Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

joep
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by joep »

This spring saw my 8"6 bolt 5 wt 3/2 show up after a 4 year weight. I have not fished it yet but it casts wonderfully and is the most beautiful rod I own. I also received my 8542 James Reid 2/2 spliced joint rod. It may be the best all around bamboo rod I own. It can fish nymphs and dries equally as well and and is not slow by any means. This is really a taper I think anyone that fished for trout would find useful.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

ARTHURK wrote:
Pentalux wrote:After 12 years my name finally came up and last month received a new 764-2 P HB from Per Brandin (7 1/2' 4wt Parabolic Hollow Built - his take on the Paul Young Perfectionist taper after 30 plus years of tweaking) - Action and performance of this rod is truly sublime. Now that water levels are down was finally able to get it on the water. This was its first fish last week.
Wow! Beautiful Brandin rod and nice dark & patterned fish Rob! You literally invented new rods while waiting and one of them made the ‘best of’ list. Wonderful and I agree your tapers are very well designed having had the privilege to test them myself. Interesting you did not ask Per to make the ventilated grip... such a grip unveiled a new ‘feel’ for me. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Arthur
Arthur hello!
Definitely thought about the ventilated grip as have seen several of his rods with but deferred to having him build it as he would for himself (Olive threads and all which I would generally not choose but seem perfect on this rod) - I had always thought the primary reason for the ventilated grip, at least as I recall Paul Young advertising them, was for added weight savings but they definitely do effect the perceived action.

Generally have become pretty heady about my own rods but had to give this one a showing.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Joep, can we see some pictures? That would be great! Ric

DWWoodJr

Post by DWWoodJr »

Gentlemen: I am attaching photos of the 7'7" Pezon et Michel "Colorado Pate" about which I posted on the 14th. I hope everyone enjoys them.

Dave Wood

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

That Colorado is a great rod, enjoy it.

A couple of Leonard Catskills, a 7' 3/2 Model 35 and a 7 1/2' 3/2 Model 36.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

An "oldie" but a "goodie"...and scarce too.

A circa 1927-29 Goodwin Granger 10'0" RF1062 "The Goodwin Rod"; 6 1/2 oz. w/slide band reel seat and oversize cigar grip. "Red" varnish and original bag and tube. Still straight as a string and with tight ferrules after 90+ years.
Scott :)
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Scott, wow. Nice rod!

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Scott, WOW! NICE rod!

Wait, is there an echo in the room?

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, guys!

There are a couple of issues I'll have my pal, Scott Whitman, address. But it's fun to find such an 'old warrior' in basically really fine shape (after clean-up)!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

Tough to criticize your choices if only picking up rods by three vintage makers and one contemporary build.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

POUM wrote: and perhaps the greatest ever, Per Brandin.
I agree ... But, we do have some young gun builders in the wings that over time may rival Per.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Ric,
Certainly Chris Vance is one of them.

Jim

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Agreed!

CTShooter
Sport

Post by CTShooter »

Guess I'm starting a collection
First, 1938 Wright McGill Granger Victory

Montague Ranger

And then there are these two
Can't read the label, 36.5" sections

And this one is metal, no name, painted to look like wood

Info on the last two much appreciated

jaaronson

Post by jaaronson »

I know nothing about fly rods but Just picked up two Rods for a good price and need to know from you guys if I got something that will be a decent gift to a good friend who loves to fly fish and whom really helped me out some years ago. I would like to give him the best of the two, maybe both. The first one is a two piece 8' Hardy's Hollokona like new, looks like it was never used with the bag and two tips made for Aberchrombe and Fitch, made in England, and the second one I have a hard time reading has the Number 273 on it, it is also a two piece 8' with two tips and in a bag, looks like it says The Empress by Constable of Bromley England. I have found the first one and it looks like it would be a great gift to him, but not sure about the second which also looks like it has never been used. Again finish on both looks new and unmarred.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I don't know about the Hardy's Hollokona, but the Empress by Constable is a nice rod. I got to cast CZKid's copy of that rod and it's a smooth casting rod.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

My next repair project, on a 1963 Carlson

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

The pics suggest it's in really good shape. What needs to be fixed (just curious)?

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Had that one on my watch list, hoping for a lotto windfall. :pipe
Nice score.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

The Carlson 4 is missing most of its guides. Dana G assumes that that was a product of brittle/dry silk that when someone took the rod out of the bag the guides simply popped off. So, I have to have the guides replaced, the silk around the guides redone, and then a revarnish about the new guides. DG has silk that matches (maybe the only spool still around) and guides ... Ric

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”