Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by wefishcane »

Thanks, Dennis. I meant to mention they are both 5 wts.
I will be staying in a cabin on the Madison (close to 3$ bridge) during May, June and August. Let's get together this year.

Jim

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Jim,
Sounds good. FYI There's not going to be any shortage water this year and it could be a long runoff with 127% of normal snowpack.

Dennis

para_adams
Master Guide

Goodwin Granger Victory, slide band & coke bottle

Post by para_adams »

I picked up this beautiful Victory from a fellow board member (thanks!). This is a Goodwin Granger Victory 8642 in a rare slide band seat and "coke bottle grip" configuration making it one of the earliest Victories made, likely in 1934. I think its one of the most beautiful rods ever made with its brown/black jasper wraps, black tipping and flanking wraps and deep toned cane. The reel is an early Pflueger GEM 2094, likely made around the same year. I'm looking forward to putting the camera away and fishing the rod this summer.

Instagram site @dryflyphotography
website ronraport.smugmug.com

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Just an awesome photo. Have you considered doing a classic gear calendar? Would be well received around here for sure..

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Holdover wrote:Just an awesome photo. Have you considered doing a classic gear calendar? Would be well received around here for sure..

DITTO!

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Goodwin Granger Victory, slide band & coke bottle

Post by SpringCreek »

para_adams wrote:

website ronraport.smugmug.com
Sweet rod and great picture.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Nice acquisition, para adams! Those Victory rods with brown/black jasper wraps and double black tipping may be the prettiest of all Granger models. And that's from someone who owns an Aristocrat and a Favorite.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Love Jim's rods. What are the line weight and physical weight of the 8'6" rod? Ric

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Great rod, and a wonderful photo, especially the composition. Please don't put the camera away for long!

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Hellmtflies wrote:
Holdover wrote:Just an awesome photo. Have you considered doing a classic gear calendar? Would be well received around here for sure..

DITTO!
That would be a fun project! And maybe a good way to, ahem....., Justify my dozen rod collection.

reelill
Master Guide

Post by reelill »

Yes Sir, Love the photo.
Antique Rod and Reel Library https://antiquerodandreels.com/
Antique Rod and Reel Exchange https://antiquerodandreels.com/rodandreelexchange/

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I love the rod and reel, and the composition of the photo is excellent.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

teter wrote:I love the rod and reel, and the composition of the photo is excellent.

DITTO!

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Ric,

The rod is a 5 wt. weighing just under 4 oz.

Jim

Expsp4043
Sport

Post by Expsp4043 »

Yesterday I received an 8ft. 5 wt. Steve Pennington, Pine River that I purchased from a fellow on E-Bay for $242.50. After examining it and thinking about I have decided that I might be a thief! LOL The rod is really nice in all respects and I can't say enough about the fit and finish. If the weather ever moderates and the snow melts here in N.E. Penna. I can't wait to line it up and try it out in the yard. I have read all the past threads about Mr. Pennington and his rods on this forum and I have to agree with the respondants that they far exceed the amount of money asked for them! MIKE

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Two new rods for 2019. Young guns/forum members Chris Vance and Andy Rubey. Both are 6 weights. Chris' rod is an 8'6" 2/2 6 wt rated hollow built hardened oil finish, with three tips, two for dry fly and a third slightly heavier tip for wets. Rod weighs 3.49 ounces with either dry fly tip and 3.52 ounces with the wet fly tip. Andy's rod is a 7'8" 3/2 6 wt rated solid, based on a Gillum taper tweaked by Matt Dougherty, I believe, following the taper found in the Howell's book (and also tweaked by Andy, of course). Both rods are decidedly fast, very Gillum'ish in their feel. Both excellent rods for the kind of fishing I do, and the Rubey gives me my first short 6 wt rod in a 3/2, ideal for Colorado and mid west rivers in general. I can't wait to line them up for some fishing, soon. Ric

solo8232000
Guide

Post by solo8232000 »

My good friend Edwin Beck, California rod builder and restorer extraordinaire,sent me his final rebuild which I received today..It is an 8.5' SB 357, 5wt dry fly rod. This will be his last rod and he gifted me the piece..I will post some pictures in a day or two. This final rod make 2077 rods he has rebuilt, restored or refinished over the years..His work is wonderful and his rods are wonderful to fish. What a great friend!!
Below are images of the rod Ed gifted me...Done in LSU colors so if it had been from a Sweet gum limb I would still love, but that it is a rebuild of a SB 357, it will just have to wait to be passed on when I am no longer at room temperature!!

Nathan

solo8232000

Last edited by solo8232000 on 03/20/19 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

A few years back, I acquired a neat Leonard Model "46", a 6' 3/2 3 weight. Built in the early post fire era for Charles Foreman, an executive at the (young at the time) UPS.

I had seen a companion rod, built a few years later for Mr. Foreman's wife Peg, a 5' (!) 2/2 3 weight with an independent handle. This past weekend at the Maryland Fly Fishing Show, I acquired that rod. The handle ferrule is 12/64 and the center ferrule is 7/64 (!)

I had a chance to cast the rod this evening. Though it is diminutive and light, it's actually not a toy - The rod will cast and I believe it will land fish as well. Best suited to small brookie streams of course, but I believe will be as much of a hoot to fish as it is to cast. You just have to grin when you cast this thing!

I'll get a husband & wife shot soon.

The label calls it 5 1/2', which is an error - It's precisely 60" when assembled. Everything else, bag, tube and section lengths, is exactly right, so I assume typo at the labeling machine.

In the pic, that's a Flyweight in the foreground for scale.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Wow, that is a cool rod. Congratulations.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Very KOOL!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”