Divine Rod Serial numbers requested

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

86football

Post by 86football »

All it says is 'The Divine Rod' and R1618
I made a post before I read this link....oh well

wayne

Post by wayne »

Dear Sir, I am in possession of a model, "Special Dry Fly" Divine Mfg. fly rod. Serial number is: R-2278. The condition, I believe is quite good. The only flaw I can see, is that the front guide (red ruby), has the wrapping loose, along with one of the wire guides, and close to breaking. The guide is still there, but missing one of the wire ones, however, but rough treatment, will cause the ruby guide, to dislodge from the rod. The remaining guides are still intact with original red/green thread. The aluminum tube, containing both tips, with the cloth cover, is still intact. The outside cover, which is brown, is still intact as will. One of the ties at the top of the cover, have been "tied or pieced" back together as it must have broken in years past. The bottom tie, is in tact. Photos can be sent if your're interested. The reel base is 37", middle section is around 36", and the two tips measure 34", and 37". This model is, I believe, a 1917 model, and has the distinctive large 'wood knob' below the reel seat. It still has the cork reel seat and does not have any cracks, but minor discoloration only. The varnish has never been replaced or re-finished in my lifetime or in my father's, to my knowledge. My father purchased this rod as a young man, and never divulged its cost to anyone in the family. He was killed during WWII, and although I've kept it for 63 years, and understanding your love for the Divine, I would be willing to sell it to you. If you are interested, please drop me a line. Sincerely yours, Wayne H. Bigham Fort Worth, TX 817-343-0361- cell

okiebait

Post by okiebait »

is there any value on a South Bend bamboo fly rod only marked 47-9. It is 3 piece w/ an extra tip, 9"' long. Also a Columbia fly rod 3 pice w/extra tip no other marks and 9' long. Please e mail me at [email=thomchucker@aol.com..Thanks]thomchucker@aol.com..Thanks[/email]

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

H9304
Rainbow
9' 3/2 but both tips short, longer one about 2" short (rod is waiting for a complete redo).
Cherrywood (I think) reel seat with blued hardware.
Tyings B/W jasper with red tippings.
No decal. "The Divine Rod" written above the model name "Rainbow" in the same style - curved script.

Lockfast
I have long classed trout with flowers and birds and bright sunsets, and charming scenery, and beautiful women, as given for the rational enjoyment and delight of thoughtful men of aesthetic tastes. (George W. Van Siclen 1886)

tomldavies

Post by tomldavies »

I just bought a Divine Rainbow in less-than-perfect condition in Portland Oregon. Its serial number is R3970. It has only one tip and that tip is about 5 inches shorter than the other two sections. It's about 9'2" long overall. The two lower sections are 39" overall and the tip is 34" overall. It's missing its stripping guide and I'm wondering what kind/size of stripping guide I should be looking for as a replacement. Any thoughts/sources?

It uses kind of a tiger-stripe (black and gold) thread to bind the guides, so I'm also looking for something close to that to attach a new stripping guide.
Last edited by tomldavies on 03/14/09 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

Grandhogair
Guide

Post by Grandhogair »

I have two. The first is a 3/2 9 foot rod, serial number R5959. It has the cherry wood colored reel seat. Believe a Special. It has red tipped gold (or yellow?) wraps on the hook keeper, and red black gold signiture wraps, red intermediates, and red tipped gold guide and ferrule wraps. The stripper is not agate. Decal says The Divine Rod Utica NY. Aluminum tip tube and original heavy cloth bag for the tip tube and mid/butt sections. (just noticed that Bill Charles from whom I bought the rod already listed the serial number).

Number two is an 8 1/2 foot rod, 3/2 no serial number, no model, with red and black signiture wraps, red intermediates, a large wire guide instead of a stripper and the guide/ferrule wraps are red with black tipping, non original bag and came in a brass capped aluminum tube. All sections full length. Also the cherry wood type reel seat. Stamped The Divine Rod on the butt cap. Tip tops have a double wire loop.

