Got a new rod lately? # 2

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Got a new rod lately? # 2

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Good eye Jan96, but the mid, not the tip as this is a 3-piece rod.

I felt that I needed (not a want) a shorter rod for some of the smaller streams, so I contacted Glenn at SR about what I had in mind. He said let me play with this and get back to you. He thought that based upon their tapers, that I could use the tip and mid to accomplish what I had in mind. My 7'9" 3-piece mantra now has a Tourist handle that fits the mid ferrule. I highly recommend this to anyone with the 4/5 wt 3-piece. Casting is effortless. Now I just need to see how it feels with a little brown or brookie on the end.

jrpaquatics
Guide

Post by jrpaquatics »

#13 8’ 1 3/4f delaminated tip
#115 8’ 1 3/4f needs some guides redone
#14 8’6” 1 3/4f 1 inch short mid, cracked male ferrule
#20 8’6” 1 3/4f melted finish

I’m surprised at how much thicker the 8’ tips are than the 8.5’ with the same size ferrules. I guess it makes sense since all of my 9’ 2f have thinner tips than the 8.5’ 2f. The 8’ still feel like they will be a nice rod, they are the firsts of that taper for me.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

This is really cool
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:Good eye Jan96, but the mid, not the tip as this is a 3-piece rod.

I felt that I needed (not a want) a shorter rod for some of the smaller streams, so I contacted Glenn at SR about what I had in mind. He said let me play with this and get back to you. He thought that based upon their tapers, that I could use the tip and mid to accomplish what I had in mind. My 7'9" 3-piece mantra now has a Tourist handle that fits the mid ferrule. I highly recommend this to anyone with the 4/5 wt 3-piece. Casting is effortless. Now I just need to see how it feels with a little brown or brookie on the end.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

DaveNJ wrote:This is really cool
NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:Good eye Jan96, but the mid, not the tip as this is a 3-piece rod.

I fished this configuration today and was very pleased. For very little money, I now have two Sweetgrass Rods

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Recently took possession of a Perfectionist built by PJ Julius...sweet, smooth rod. Now, if only I could get out and fish it.

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Nice looking Perfectionist!

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

Beautiful rod. I have a Paul Julius built Para 14 taper rod that a beauty too. I don't know if Paul is still building rods.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

sagegrouse715 wrote:Beautiful rod. I have a Paul Julius built Para 14 taper rod that a beauty too. I don't know if Paul is still building rods.
Thank you! Paul officially closed his business a couple years ago, but was building a rod or two for winter projects. Not sure if he's going to continue building, but I would love a Midge and a Para-14 or Para-15 from him.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

GerardH wrote:Recently took possession of a Perfectionist built by PJ Julius...sweet, smooth rod. Now, if only I could get out and fish it.

Lovely looking stick Herb....ALL those pics! I'm looking forward to casting it a few times but I can and will wait!

Fun stuff indeed. I'm finding myself staying put this season with all the cars at the bridge(s)!!!

Dammit!!!

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Got my hands on a Don Schroeder 7'9" 5wt hex. VERY impressed. I've been looking for about a 7'6" 5 or 6wt for Jersey, want something that feels good in close and then out from there, yet something that also loads with authority in close. THIS is that rod. I'm admittedly spoiled with my equipment but I'm especially excited about this rod. The coolest part is that I knew nothing of Mr. Schroeder's work before I got to cast it.

blackdog
Guide

Post by blackdog »

I got my Folsom/Divine 8’ 3/2 rod back from Steve Sobieniak at Root River Rod Company yesterday. He restored the rod and I’m very happy with the results. He stripped the old varnish, scarfed the butt section out to full length, reset the ferrules, rewrapped it, and dipped it with new varnish. It was built by Fred Divine in the 1926 - 1928 period, so over 90 years old. I plan to fish it. It takes a DT4 very nicely. Can’t wait to use it!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Aroner, 71/2', #4, DF, Spring Creek, 3/2. Not a new rod and I don't know its full history. It arrived this morning and I caught four trout with it this evening. I am more than pleased with the rod and delighted to catch four fish in difficult, near drought, conditions (the stretch of river in the photo is just above a weir so still has a bit of depth). The first two were on upstream nymph and then a couple on dry Mayfly as a sporadic hatch developed.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Godroy, nice looking set up. Did you go with the JLH 5 size? I recently picked up the 2/3/4 for some smaller rods and really like it.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Thank you! Well spotted! It is a 2/3/4 with a DT4F and no backing. I like the JLH Ultralite reels too and I have a 5 but I don't need backing on this tiny river.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Beautiful rod Godfroy and great first outing. I believe the reel seat is Birds Eye Maple? I love the way Marc stains his B E Maple to make those eyes shine.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I am informed that the rod was probably made in the 1980's.

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

I was never much a fan of blond rods until this beauty showed at my door.

"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Beautiful Bob Taylor rod!

Bamboomatt999

Post by Bamboomatt999 »

A rod I bought on the big auction site last week. 8.5 foot True Action. Has anybody seen a True Action like this with FULL INTERMEDIATES? It's a spectacular casting rod with a DT5. Best I have cast so far and I have a few Grangers in that configuration. I feel like I struck gold.

Bamboomatt999

Post by Bamboomatt999 »

Another view.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”