PHY Perfectionist Action

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: PHY Perfectionist Action

Post by munsey w »

Anyone looking for that "true" PHY action from a Perfectionist can find it at Bob Summers site: 1975 Perfectionist, Never fished, Brand new! only $4k WOW sweet rod!

kingstu
Guide

Post by kingstu »

I talked to Bob about the rod when he was refinishing my Perfectionist with the light tips #3938. I think he wanted me to buy it! But I like the one he refinished!! The rod built in 1975 by Bob (resorcinol glue lines) Mint unused beautiful, if I did not own one I would buy it. Unused very rare.

Stu

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The male ferrules look unblued on that rod, which is quite surprising. The female is not shown....

I have a Summers 75 from late 1975, so he must have moved out on his own earlier that year.....

kingstu
Guide

Post by kingstu »

Bob Summers told me even when he started his own business, he continued to help Jack out with building and finishing PHY rods. So at least from 1975 into 1976. I would assume once Todd Young got into the business and was up to speed, Bob's help was no longer needed.

Stu

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

So with all this discussion about Paul Youngs flaming/heat treating process, I am not sure I understand exactly how PY accomplished this and how did this improve his rods? Doesn't the flame treating process make the strips more brittle?

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

PHY and Bob use a contraption called "the ring of fire" I think somewhere on youtube you can see something like this in action. Bob says that is all the heat treating he does.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ummmmm, did I see Resorcinol? Jay Edwards

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Doesn't the flame treating process make the strips more brittle?

PHY's explanation, from the circa 1951-52 catalog (green cover): "There is a statement in a copyrighted book of recent date to the effect that heat makes bamboo brittle and undependable. We agree that a severe baking would do just that; therefore, we don't bake our cane. Our round culms of cane are rotated rapidly through a circular burner which uses gas and compresed air until the outer surface of the cane becomes a dark brown, not charred, just enough to temper it. The "chalk," or enamel, is always removed, whether white-natural cane, baked, or flamed as we do it."

Admittedly, a catalog is advertising, but FWIW to you, these photos are from the same circa 1952-53 catalog:

These six strips, shown before mitering, were for the tip section of a PHY 9'6" bonefish rod. Note the less-easily seen hexagonal cross-section pieces on either side of the more prominent pieces.

The glue is not named, but this photo of a section pounded with a hammer and anvil is meant to show that the cane material can fracture before the glue bond gives way:
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

cwood
Master Guide

Post by cwood »

Pretty cool. Flowery marketing or not, it's darn impressive. I wonder why makers today don't emphasize their bamboo more? It seems now that so much is focused on pretty cosmetics that marketing the taper and cane quality doesn't cut it. I've handled more than one beautiful rod from noted makers that were flat out dogs on the water. My old Para 15 would never make it today in this new world of cosmetic appeal, but man could it cast. I could park my Subaru in some of the glue lines on my old Young rod! My favorite contemporary maker stresses his tapers and casting characteristics more than anything; however, his cosmetics happen to be nearly perfect. To me that gives the total package, but I rather have a great casting rod than a pretty rod any day.

kingstu
Guide

Post by kingstu »

Quash ( POWER FIBERS), I just picked up a PHY: Parabolic 18 9'3" built 1951-52 6 1/8 oz. GAF, Paul H. Young Detroit Maker, 18/64 ferrule, 7/64 TipTop. I think this is the same taper used for Ted Williams 9'3" rod! Bright Step down ferrules, 2 thumb inprint on straight cork handle. The rod was restored by Bob Summers, kept down lock butt cap small 3in. extension, and a 6 in. extension with old type black rubber butt cap. Walnut reel seat down locking screw ( Bob Summers). Beautiful beast. The power fibers in this is intense. 9 wt. The rod was unused the cork handle just dried out!
Stu

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Would love to see pictures of this beast. Here is a 9'3" Para 18 rod built for Ted Williams, May 1950. No extension butt of any kind. I sure wish Young had put more extension butts on these larger rods.

Description from the PHY Database: PHY PARA 18 built for Ted Williams, dated May 1950, 9'3", 6-1/8 oz. Varnished flamed cane, screwlock cork seat with black pocketed cap (Detroit stamp), and bright downlocking hardware. Half Wells grip. Decorative spiral wraps at front of cork grip. Butt lettered on three flats; First flat: Ted Williams May 1950 Second flat: 9'3" - 6 1/8 oz. "Parabolic 18" Third flat: Bamboo wt. 4.50 oz. Also marked: Fer - .281 Tip Top .093 (6/64) The Ted Williams signature looks like Williams' own handwriting, but may also have been "drawn" that way by Young, as Williams' signature was well known. The other lettering is definitely written by PHY. Private collection.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

kingstu
Guide

Post by kingstu »

Ok Quash I will try to post some pics in the future. Even the Rod tube is different, push button mechanism to lock cap the tube appears custom. Bob told me that those tubes are rare and he almost kept it. I am glad it came back with the rod.
Stu

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I've cast many "Perfectionists," meaning those not made by Paul Young. They were all good rods, but ran the gamut as far as speed and feel. Some were too fast and clubby feeling. Others were like effortless magic. All claimed to be from the PHY taper. I have a friend who has a Summers Perfectionist that is much lighter in feel than the standard. It's just poetry.

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

The only one I have cast is my Jim Beasley 4 wt Perfectionist. It seems to have a lot of spring and drive in the tips as compared to ab sort of dead feel I get from my other 7.5 rod, an impregnated T&T special trouter. The tips on the Beasley are scary thin but have held up to 15 years of intermittent fishing for me. I fish it with a WF 4.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”