Alan
Last edited by Grandhogair on 03/23/09 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Hi Michael, number H77, a 5 1/2' staggered ferrule baitcaster with agate guides and 1910 patent locking Beacroft reelseat. All sections full length and complete, two tips. Has original tan colored velvet form with leather end cap and canvas bag.
Last edited by 16parachuteadams on 03/28/09 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

hugh5

Post by hugh5 »

Dear Forum Members:

I believe that I have a vintage FRED DIVINE - BAMBOO FLY ROD - as shown below. I have been told - by some fairly knowledgeable folks that it could very easily be a Divine "Tournament" Model. I'm NOT an expert on vintage bamboo fly rods so I would greatly appreciate any and all of the forums most valuable input regarding the positive I.D. of this vintage fly rod.

The rod is stamped on its - light weight - nickel silver reel seat - the number - "R6363". This letter/number - I was told but cannot 100% verify - designates a 1927 mfg date. Does that make any sense? There is Nothing on the butt end cap or elsewhere on the rod to help I.D. the maker/model.

The rod weighs about 5.5 ounces. I believe this to be a 9 foot fly rod when fully assembled.

Overall it is in good "refinished/restored" condition with NO sign of abuse other than ONE of the TWO tip sections has been broken close to the tip - about two/three inches short (no tip GUIDE included.) The bamboo is a beautiful "honey" colored. Obviously the restorer did a rather POOR job of keeping the logo and the original thread wraps that were in place every 1-3 inches along ALL sections of the rod for additional reinforcement.

This rod is a three-piece rod - with two tips. Finish/varnish overall is excellent, shiny, and very, very clean - see photos. Almost ?like new? condition as far as the NEW - "finish" is concerned. Again...crappy job of keeping the original Devine logo and secondary thread wraps.

The location of the old "secondary" thread wraps can be seen oh so very faintly running all along EACH sections. You cannot "feel" the locations of these old "secondary" thread wraps with your fingers - you can only faintly "see" them.

The butt section is 36.75" long. The middle section is the same length as the butt and the tip section(s) are the same except for the one tip section that is broken - at the tip - about 2-3 inches short. All sections are reasonably straight and nice - but NOT absolutely perfectly 100% straight.

The diameter/thickness of the six-sided bamboo is 11 mm - measured directly in front of the cork handle.

The fine quality ferrules and guides appear to be all tight and more than likely - original - see photos. The guides and wraps appear to match each other and are intact (except the busted end tip guide). The cork grip was lightly soiled but has been wiped/cleaned to remove some light soiling. - see photos.

The rod comes in what appears to be an original, somewhat soiled - FRED DIVINE FLY ROD - heavy old brown felt cloth storage sack. The sack fits into an unmarked aluminum rod tube that has a tiny crack in the threads that you can barely see. This tiny crack prevents the cap from being tightened down 100%.

Thanks forum members for taking the time to read my post....your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.......

Regards,

Dan

para_adams
Master Guide

Re: Divine Rod Serial numbers requested

Post by para_adams »

Divine Fly-Wate, 7' 2/2 2.75 oz. Serial number R1878.

4 wt, size 12 ferrule, tips 6/64, near hook keeper 18/64. Cork reel seat.

Photos to come soon.

azbamboo
Sport

Post by azbamboo »

Rainbow (label on rod) 7' fly rod, currently a 3/1, serial number R6422 on all 3 sections of the rod. I do not have the original sock or tube so I cannot determine if it was once a 3/2.
On the mid-section, above the male ferrule and below the serial number, are the following series of numbers/characters. The numbers/characters run horizontal on the rod; one character/number per flat. These sequences are parallel to each other with a thread wrap separating these sequences:
J (?) 121
S120
The serial numbers run vertical on the mid and tip sections and horizontal on the reel seat cap. The rod has black and maroon partial intermediate wrappings.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

hugh5 wrote:Dear Forum Members:

I believe that I have a vintage FRED DIVINE - BAMBOO FLY ROD - as shown below. I have been told - by some fairly knowledgeable folks that it could very easily be a Divine "Tournament" Model. I'm NOT an expert on vintage bamboo fly rods so I would greatly appreciate any and all of the forums most valuable input regarding the positive I.D. of this vintage fly rod.

The rod is stamped on its - light weight - nickel silver reel seat - the number - "R6363". This letter/number - I was told but cannot 100% verify - designates a 1927 mfg date. Does that make any sense? There is Nothing on the butt end cap or elsewhere on the rod to help I.D. the maker/model.

