Union Hardware

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Union Hardware

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I just picked up three South Bend rods and a Union Hardware that looks very similar to the South Bends. Any idea who actually made rods for the Union Hardware company?

Thanks--Barry

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Union Hardware

Post by oldschoolcane »

Usually Montague.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

According to Rex (and several earlier threads here), Union Hardware produced their own rods, as well as supplying the trade with endless models having components quite similar to Montague's. It's becoming apparent they were a much bigger "player" than anyone realized. Many rods that were identified as Montague in the past are now attributed to Union Hardware. It's now known that they even supplied the Shakespeare Co. with at least one model in the 1930's. I have no idea if they ever had a relationship with South Bend. Mark

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

An indepth study of Union Hardware is long overdue. Everything I've come across in a couple hours of looking showed that Union Hardware was predominantly a tool manufacturer for many years. Which of you CT guys has looked into it?

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Yeah, I know. For 15 years, I thought the only rods they produced were steel. When a company has flown under the radar for as long as they apparently did, it's tough to unearth any info 60-70 years later. Even their catalogs are elusive, with the only ones I've seen being post-war. Mark

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I confess that every time I go fishing on either the Housatonic or the Farmington rivers I pass through Torrington. But I have never visited its historical society. In lieu of that I’ll offer the following.
In 1939 Raymond Camp, an author whose name may be familiar to some of you published, All Seasons Afield with Rod and Gun.
In the text he discussed two “new” developments in rods that he felt might “revolutionize rod making,” although he also wrote that neither idea was “really new.” One was the parabolic and the other I will quote:
“One, a rod made in five sections or strips, rather than the conventional six, is being introduced by my good friend Raymond Hoerle, who has designed many fine mass-production rods for the Union Hardware Company. He sent me one of these rods for test, but as it was not completely finished it would be unfair to make any statement at this time. The rod has definite possibilities for dry fly fishing, as it displays extraordinary backbone without increased weight. A new synthetic glue is being used in joining the sections, and this glue is without doubt superior to the old product.”
In March, 1941 Camp, outdoor writer for the New York Times, wrote that while fishing the Shepaug he stopped the Union plant to see Bill Hoerle who showed him split bamboo squidding rods and copies of Jack Knight’s parabolic rod he was working on. Not quite the same as the Knight rod, but Bill Hoerle told Camp he was working on the calibration of the tip.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

I've done a little research on Union Hardware. By accident, I have a sizable collection of their rods. It all started with this pile of mystery rods in the corner of my hobby room with similar qualities that I could never match up to any marked Monty rods. In particular, the hardware was slightly different, as was the trade name labeling. After finding a few marked Union Hardware rods that matched some of mine, I began digging a little deeper (I tend to obsess about things that I can't figure out). In the past year, I corresponded with one gentleman that lives near Torrington, CT that says the had a conversation with someone that actually worked in the Union Hardware rod shop. The former Union Hardware employee spoke about splitting cane, and installing hardware that they had made there in the plant. I have no reason to doubt this story, and it fits nicely with the theory I've been mulling over for the past couple of years.

Based on what I've uncovered so far, I believe Union Hardware built a lot of rods from start to finish, including splitting their own cane, making their own hardware, and performing all of the finish work. Based on some of the earliest Union marked rods I've seen, I'd guess they were making rods as early as the 1920's, and maybe earlier. I believe their sales and marketing model was similar to Montague's, where most of their rods were sold wholesale, or as trade rods. Based on the number of these rods I see on eBay, and showing up on this Forum, I'd guess they were giving Montague and H-I a run for their money in the high volume trade rod business for decades.

Another story that needs to be told...

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Well I am familar with the Union tools, but I am still not convinced they actually built rods. If they did, the rods certainly do look very similar to Monty's. Of course they did make reels, so who knows?

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Thanks for the info. Rod appears unused, but kept in moist area and guides have rusted--so needs a rewrap. Cane and Cork look great. I hate to go to the expense of a rewrap unless it is worth it. Rod is a 9', 3/2 and no markings on the shaft. It is marked Union Hardware on the reelseat.

Whats the story on castability. Is it worth the expense?

