Is this the scarcest Sharpes fly rod?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Whiteadder
Guide

Is this the scarcest Sharpes fly rod?

Post by Whiteadder »

I know UK made rods are not the main thing here, but I just wanted to share my latest acquisition with you all.

This arrived last week, having been bought online (you know where).

It's a Sharpes Seventy Nine, one of three rods Sharpes of Aberdeen made in their staggered ferrule series, derived from Charles Ritz's Fario Parabolic rods. There were three rods in the series, some of you may be familiar with the Eighty Eight at 8' 8'' and the Eighty Three at 8' 3''.

This model is the Seventy Nine at 7' 9'', the baby of the pack, introduced in Farlow's 1970 catalogue.

I picked up this catalogue some time ago and the Seventy Nine caught my eye then, so when one was listed online I was really interested. We have at least three major auction houses here in the UK that handle vintage tackle auctions. Normally a web search for an item will bring up back-catalogue entries from these sales as well as Forum comments and those annoying sites that just echo what's been listed online. For this rod, nothing. No archive, no back catalogue listing, nowt, although there are plenty entries to be found for the Eighty Eight and the Eighty Three, suggesting no example of this model has been sold in the recent past. Of course I had to have it....

Plus points in addition to its possible rarity are that the ferrules both have the same index number - 71, so it is as originally supplied there, no replacement top, all inscriptions are correct and the rod is dated January '73. Downside is that it has been re-wrapped at some point, the bag is not original and the custom ferrule stop that would have brought both sections to the same length is missing, but am I unhappy? Can't wait to get it to my local River Avon!!

:pipe
Please visit Whiteadder's Virtual Fly Fishing Museum
All welcome!!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is this the scarcest Sharpes fly rod?

Post by rsagebrush »

Congrats on your new acquisition. A very interesting rod.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

The Sharpes Model 79 was discussed on the Forum in this thread, with many positive comments.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

Thank you both, - :)

I'm now feeling even more pleased with myself!!

I'm surprised that thread didn't come up in my search as I often find this threads on this forum when looking for information.
All welcome!!

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Great find, never seen one myself and I have looked for a few years or more.............
Wonder how this rates for rarity compared with that other Sharpes rod the "Wilson International" of which I have handled two and seen one other advertised on "the bay "?

Ed Pirie
Guide

Post by Ed Pirie »

Hi Whiteadder (gee, I wish you had a different name - I hate snakes!)

Anyway, from the earlier thread that Quashnet referenced, you can see I have a Sharpes Scottie "79" in 2/2. I also have the original rod bag, although one of the ties is quite frayed. The rod bag has the Sharpes lable and it is for a rod with two tips as mine is configured. I do not have a ferrule plug and always wondered if it came with one originally. I also have a Scottie Featherweight in the 7'6" and this came with a nice ferrule plug and witness marks on the ferrules to boot.

I enjoy the "79" and fish it often here in Vermont. It is well suited to our smaller streams and rivers, maybe similar to the waters you intend to use yours on. Someone showed me how to break the code on the end cap and determine the date of manufacture. Mine was made in July of 1970 and was the 146th rod manufactured that month.

Thank you for the catalogue copy. I have never seen that before and am glad to add this information to my slim documentation I have for the Sharpes rods.

Ed Pirie (a fellow Scot with family ties to Peterhead)
West Topsham, Vermont

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

You lucked out. I was very keen on this particular rod. Have always thought the Scotties to be nice fishers. But, I had just recently purchased a 6' Farlow Norm Thompson Lee Wulff Midge and didn't want to risk domestic wrath ; )

Looks like a neat rod.

Cane

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

Hi Ed

Not strictly a snake, so you can relax. The Whiteadder (pronounced locally "Wittadder") is a northern tributary of the Tweed and is where I caught my first brownie as a teenager. It has always been special to me.

I too am fond of Sharpes rods, I have the Featherweight in a 7' 6'', a "Scottie" at 9' and a Fario 85, complete with its pencil-like ferrule plug. Sadly the Fario has a very old repair wrap in the top section and is a fraction short where it's been scarfed sometime in its past. Still fishable though and it occasionally makes the trip to Orkney with me.

When I get time, I'll can the catalogue and post it in the manufacturers section. I also have a chart of Sharpes date codes that I'll upload too. Might be the weekend before I get to it now.

Thanks Cane, I too am on a short leash for the immediate future, so am forced to ignore a recently listed Eighty Three. I did promise Mrs. Whiteadder that I'd stop when the rod racks were full anyway!