The rod weighs about 5.5 ounces. I believe this to be a 9 foot fly rod when fully assembled.

Overall it is in good "refinished/restored" condition with NO sign of abuse other than ONE of the TWO tip sections has been broken close to the tip - about two/three inches short (no tip GUIDE included.) The bamboo is a beautiful "honey" colored. Obviously the restorer did a rather POOR job of keeping the logo and the original thread wraps that were in place every 1-3 inches along ALL sections of the rod for additional reinforcement.

This rod is a three-piece rod - with two tips. Finish/varnish overall is excellent, shiny, and very, very clean - see photos. Almost ?like new? condition as far as the NEW - "finish" is concerned. Again...crappy job of keeping the original Devine logo and secondary thread wraps.

The location of the old "secondary" thread wraps can be seen oh so very faintly running all along EACH sections. You cannot "feel" the locations of these old "secondary" thread wraps with your fingers - you can only faintly "see" them.

The butt section is 36.75" long. The middle section is the same length as the butt and the tip section(s) are the same except for the one tip section that is broken - at the tip - about 2-3 inches short. All sections are reasonably straight and nice - but NOT absolutely perfectly 100% straight.

The diameter/thickness of the six-sided bamboo is 11 mm - measured directly in front of the cork handle.

The fine quality ferrules and guides appear to be all tight and more than likely - original - see photos. The guides and wraps appear to match each other and are intact (except the busted end tip guide). The cork grip was lightly soiled but has been wiped/cleaned to remove some light soiling. - see photos.

The rod comes in what appears to be an original, somewhat soiled - FRED DIVINE FLY ROD - heavy old brown felt cloth storage sack. The sack fits into an unmarked aluminum rod tube that has a tiny crack in the threads that you can barely see. This tiny crack prevents the cap from being tightened down 100%.

Thanks forum members for taking the time to read my post....your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.......

Regards,

Dan
Just trying to be a joker?
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Tangiersound
Guide

Post by Tangiersound »

Dan, thank you for your informative post!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

You may hv already tallied the Fairy you restored, H1018. Looks so great, will fish this season for its second outing. First was on upper Shoshone at YNP east gate, and brookies.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Michael,
When I return home from this weeks trip, I will gather my serial numbers and send them to you.
I’ve made a number of acquisitions since the last rod you did for me and I’ll be sending some of them to you shortly.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

7'-6" Fairy, Cork reel seat, 6-strip, #R1894

9' Standard Trout, cedarwood reel seat, 6-strip, #H6245

9' Standard Trout, nickel reel seat, 8-strip, #H7024

9' Standard Trout, cedarwood reel seat, 8-strip, #H785

9'-6" Standard Trout, cedarwood reel seat, 6-strip, #H204

9' Rainbow, made for B.H. Dyas sporting goods, cedarwood reel seat, 6-strip, #H5034

9'-6" Gloriwest, Landman style spiral-lock reel seat, 6-strip, #R4529

9' Gloriwest, Landman style spiral-lock reel seat, 6-strip, #R7029

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Oops, forgot one;

9’-6” Standard Trout, cedardwood reel seat, 6-strip, #C287

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

It’s quite sobering and sad to realize that a number of the rods purchased from around 1900 to 1917, that exhibit very little use if any, may have originally belonged to U. S. Veterans who served during the 1st World War and did not return home from Europe. This is just one of the pleasures I get from collecting vintage bamboo rods and tackle from the early 20th century. It’s an honor for me to be the steward of and preserve a bamboo rod that may have belonged to someone who gave their life defending liberty and freedom.

Norman Maclean

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

I have a standard 8 footer with serial # R568. I was told the rod was refinished by you Michael.

Eric

DAK

Post by DAK »

It's been a while since a reply has been posted, but here's another Divine serial number: E248 identified by Bill Charles as a Special.

Forum post with pictures is here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=133167

reidrods
Guide

Post by reidrods »

Just one. 9'6" The Divine Rod Spiral N/S guides No serial #.
Working on restoration. Rod was mostly delaminated, but all there. Will send pictures to your e-mail.

Uniquafly, thank you for that observation and sentiment. It is indeed a sobering thought.

Willis

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”