.

flyfishing69

Post by flyfishing69 »

thanks i guess, i got this new rod and it is really pretty and shinny it is magical wanded that makes only big fish jump into my net.
i should go now and play with my barbies or bamboo

Soft Hackle
Master Guide

Post by Soft Hackle »

Just kidding. I have noticed very similar monikers appearing frequently on emails to my teen age son from female classmates.

flyfishing69

Post by flyfishing69 »

bamboo rods are a spectaculer,they are a fine craftsmanship a pleasure to hold and feel the rod action alive in your hand, weather it is a $2000 or a $500 rod, a new maker or old .
the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and a compment to the maker. it is a true work of art.
a pleasure to fish. good luck to all bamboo owners.
ff69

twosnakes
Guide

Post by twosnakes »

Yesterday got my Wes Jordan 7.5 foot rod. Beautiful. Looks like it has never been used. Fishing it tomorrow!

New2Bamboo
Guide

Post by New2Bamboo »

Just bought an E.W. Edwards #43 Quad from Mike P. Rod looks cherry. I can't wait to get it in my hot little hands and onto the water on Saturday (if conditions are right of course).

Bill

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”