Joe Bradley rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

czkid
Administrator

Re: Joe Bradley rods

Post by czkid »

Sorry Gentlemen, but my stance has not been modified re. the utilization of Young's identification of his specific rods. That for some, the modification of Paul's tapers to something different while still utilizing the same name is a dis-service to Paul Young and the consuming public, IMHO. Yes, Paul varied his tapers over the years, and his tendency to do so is still a joking matter amongst PHY folks. Consistency was never one of Paul's fortes. But, there was always that underlying PHY "feel". Too many times I've cast rods purporting to be a PHY "clone" or "copy" using the names he assigned to the rod they are claiming to have copied... and had them feel nowhere near anything "Paul Young".

Paul's naming of his rods was in no way "generic" IMHO, and when someone says, Para 15, Perfectionist, etc. folks generally first think Paul H Young. If you want to think the differences are an "improvement" over the originals, that's fine... but just call them something else.... please.

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays as you wish... but have a great time!!!

Ralph

bhuz
Sport

Post by bhuz »

Norcal,

Thanks for all of your advice in my quest for this rod. I only have a few 7 weight lines, none of which seem right for my new rod. I am looking for a "heavier" 7 weight line, as you've suggested. Thanks also for the advice on having some spar varnish on hand.

Happy Holidays!

Tom

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

bhuz wrote:Norcal,
Thanks also for the advice on having some spar varnish on hand.
Happy Holidays!
Tom

Tom, I'll bet it's an awesome rod, similar to that extended 8'3 version Joe made this winter I would imagine. I think you misread my post - do not use spar varnish on your Bradley rod, get some TruOil. Joe doesn't varnish his rods, he hand rubs them with TruOil. Spar will ruin the finish if placed on top. TruOil is what you want to maintain them with. Ask Joe how to do it, it takes very little. Report back on what line works best.

Ralph, PM sent

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

My Joe Bradley 8' Para 14 arrived today. Joe has stretched his usual 7'9" rod to 8". I wish the weather was conducive to putting a line on it. The ferrules have a great fit and the finish is beautiful! If I new how to post photos, I would put some pics on.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

next weekend, Fri/Sat/Sun, the national Fly Fishing Show is returning to Pleasanton, CA. Joe B has a booth this event and a later one up in Oregon, otherwise the only place to try his rods is Idaho on the Henry's Fork.

Those of you who ever wanted to try one of Joe's rods in perfect anonymity at the casting ponds can do so. And as well, Robert Bolt will be there, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, Dave Dozer and several others. Jim Adams of Adams Angling has lots of vintage bamboo rods as well. The seminars and fly tying exhibits are also excellent. I did a quick post about the show here

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

I own three of Joe’s rods. They are beautiful and are great casting/fishing rods. And buying a rod from Joe is a great experience.

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

I've probably got about 10 of Joe's rods, he kids me that I'm his west coast sales rep. I've become good friends with Joe and his wife Diane. Wonderful people!

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Updating my last Joe Bradley thread, I now own 13 of Joe's rods...I"m so weak. I picked up three of his progressive taper rods this past weekend at the Pleasanton Fly Show...flippin' fly shows. I picked up a 7'9" 5wt, a 7'9'' 4wt that is amazing, and a 8' 4wt. All three cast wonderfully and each has a different feel. Now if California just had water.

Norcal1 he has a special rod just waiting for you!

Best wishes, Ken

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Nearly all the comments are about Joe's parabolics. I'm interested in the 8-ft 4-weight. Who might offer comment?

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

I have his 7'6" Para 13, 4 weight which is a great rod. It has plenty of power and also works well in a small stream context with short casts. Love it.

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Hi, I have Joe’s progressive taper 8’ 4wt. It’s a smooth casting and light in the hand rod. While the 4wt is a light rod it’s definitely got enough juice to handle decent fish.
Ned Z is right about the Para 13 7’6" 4wt. One of Joe’s best. I’ve had one for about 2 1/2 years.

Good luck! Ken

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

Joe asked me to post a quick update since he isn't a forum member.

He moved his permanent home from near Sacramento, CA to the Henry's Fork in Idaho and is having his shop building built there now.

He's hoping to get it completed in time before the snow comes. He's also having a back operation (discs) this winter which will keep him from making rods for a time as he recovers.

He won't be making his small lot of new rods until Spring at this point (usually he's fast at work in Fall). Anybody thinking of adding a rod will have to wait a few months longer. I think the usual amount of rods is 15 or less. Those that want a rod might want to drop him an email and get on the list to secure a spot

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Good luck to him!! He may find the winters just a bit different in Idaho...

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I've not cast any of Joe's rods. But he's obviously a very popular builder. Obviously he's a master of tapers. And I find his using the term "parabolic" spot on, as he's using the principal concept particular to those tapers. Parabolic is a concept, not a stone tablet sent from on high.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”