Alan Noland Rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Angler30
Guide

Alan Noland Rods

Post by Angler30 »

I recently bought a rod by a builder named Alan Noland. I would like to know more about him and other rods he has built. Thanks.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Alan Noland Rods

Post by Hellmtflies »

I believe Alan was living in Maryland or Virginia. As far as I know he stopped making rods about ten years ago. The last time I had seen him was at the Somerset Show in N.J. about fifteen years or so ago. His rods do surface now and again. They were very fishable as I recall but I cannot speak for the collectable aspect of his work.
Mark

PA Limestoner
Guide

Post by PA Limestoner »

Alan is from the western Maryland area, near the Savage and Potomac(north branch) rivers. He received some guidance from Bob Lancaster in his early years of rod making, and his rods tend to be based on Paul Young tapers. His rods were well made but not very ornate. Don't think there will be much collector value as there are so many guys out there building fine rods. Alan does build a fine fishing rod that casts well.

Angler30
Guide

Post by Angler30 »

I appreciate the information provided. The rod I recently purchased was his presentation rod, and it is quite elegant.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Angler 30,
Can you provide us with a photo or two. We would appreciate that. Thanx in advance if you can. I remember his work being quite nice but it's been some time since I've seen one.
Mark

Angler30
Guide

Post by Angler30 »

I have tried to post photos but have not been successful. :(

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

While I was on the Savage a few years ago, I heard that he had quit building rods and was concentrating on motorcycles.

Angler30
Guide

Post by Angler30 »

This was the first rod I have seen by him and was introduced to his work by Carmine Lisella. This rod is certainly gorgeous, and lawn casting it, performs as well as it looks. It is curious that some of the builders I have met have an interest in motorcycles? ???

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

I spoke briefly with Alan during fly fishing expos in 2000 and 2003. His rods looked well made and similar in character to Bob Lancaster's.

A few scans from his 2000 catalog:

Angler30
Guide

Post by Angler30 »

Greg,
Thanks for the scans. I was hoping to get this kind of information. I can certainly appreciate all the details and special touches that went into this rod.
Louis :)

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”