Vintage (and modern) classic tackle catalogs and ephemera

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mainiac
Master Guide

Re: Vintage (and modern) classic tackle catalogs and ephemer

Post by Mainiac »

Here's something a little different. E.C. Powell box of flies, Brown Hackle pattern size 16. The flies are rough and have been eaten by bugs but the box insert is in nice shape. I don't know the exact vintage but assume it is circa 1940-55.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Very cool bit of Powell there - where did you find that?
Rich

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

A collection of unused labels… some tube labels, mailing labels, and even a “dead fish” label. To find most of these in an unused state is a very difficult undertaking.

W.E. Edwards Quadrate tube round label

The less commonly used W.E. Edwards small Quadrate tube label (left) & W.E. Edwards address label (right)

Gary Howells post 1975 “mayfly” tube label

Gary Howells mailing label: earlier plain version (top) and later “rod & reel” version (bottom)

Payne mailing label & Payne rod care tube label

H.W. Hawes mailing label & F.E. Thomas Rod Co. tube label

Herb Welch Taxidermy tag

R.L. Winston San Francisco Tube labels: early tan and red label (top) & later green and yellow label (bottom)

Some of these ended up with me as a result of the generosity of others who shall remain nameless here but know who they are and have my sincere thanks.

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Mainiac, very impressive! Thanks for the photos!

Gary

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Thanks Gary. I had hoped this topic would receive more interest and participation, but I will continue to try to inject life into it by posting some interesting stuff. Hopefully it will start rolling.
Last edited by Mainiac on 02/21/12 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

Here are some interesting , not to old, catalogsImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I've been accumulating Orvis ephemera and information for about 30 years. I really haven't done it with the idea of putting together a collection, I just want the knowledge. That said, the pursuit has been fun. Anyway, I thought I share some of it.

What may be the initial D.C. Corkran/Wes Jordan-era catalog. While not dated, I believe it's circa 1941:

I've currently have 64 years of the annual post-1940 catalogs. I'm missing 1951, 1953, the war years--if they were issued beyond the catalog above--and 1946 and 1947. I'd like to hear from anyone owns these or has information on them.

I own the fiscal year 1969 Orvis factory production records, which includes sales information and quite a few inter-office memos & notes. A few examples:

Rods-on-hand September 28, 1968:

Check-out the non-cataloged rods. Most are older, long, slower-selling models lanquishing in inventory. But has anybody ever heard of, or seen, a 4-foot Orvis "Shorty" fly rod? I think I need one... :)

The "mitey mite" taper:

The taper for "Perky's" Midge, which I suspect is a non-standard taper as the Midge was introduced in 1964 prior to Leigh Perkins buying Orvis:

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

Thanks Greg! Always enjoy any orvis info. The 4' Shorty may be a bait casting rod -- just a guess.

onefinslapping

Post by onefinslapping »

Though I'm not a collector (yet-though this thread may change things!) I want to thank everyone who has generously contributed to this topic (especially Mainiac for starting it). I've enjoyed looking at everyone's posts and hope this thread stays active. Love the Angler's Den info, thanks reelytrout!

Paul

Hipgnosis
Master Guide

Post by Hipgnosis »

I'm not much of a collector of this kind of "stuff" but I sure admire what you gentlemen have put together and all of the work and money that went into acquiring it. Hat tip to all of you and thanks so much for sharing your photos.

Mike

2dabacking
Master Guide

Post by 2dabacking »

Really enjoying this thread. My "collection" is mostly paper. I never really intended to start such a collection, but I can't seem to stop. Initially, I was looking to acquire information and possibly hold onto a catalog or a magazine ad that listed a rod currently in my care or on my wish list. Then, I decided it would be fun to attempt an entire run of certain catalogs or magazines to gain some perspective on rod evolution, particularly from about 1880 through the 1940s, focusing on a few makers. Now, I feel like the robot, Johnny 5, in the movie "Short Circuit" - "Need more input...input, input, inpuuuuuut." Still, I am trying to keep my focus on the early makers and a few classics.

A mix of Forest & Stream magazines and catalogs from A&F, VL&A, A&I, Wm. Mills, Folsom, and Vom Hofe

A couple of later Payne items

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

The old issues of Forest & Stream are a great heritage item. This is the front page for March 14, 1878:

This H.L. Leonard Rod Co. ad appeared in an 1880's issue of Forest and Stream:

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Northeast Airlines "fly" promotional piece, circa 1940-1944:

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I have picked up a few sporting journals and this, especially at this time of the year is my favorite. I pull it out every Spring and go back in time as though it arrived in the mail. Forest and Stream, April, 1906. Paging through one finds a long article by The Recluse. His name, Theodore Gordon, is printed at the end.ImageImageImage

Threadhead
Master Guide

Post by Threadhead »

Here is an original 1951 Payne catalog. They made an expanded version only one year. This one has 48 pages and is filled with great stories, etc. I love reading the Payne Policy. The last paragraph states, "We value the good will of every angler and hold ourselves ever ready to assist him in realizing the utmost enjoyment in his pursuit of the art of angling." Very cool!!
ImageImage

Fanwing
Master Guide

Post by Fanwing »

ImageImage

Cook's and Gateway have been posted before. Both from 1938. There is a lot more if you like, now that I've figured out how to actually scan... sort of..

HI cost more than a Granger?...
Last edited by Fanwing on 04/04/12 10:51, edited 2 times in total.

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Fanwing, nice Weber catalog. I recently acquired a mint 1938 printing which I'll cherish until someone wants it more than I do.
Also picked up a couple old Winston catalogs, some company stationery and a brown cardboard box (about 4"x 4" x 1" of silk leaders which is printed: ""Special" Dry fly Leader," Designed especially for American use, Paul H. Young.
They are "made is Spain." Any experts out there who can date these leaders? The box and the leader packets show the 8065 Grand River Ave. Address.

Whitefish Press
Owner

Post by Whitefish Press »

This may just be my favorite thread so far this year. Great, great job...and interestingly enough I just finished the first of a six-part series in the NFLCC Magazine on fishing and tackle ephemera. It is on letterhead...

A great collection (and one hard to put together) would be to find letterhead from each of the major rodmakers, and then find one for every trade rod in your collection. Here's an example:

-- Dr. Todd

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

That letterhead is one of my favorites, Dr. Todd. Many of the great 19th century rodmakers went through that company at one time or another, and they employed some of the better tackle people as well. Quite an icon.
The opportunity of the century was missed when all the Hall paper was dispersed. Perhaps one day the story of that find will be published, if someone can figure out how to do it without embarrassing anyone.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Jeff, I have a 1922 letter from Hall Rod Works to Orvis. Is this the "Hall" you're talking about. It has been sitting in my collection for a while and I don't know anything about them. The letter is really nothing special, I don't even think it is signed by a real person.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”