Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by jhuskey »

Having Dana do the repair will give you a great fishing rod, and best collectible as a restored Carlson. I thought there was only a single guide that needed replaced, obviously not paying close enough attention.
Well played!

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Dana has not committed to the repair work. He just has the one spool of matching silk and the guides. We'll see. Ric

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

"And this one is metal, no name, painted to look like wood"
CTShooter,
The metal rod with faux bamboo finish is a Heddon. I would like to cast one someday, just for sh*ts and giggles! From what I've Googled, they fish just fine, but I think tip sets will be a bit harder to get out with a hairdryer. :)

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm thrilled to have just received an 8ft Steve and Charlie Jenkins fly rod. My first bamboo rod was a Jenkins, which I was forced to sell during the Great Recession. Things have turned around, and found the on Robert Selb's site. The rod is in near perfect condition. I'm back.

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

Mr selb just dropped a simroe 7.5 2/2 3wt in the mail for me today. I didn't want to buy anything else, but this is the one rod that was designated "buy immediately" if it appeared on a dealers list.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Nice, joep! That should make a wonderful, sensitive small stream rod.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

billems wrote:I'm thrilled to have just received an 8ft Steve and Charlie Jenkins fly rod. My first bamboo rod was a Jenkins, which I was forced to sell during the Great Recession. Things have turned around, and found the on Robert Selb's site. The rod is in near perfect condition. I'm back.
Good to hear. I also recently purchased a reel that I had sold about 10 years ago and regretted. Saw one for sale on the big auction site and snagged it. When I received it the case looked familiar and when I opened the reel up to view the interior I saw an engraved name, which was exactly the same as the reel I sold. I pulled up some old pictures and laughed when I realized I purchased the exact reel I sold. Funny how things work out.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Rons Rods
Sport

Post by Rons Rods »

Picked up quite a few new rods (7'0" Leonard, Orvis, 7'6" Payne, Paul Young Midge, 8'0" 4wt Fisher Blank finished out by Bob Summers) but the one I'm really impressed with is a rod I've only seen one time before in all my years. Pezon et Michel \ Ritz 7'9" 5/6wt Variopower with a fiberglass butt and bamboo tip! Pretty amazing! The weight relief of the fiberglass butt really makes it a very usable rod!

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I won my first cane rod on the big auction site yesterday, an Heddon Thorobred 7’6” with 1 1/2 ferrules. It does have a mid-section scarf, done by Dennis Stone. So while not collectible it should be a very nice fishing rod. Bob Wagner pointed me to this rod. I pick it up tomorrow, as the seller lives nearby. I’ll put a Heddon 300 series reel on it.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Congrats. That is a great taper!
Enjoy
Vern

NMiangler

Post by NMiangler »

New to the forum and never posted previously but like looking through all of the threads. I picked up a Steve Kiley 7.5' 4/5 wt from Jim Bresko a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to the snow melting and spring arriving in northern Michigan so I can get on the river.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

I got shoulder surgery this winter and it's unclear what type of fishing I'll be capable of doing come May, but at the very least I'll be able to fish little Blue Lines and smaller flies, smaller set ups. So I've been on the look out for a small, sub 7 ft rod. I was keeping an eye out for a Lil Feller or a small Leonard, but through my research my dream rod became the Howells 6'3" 3wt. There's been one on ebay listed for a buy it now at around $5,000. I made an offer or two for less, but this guy never budges beyond $50 from his asking price. Anyhow, I was talking about this guy at work and the idea of asking for too much and waiting forever for someone to bite vs moving it along... well long story short someone listed the same rod that very day and I got it for the bid I made on the other. I feel horribly irresponsible for this purchase, but I don't have a house or kids and work a good job every day, so whatever. Can't be worse than blowing it up my nose or something.

Really excited to use this rod and get into smaller tippets and flies with it. The few Howells rods I've gotten my hands on have all been sweethearts, especially the 8' 3 3/4 oz 5wt. Unreal rod.

Anyone have experience with this rod?

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Dave,

I'm confused. You want feedback on the 8'0" 2/2 5wt 3 3/4oz? Or the 6'3" 2/2 3wt? Also unclear on which rod you bought? The only "sold" one is an 8 footer. Don't see any 6'3" on the "sold" list.

Whatever the case, agree Howells made super smooth, functional rods crafted to a high standard by a die-hard angler. Congrats!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Hey, I meant the 6'3", which is the one I bought.

That sold one on ebay was Marty Keane's, which is pretty cool. Not sure why the one I picked up isn't showing up.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

The Howells came today in a package that had been torn open, the tube exposed. Only happens with the expensive ones. However, it was in fine condition and after cleaning the ferrules I took it out and cast it a few times. I had to be careful because of my recent shoulder surgery, but I figured since the rod was so light I could make do, perhaps go lefty for a bit.

Well, even with my injured arm's limitations the rod cast beautifully. Insanely accurate and as Marty Keane wrote of Howells' rods this one seems to just cast a bit farther than similar 3 wts I have/had.

Anytime I spend a good chunk there's a part of me that feels stupid, but this was a no brainer.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Sounds like a beauty.

I reached out to a friend in Japan where short Howells rods are super popular, especially the 733-2. He has a very nice collection and figured he might have one for some comments for you, but alas, his favorite for small streams is the 703-2.

Enjoy your new find! Hopefully it's easy on your shoulder, too.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Thank you!

I can see this rod really only being for dries, wets, maybe a single lightly weighted nymph despite its surprising ability. I'd think a 7 footer would be more versatile. This rod is a bit of a departure for me as I'm usually a fan of versatility vs specialized functions. As I mentioned above I hope this rod lends itself to smaller setups for me to hunker down with and learn from this year.

Edit: Played with it a bit more and it reminds me of a small dog with big dog energy. Some lighter rods I've found you need to learn or trust in feel, but this is a small rod that you can lean into if you wish and play with your loops. Very, very cool rod.
Last edited by DaveNJ on 02/14/20 09:21, edited 1 time in total.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I just bought a Heddon Black Beauty, 8 ft, 1 3/4 ferrules, it still has plastic on the grip and all sections are equal and straight. The paper label on the tube is in great shape ( how should I protect it). But it had been stored in excessive heat. It has fuzz from the bag generously coating most of the bamboo and ferrules. Not surprising, but what was was that the reel seat has shrunk so that down lock is too large for the threads and the silhouette of the end of the rod is discernible under the shrunken plastic. Looks like I will need a new seat in addition to stripping and revarnishing.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Finally, I got the rod I've coveted for the last 15 years a M K Spittler Midge Quad 8' 3/2 4wt. hollow-built med-fast action.

Dennis

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice Dennis!
So how does this rod cast? I have no clue what the typical action Spittler rods are.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”