Andy
All welcome!!

beach caster
Guide

Post by beach caster »

Hi Andy,
I also have a fondness for Sharps rods. I consider them under valued UK blue collar rods. My line up so far is two Featherweights in 7' 2/2 and 8'6" 2/1 two 9' Scottie's 2/1 six and seven weights two "88" why two? one was poorly re wrapped when I got it so I recently found an original on this forum. Also my favourite of the group the "83". I think I saw the rod you won, and was confused by it. I did not no they made a "79", wow I will be on the look out. I assume it will be closer to a five weight than a six. ;)
Dave >~)>

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Nice rod. I have a couple of other scarce Sharpes: the 10' 2" 3 piece 7 weight Sea Trout Special and the staggered ferrule 2 piece 5/6 weight Royal Tribute, of which only 100 were built in 1981. At 8' 7" (the designed and stated length, not damage) this might also have been called The 87. That didn't come with the extended ferrule plug that staggered rods usually have either - but I suspect it had been supplied with one that was later lost by a previous owner . An appeal to the members of this forum resulted in immediate kind offers of suitable off-cuts of built cane from which I could create a replacement.

I'd recently hoped to add the UK version of The Midge and was just teeing up my on-line bid for one with 2 tips when the power went out and the internet connection with it. Guess it wasn't meant to be.
Last edited by Mahseer on 08/27/13 03:57, edited 2 times in total.

Denniske1976
Sport

Post by Denniske1976 »

That's really cool! I saw that one where you got it from but didn't bid... Sharpe's rods are indeed undervalued IMHO, I had some but now I only have my 7"5' FeatherWeight left and my Fario 85 (paired with a bronze/gold L.R.H. LighWeight reel). Unfortunately I've snapped my FeatherWeight about 3 weeks ago right above the top ferrule so I have to get it repaired.

I know someone in the UK that owns a FeatherWeight 7" #4, that's not in any of the catalogues that I know of (they're all #5 and up).

But that is indeed a great find you have there, you'll anjoy fishing that rod, I'm sure of it! :-) Makes me wanna fish my Fario next weekend (but that's a bit overkill for trout here in Holland, I use #3 rods normally for that).
Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening - Kevin Flynn

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

An oldtimer 92 years of age - very kindly gave me a rod from his wall I have been looking at many times I visited him. It's a Sharpes impregnated 6½' 1 hand 3 pcs #6 "Lee Wulff Vagabond" (Made for Farlow in London) in great condition. With it came an old CFO III (first model) - haven't had the change to fish it yet - but tried it in the garden with WF5 - and it behaved beautifully.

Sharpes also made a range of spliced impregnated 2 hand rods - which is highly valued around the Scandinavia Sea Trout streams. Also their Scottie rods were/are very popular rods.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

I've got what appears to all intents and purposes as an ultra-light Sharpes at approx. 88 inches overall. Has staggered ferrules with approx a 4 inch extender. Rod has been "refinished" at some point so it has no markings, and was apparently marketed here in the US as it has 2 tips.

Amazing the variations and deviations on some of these rods.

Ralph

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

Hi Ralph

Is there a date code stamped into the butt cap or reel seat? That at least is likely to have survived any refinishing.

Regards

Andy
All welcome!!

pontiac787
Guide

Post by pontiac787 »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of having two different length pieces with an extender?

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Andy;

Cork reel seat, and nothing on the butt cap.... nothing on the knurled ring reel retainer either.....

Thanks, Ralph

Big Sky Dave
Guide

Post by Big Sky Dave »

Whiteadder, like many here I would love to have you post your catalog and date code.

My last name is Sharpe. My grandmother was Scottish. So of course I'm trying to acquire as many examples of Sharpe's work as I can. To date my collection includes: 7' 3,4wt; 7' 4,5wt (took 38 browns and rainbows one day on Idaho's Silver Creek last week); Dermot Wison International 8'3" 5,6; Fario Club 8'5" 5,6wt; and a varnished 8'6" Featherweight; plus two Scottie reels and a couple Gordons. Try to fish them all.

Does anyone know if the "International" differs from Sharpe's 8' 3"?
Last edited by Big Sky Dave on 07/13/13 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Supposedly a very different rod..........

Ralph

Whiteadder
Guide

Post by Whiteadder »

Have posted the Farlow's catalogue pages in the "Information About Makers and Manufacturers" forum. I'll post the date codes chart as soon as I can figure out how to turn it from a spreadsheet into something I CAN post!!

Andy
All welcome!!

unclehardy
Guide

Post by unclehardy »

Sharpe's Eight-three is my 'powerstick' - fishing with an old Perfect and
a chinese #6 silk line - which means a light 6 line -- it is - perfect !!

Never saw any note about yours 7,9 ft - i should be amazing with line 5

I spent a few years with different lines - to find the right one -but now
i found the best #5+#6 weights - and the Scottie 8,3 is a real fine buddy.

unclehardy

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”