Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Au Sable Bob

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by Au Sable Bob »

Just purchased a beautiful Wright & McGill Granger Premier (8642). From what I can tell, made in 1949. In excellent restored condition, and casts a 5wt. very nicely.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

A Hardy Hollolight 3 piece 8', #5 in new, unused condition, made in 1961. Bought at auction sale for £200 plus commission. This is a lovely DT4 to WF5 rod in my opinion and I have already caught 12 fish with it. There seem to be a few of these still around like new. Maybe this is because they were made just before fibreglass rods took over in popularity, so they were hardly used before their owners transferred to more modern rods. They were made as both 3 piece 1 tip and 3 piece 2 tips.

CTShooter
Sport

Post by CTShooter »

Gateway Deluxe 6300 9'
Nice closet find, sock and tube. Casts a wf6 very nice.
I had the reel and it balances the rod well.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Looks like an Edward's. Nice! Have you weighed it? I'm curious ....

CTShooter
Sport

Post by CTShooter »

I haven't weighed it, I'm new, what does the weight determine?

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I'm leaning toward H-I trade rod.
Gateway Sporting Goods had stores in Missouri and Kansas when I was growing up. I have one of their rods made by Union Hardware.
Looks like a fun rod.

CTShooter
Sport

Post by CTShooter »

It weighs 7.2 ounces.

I have another Union Hardware rod, an 8'6, the reel seat is brown plastic of some type and the wraps are much simpler. Union Hardware was a local company, it's fun to have a bit of the history.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Two Chris Vance rods this Spring. 8 1/2' six weight at 3.5 oz. and 8 1/2' four weight at 3.1 oz. During my visit with Chris to pick up the six weight, he had an ordered four weight almost finished. He lined the rod and handed it to me to cast. There are not words to describe how that rod casts itself. When the original order fell through Chris gave me the opportunity to acquire it. I fished it last week on the Gibbon, it was a pure joy.

Jim

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Jim, congrats! Two great rods from Chris! I am heading today/now to Colorado with my 8'4" 5 wt Vance in hopes of finding some water to fish it on. Reports are not good. Still way big water in Colorado.

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

I met a man on my way back from Tim Pond in Maine who had a FE Thomas rod for sale. It was a 1934; 9' brown tone special with oringial bag and hang tag. After considerable horse trading I was fortunate to leave with the rod. As soon as I arrived home the rod was on the water joined to a 3 5/8" Hardy Perfect with a 6wt line. After numerous casts/drifts without a rise or hit a change in tactics was needed. I tied on a big ugly orange/brown fly that hadn't ever seen water and on the second cast a big splash occurred. The rod handled the 10" rainbow with ease and provided a successful rod christening.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Nice pick-up, Tom!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

That's a nice Browntone, enjoy!

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

After 12 years my name finally came up and last month received a new 764-2 P HB from Per Brandin (7 1/2' 4wt Parabolic Hollow Built - his take on the Paul Young Perfectionist taper after 30 plus years of tweaking) - Action and performance of this rod is truly sublime. Now that water levels are down was finally able to get it on the water. This was its first fish last week.

sodbank
Master Guide

Post by sodbank »

Just picked up an Orvis Superfine ,7ft., 2pc,2 tips,11 ferrule from
a forum member.
Looking forward to taking it to some Pa. blue lines.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Pentalux wrote:After 12 years my name finally came up and last month received a new 764-2 P HB from Per Brandin (7 1/2' 4wt Parabolic Hollow Built - his take on the Paul Young Perfectionist taper after 30 plus years of tweaking) - Action and performance of this rod is truly sublime. Now that water levels are down was finally able to get it on the water. This was its first fish last week.
Wow! Beautiful Brandin rod and nice dark & patterned fish Rob! You literally invented new rods while waiting and one of them made the ‘best of’ list. Wonderful and I agree your tapers are very well designed having had the privilege to test them myself. Interesting you did not ask Per to make the ventilated grip... such a grip unveiled a new ‘feel’ for me. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Arthur

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

My first Jim Reams arrived today, and I am thrilled: 8', 3/2 4/5 wt. model and it's pristine, like-new. Stunning cane work, warm coloration to it, overall understated, so light-in-hand for an 8' rod.

DWWoodJr

Post by DWWoodJr »

Just received a Pezon et Michel Super Parabolic 7'7" "Colorado Type Pate" 2/2 in near-new condition. Like all the Super Parabolic series it has an offset ferrule with a filler for the butt when in storage - butt section is 39 1/2" and tip is 53". Wrapped with green and red tipping. It lawn-cast a Cortland Peach WF6F 70 feet with ease yet still delicate for short casts. This is my new favorite. 4.1oz. on my postal scale. I am looking forward to using it here in Pennsylvania and when I visit our son in Colorado. Thank you Charles Ritz!

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Well, I just received an 8'3" 3/2 4 wt rod from Marty Karstetter; I was on the list quite a while for this one. S/N in the 240ish range in 2019 for anyone who tracks such things. Still doing great work! Very pleased. While Marty calls this a 4/5 wt, it is more delicate feeling than either a) the 8'3" 2pc version (4/5's) and b) the 8' 5 wt 3/2, which I also find for me a 5 wt. This new rod seems more like a solid 4 to me, but time will tell.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Excellent Creaky. Good on ya! Marty's work is awesome. I have two of his rods currently. Top shelf. Marty is also one of the most genuine humans one can meet. Great guy.

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

Gents, Very glad that you got new rods but IMHO, your post must be accompanied by at least 4 pix so the rest of us can have a vicarious experience.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”