Thanks--Barry

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Sure, it's worth re-wrapping. Then, you can let us know yourself about the castability. Post some photos, too, if you can. Mark

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Here's the bamboo listings from Union Hardware's 1951 catalog. If they were making them after the war, it's not that big of stretch to think they were producing them all along.
It's hard to read, but under the Union Split Bamboo Fishing Rod heading it says "Making a fine split bamboo rod requires expert craftmanship and top quality cane. Union hardware is one of the country's oldest manufacturer of fishing rods and has built up its skill over the years. The combination of Union Hardware craftmanship and selected, well seasoned Tonkin cane makes these rods unbeatable values".
Sure sounds to me like they were building them. Mark
Last edited by wrong66 on 05/04/12 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

kwhauck
Sport

Post by kwhauck »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:Thanks for the info. Rod appears unused, but kept in moist area and guides have rusted--so needs a rewrap. Cane and Cork look great. I hate to go to the expense of a rewrap unless it is worth it. Rod is a 9', 3/2 and no markings on the shaft. It is marked Union Hardware on the reelseat.

Whats the story on castability. Is it worth the expense?

Thanks--Barry
How bad are the guides? Maybe use some emery cloth to smooth them. Or perhaps a better question is, do you have a "used up" 6W line? (I have a driveway rod rigged with the first fly line I got so I don't hurt my good lines.) You can see what the castability is by putting a line on the rod and trying it. You will have to try a few lines to know which you like best but you'll know whether to rewrap or not.
Yr. Obt. Svt.

Kurt Hauck

poco

Post by poco »

Heddon made rods for Union Hardware according to Mike Sinclairs's book.
I think I have one I just sent it out for verification and an appraisal.
Phil

joners
Master Guide

Post by joners »

To add another twist to this thread and the history...Inside of the tube of a rod that I purchased, I found another rod bag. It is two section, clear, made of some kind of plastic which has a tag that states:

(NYGLAX, UNION HARDWARE COMPANY, FISHING ROD, TORRINGTON, CONNECTCUT, MADE IN USA), and then at the bottom of the tag it has a number A3207.

I suspect that it was a rod bag for a model of a fiberglass bait rod. The two section bag measures approximately 42 inches, making the rod a 7 foot model.

Cap'n Bob :hat

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

joners,
The #A3207 was actually a two-piece 7 ft. fiberglass fly rod. Union Hardware also offered five different glass (Nyglax) fly rods in the same 1951 catalog. Mark

joners
Master Guide

Post by joners »

wrong66 wrote:joners,
The #A3207 was actually a two-piece 7 ft. fiberglass fly rod. Union Hardware also offered five different glass (Nyglax) fly rods in the same 1951 catalog. Mark
Thanks Mark!
Which begs the question...Does anyone need a rod bag to fit this model?

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

All

Slowly but surely the veil of ignorance is being lifted from my eyes. A few things are falling into place for me now. Several years back I bought a handful of rods that included an unmarked rod of good quality (also that 8-strip Montague, Rex). I couldn't place it and figured it must have been an H-I from some obscure period, but looking back at Rex's posts on UH it appears that's what it probably was. It had handwelted ferrules and was brown toned.

Barry
From the catalog it looks like their better rods took 10 guides and the lower priced ones had 7. Which end of the lineup is yours?
If you email a couple of photos I'll post them here for you. jeffkn1@yahoo. com

Charlie

I noticed Bill Hoerle's name on one of UH's patents, also.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I have new camera and trying to figure out how to use it. Havn't even sent email pics since using old floppy disc camera about 7 years ago and hope to have this new one figured out shortly.

Barry

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

For an example of what I believe to be one of UH's higher end trade rods, take a look at this old thread -
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39022&p=203922&hil ... lt#p203922

It's a nice looking Wards Sturdibuilt. The reel seat appears to be their typical sliding band style, and the signature wraps very closely resemble those used on high end Montys.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

NCchris

Post by NCchris »

I found your website while looking for info on how to make a bamboo fishing pole.(just cut some growing in the yard) and the posts about Union Hardware caught my attention. My father gave me his old Nyglax pole.
He and my mother lived in Torrington, CT for over 40 years. They are 88 and 86 years old. They tell me that Union Hardware made sporting equipment- fishing poles, golf shafts, roller and ice skates. They were a big company located on Migion Avenue. The company was purchased by Brunswick Sporting Goods Co maybe in the late 1960"s. Brunswick closed the Torrington plant and moved the operation elsewhere. My mom tells me over 300 or so people worked there. It was a large complex, with many seperate one floor buildings. My uncle's father was employed there. Hope this answers some of your questions. Chris

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”