Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by EastslopesTH »

blackdog wrote:I acquired this Heddon Thorobred Featherweight 8’0” with 0 ferrules the other day. Took it fishing yesterday. Just terrific.
Blackdog, what line worked for you on the Heddon 8' 0f?

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

EastslopesTH wrote:
blackdog wrote:I acquired this Heddon Thorobred Featherweight 8’0” with 0 ferrules the other day. Took it fishing yesterday. Just terrific.
Blackdog, what line worked for you on the Heddon 8' 0f?
A 5 weight Sylk was perfect for me.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Thanks Blackdog, enjoy the rod.

yam4usps

Post by yam4usps »

I just joined the forum because I bought a quadrate bamboo.
I found your discussions interesting.
When I was a kid (1966) I lived on Union St, Bristol, Ct
That’s the same street that Horton Mfg was on.

yam4usps

Post by yam4usps »

There was small tackle shop on Union St owned by a man Ed named Walt Lassey. It was a fly fishing shop small and cluttered. I was fascinated
And used to look around and get in the way.
Someone said that Bill Edwards worked at Hortons and I wonder if he frequented this fly shop which was about 100 yards from Hortons.

yam4usps

Post by yam4usps »

Anyway I got the quadrate just because I it was a deal, I don’t fly fish
I’m looking to either flip it or fix it.

yam4usps

Post by yam4usps »

The quadrate I got is marked ‘Quadrate sixty’,, the rod is at my son’s house right now I’ll post pictures this weekend if anyone is interested in seeing it.
I know it needs at least a little repair work, I’ve only see photos myself at this point.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Here's a picture of a new Marty Karstetter hollow built 8'3" 3/2 4wt. 3 5/8oz. medium-fast action.

Dennis
Click to enlarge

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Beautiful rod, Dennis. I always admired his understated cosmetics. That rod has a lot of accolades. Let us know how it fishes when you get an opportunity.

-Dwight

P.S. I have his version of Payne’s Canadian Canoe rod and dying to use it but I haven’t been doing any big trout trips lately and seems sort of sacrilegious using for bass (and risky since bushwhacking is usually involved).

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Nice rod Dennis! :)

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ibookje wrote:Nice rod Dennis! :)

DITTO! :)

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Dennis,

I've got that Karstetter 3 5/8 oz rod in a 2 piece configuration. One of my go-to rods. It has that special balance of power and feel. I like mine with a Cortland Sylk #5. Here's mine on the W. Branch of the Delaware during a Green Drake hatch.

Bret

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Thanks to all for the info and nice comments.

Dennis

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Dennis,

I've cast that same model and think it's an outstanding caster. A little on the fast side of medium fast and can also take a 5 line, but better, in my opinion with a 4. Of course it has the excellent understated finish that Marty's rods always have. It's been great on the Henry's Fork, where a rod that can push a light line and leader sometimes 40-45' into an afternoon breeze is what you need. Will also be a winner wherever the winds blow in the afternoon - like everywhere in the West!

Congrats!

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

yam4usps wrote:There was small tackle shop on Union St owned by a man Ed named Walt Lassey. It was a fly fishing shop small and cluttered. I was fascinated
And used to look around and get in the way.
Someone said that Bill Edwards worked at Hortons and I wonder if he frequented this fly shop which was about 100 yards from Hortons.
No, Walt Lassey, bless his soul just past away. Actually the two men who owned and operated the S&M Fly Shop were Walter Stockman and Charlie Malley, very fine individuals! I had the pleasure of parting with my hard earned green backs there in the late 70's early 80's.
Last edited by barnesspecial6 on 04/09/20 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Hey Folks. I hope everyone is staying healthy! I'm doing my best to limit myself to other individuals, I have purchased 2 new to me vintage rods, a real sweet 8' 3/1 Amherst Bamboo, HEH line, I think the company which I believe may have been associated with the Montague Rod Co.was only manufacturing rods from '47-'52, very nice looking as well as casting rod a little set in the tip but I have 39 other vintage bamboo rods, I'm somewhat used to sets. The other rod, I may get some backlash on this one, is another sweet casting and looking fly rod, which is straight as an arrow! is a vintage Heddon, hollow steel 8.5' HDH/HCH 3/2, I'm not going to part with my Bamboo's to acquire additional steel rods but contrary to anyone's opinions, I happen to enjoy and fish this rod, it does not have a flimsy tip and I had the pleasure to land my first of the season Brown's a wild 16 incher which it handled very well!!ImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on FlickrImageUntitled by jerzy pawlowski, on Flickr

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Nice rod and fish, Jerzy! I've toyed with the idea of trying one of the 8.5' steel Heddons, but never pulled the trigger.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I often fish tiny streams here in Utah where you could often step, or at least jump across them. Since they usually have a lot of overhead branches, I find a long rod such as my 6 1/2' Orvis RMF&S and Madison Flea to be a bit too long, so I had this rod made up. I just finished lawn casting it and was blown away! Only a flick of the wrist and could accomplish very short to 30'+ casts. It took just a bit to get used to before I simply moved to moving my wrist and not any arm. I can't wait to take it fishing it this weekend. Anyone want to take a guess at what it is?

Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 10/16/20 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

6' 9" "Wallop Brook" by Constable of Bromley. Two piece, one top, (very) staggered ferrule. This is one of the early ones with a bamboo extended ferrule plug rather than the later aluminium one. Marked 772 which may mean it was made in 1972. I have another one with the long aluminium stopper which is marked C75.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:I often fish tiny streams here in Utah were you could often step, or at least jump across them. Since they usually have a lot of overhead branches, I find a long rod such as my 6 1/2' Orvis RMF&S and Madison Flea to be a bit too long, so I had this rod made up. I just finished lawn casting it and was blown away! Only a flick of the wrist and could accomplish very short to 30'+ casts. It took just a bit to get used to before I simply moved to moving my wrist and not any arm. I can't wait to take it fishing it this weekend. Anyone want to take a guess at what it is?

It looks that the tip section of that Sweetgrass rod has a "new grip and reelseat"! ;)
r :)

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”