Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

jlk
Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by jlk »

Don really is a wonderful guy, and I'd love to see pictures of the rod. This spring I got a 7'9" 4 wt 3/2 quad, a recent taper he's really excited about--a terrific rod.

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Ditto on Don. Great guy and exceptional builder. I should have a new one in about 2 weeks and will have to post pictures. Also, from one of our fellow forum members, have an Abrams 8' 3/2 Edwards Presentation with a "Hawes casting grip" on the way, and received, about a month ago, a new Bob Clay 8' 3/2 glass ferrruled 5 wt. A good group of rods for some summer fishing. Ric

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Ric, would love to have your impression of the glass ferruled rod from Bob Clay. His work is held in high esteem as you well know.

Cheers

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

Adrien, I have one of Bob Clay's spliced joint rods; a 6/7 weight, and while it is a neat rod, I really don't care for the idea of a 2 piece rod that I have to move around with a spool of tape. HOWEVER, his 3/2 rods in either the composite/graphite ferrule or glass ferrule are exceptional. Light rods top to bottom; a fairly fast taper ala Dickerson. I think Lyle would be building Bob Clay rods if he were alive today. Ric

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Thanks Ric, your Clay sounds brilliant! I know another of the few builders who work in glass ferrules, Mario W, only offers 2 piecers (must be like heaven though) and a travel version 3/2 would be great. I really like the sound of the taper also.

I hope to see some action photos of you with some of your amazing rods one day.

Cheers

jost

Post by jost »

My new Summers 856 I bought from a forum member this spring. :lol
Here you have some pictures.

Johan from Sweden
ImageImageImage

N2B

Post by N2B »

I just grabbed the Howells 8' 6wt (4 1/8th) off eBay. I was surprised it sat there that long. Anyone have experience fishing this particular taper? It struck me as a big water rod which I have room for in the arsenal.

Bill - N2B

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Baby Matilda got a new rod!

Post by Kenneth »

For her second month birthday, little Matilda got her first rod today, a Green River Mettowee 1-pc 4-1/2' 4wt from the "Brush" series. I'd been looking casually for one ever since I read Engle's book, but I never dreamed that I would actually be able to find one for her so I'm very, very pleased.

Made from a single culm, flawless impregnated bamboo and precise 3X3 node matching with beautiful cosmetics. Serial# 6804, so this is the fourth rod made in, I'm guessing this, 2007 (or am I wrong? I'm having a hard time finding out when Mr. Gorman was born).

Most importantly, a great casting rod despite the short length, tested it in the long and narrow corridor of the basement at my work-place.

With a Cortland Sylk WF4F, tight loops and very accurate out to 30'. Can do 60' on a single haul (ran out of space so am wondering whether it could actually throw a whole line), although this will be used for fishing much shorter distances on a specific brush-choked spring creek that we know of. Very forgiving casting stroke, and you really have to push the forward cast before you get the dreaded tailing loop. Nice!

The rod

The proud owner

Where it will be used most

Kenneth

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Go get'em Matilda!!!

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Kenneth,

You are a genius! My daughter is nearly two and a half years old, and she does not yet own a single bamboo rod. How could I have been so blind? From now on all college fund savings will take the form of investments in a quiver/portfolio of fine cane rods.

Congrats on the Mettowee. Though I've never had the pleasure of handling one myself, I've heard that Green River rods are exceptional. I have, however, fished the river in Vermont after which your rod was named; it is a bit bigger than the stream you have in mind, but not too much. I'm sure you and Matilda will enjoy fishing that stream together in a few years!

Thanks for the post, and for opening my eyes to a whole new set of possibilities.

Bret

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Bret, you're right, I AM a genius! New scenario in the Yong household, "Honey, I bought another fine cane rod for Matilda's investment portfolio! And we'll be doing some risk analysis tomorrow down at the crick..."

Thank you, Bret Image!

Kenneth

Mataura mayfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Mataura mayfly »

Gaspar 6'6" #5 weight 2/2.
Fantastic wee rod made by Boris Gaspar, Australia. Beautifully made, great attention to detail and pure pleasure to cast.
Bring on the new NZ season!! :D :D

Teamed up with an early post War Beaudex 3 1/2" narrow spool.

fishwoodrods
Guide

Post by fishwoodrods »

Kenneth.
I appreciate your unselfish gift to your beautiful daughter. I, like you, couldn't help myself when my three sons were born, and had to give them ;) each, a very early gift, and documented my generosity with these pictures. I later made a frame of bamboo to forever enshrine my(ahem), thoughtfulness. Really, your daughter is a SWEET PEA ! !
Mark.

CTobias
Guide

Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by CTobias »

My new Walter Babb 8' 6wt.

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

Fresh off of Mike & Kathy's benches comes this 7'9' 3/2 #4 ... and after breaking her maiden up on Cigar this past Saturday, suffice it to say that this rod instantly shot to the top as my personal favorite -- what an absolutely phenomenal taper! As with a previous SC Ltd rod, I wanted a unique spacer species and after much searching, I decided upon and sourced some Bastogne Walnut (aka, Paradox or Bastard Walnut), a natural occurring, but extremely rare California (English & Claro Walnut) hybrid.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

fishwoodrods wrote:Kenneth.
I appreciate your unselfish gift to your beautiful daughter. I, like you, couldn't help myself when my three sons were born, and had to give them ;) each, a very early gift, and documented my generosity with these pictures. I later made a frame of bamboo to forever enshrine my(ahem), thoughtfulness. Really, your daughter is a SWEET PEA ! !
Mark.
Mark, Thanks for the kind remarks. You know what they say about great minds and all that. I like the bamboo frame idea and might do something along those lines later on.

BTW, guys, that SCL rod is a stunner, no less the Babb.

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Joe - love that South Creek - it will be an inspiration as I work my way up 'the list' ;)

Here is my latest find - PHY Driggs River taper by Jon Lintvet of NY (have not had chance to fish it yet but it is close ...

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Shoeless,

My daughter Ashley has the exact taper from Mike and Kathy and it is a wonderful rod! Enjoy.

Arthur

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

My summer catch

Schroeder quad, Abrams "Edwards" with a Hawes casting grip, and Clay hollowbuilt with fiberglass ferrules. Three nice but each nicely different 5 weights.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

paxlev, Double Wow - Christmas came early huh! THose are three stunning rods to add to any collection. The Schroeder is especially nice to look at. Enjoy fishing those beauties.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”