Don Schroeder

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bob2935
Master Guide

Don Schroeder

Post by bob2935 »

Just picked up a new 8’3” Don Schroeder three-piece five-weight rod. Still cannot believe the price point on Don’s work as his rods have always been cosmetically perfect and the tapers work so well. I see no difference between Don’s work and the rods in the 4,000.00 to 5,000.00 range except Don’s workmanship is more consistent and flaw free than some of those grand phobas. This particular taper is fun as it is a true five weight and a six works the rod too deep. Great combination between as strong butt and mid yet has fine tips. The pics include a couple of typical Spring Creek browns from Caledonia NY. The nice thing about this rod is that it did not pop off any browns today with 8x yet it will likely be on the Delaware in a few weeks throwing long lines and bigger dries. Really feel that Don’s work is one of the best buys in cane and he is so easy to do business with. This rod is my fourth Schroeder. Any suggestions on other tapers. Currently own his 7’9” five, 8’6” 5/6 and his 8’ four. Thanks Bohemian Bob at bohemianflyfish@aol.com

ImageImage

SideChannel
Master Guide

Re: Don Schroeder

Post by SideChannel »

That really is a pretty rod Bob! Thanks for sharing.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Bob,

I could not agree more. I have two of his rods, an 8' four weight quad and an 8'6" 3/2 five weight hex. Both see a lot of action.

Don is overlooked when the masters of the craft are mentioned but he is certainly there with the best of them. A top notch builder and a fine man.
Last edited by PYochim on 10/03/13 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

jlk
Guide

Post by jlk »

Just beautiful, and I couldn't agree more. I have his 3/2 7'9" 4 wt quad and a 7'1" 2/2 3 wt hex.

cwood
Master Guide

Post by cwood »

Wow!

jlk
Guide

Post by jlk »

I meant to mention also that that aluminum uplocking reel seat is a thing of beauty. He machines it from scratch and you can't see the detail in the photo. I used to have his 7'9" 5 wt quad with that seat, which I traded to James Reams when I got Don's 7'9" 4 wt quad, which is better suited for the streams I fish. Jim loves the rod too. I believe that Rick at Westslope will be having Don build some rods for him, but I haven't heard any more about that.

Southbranch
Master Guide

Post by Southbranch »

jlk wrote:Just beautiful, and I couldn't agree more. I have his 3/2 7'9" 4 wt quad and a 7'1" 2/2 3 wt hex.
jlk, In addition to a 7'6" 2/2 4wt quad and a 7'9" 2/2 5 wt quad, I also have one of Don's 7'1" 2/2 3wt hex rods. It is a great rod, but I like it even better with a WF4 line than DT3. I think he made mine as a show demo rod - unique length, pre-embargo cane, special cosmetics, etc. When I bought it, Don had not yet made any others like it. ImageImage

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

Beauties!

paxlev
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by paxlev »

I agree. His rods are wonderful. And he is a gentleman as well. Ric

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Gentlemen
FWIW, Bill McRoy has a one of a kind Schroeder 8' 4 piece 2 tip 5wt for sale on his new list.
Saw this rod when it was new, and it's a beauty.
Contact Bill at 734 475 5948 or wwmcroy@aol.com
Again, no personal interest here, just a public service to other folks who appreciate fine bamboo rods, and Don's creations certainly exemplify that description.
gofish

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

gofish60 wrote:Gentlemen
FWIW, Bill McRoy has a one of a kind Schroeder 8' 4 piece 2 tip 5wt for sale on his new list.
That sounds like a rare bird. I have an 8' 4 weight quad with a hollowed butt and solid tip from Don. I don't know if he made this as a prototype or on a whim but I have not read or seen another one. All of the quads of his that I have seen are either 7'6" or 7'9".

Duff
Guide

Post by Duff »

Jlt, I absolutely agree. Don's in-house reel seat is a work of art.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

His uplocks are the best. They have that nice Gillum look.

Bohemian "biker" bob

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Duff wrote:Jlt, I absolutely agree. Don's in-house reel seat is a work of art.
Duff, I can't help but notice, you have a knack for takin' some REALLY NICE pics...!!!

Jeremy.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

As stated I own the 8'3" three piece five, eight and a half foot two piece 5/6, eight foot two piece four and his seven nine two piece five. All are great but looking to order another Schroeder. Really not a three weight fan in cane and have owned his 7'6" three piece for a four which of coarse was great. Any suggestions for a rod in the 4,5 weight line category. Have not owned his eight foot for a five. Any feedback on that?

Thanks Bob

cutthroattroutnm
Master Guide

Post by cutthroattroutnm »

bob2935 wrote:As stated I own the 8'3" three piece five, eight and a half foot two piece 5/6, eight foot two piece four and his seven nine two piece five. All are great but looking to order another Schroeder. Really not a three weight fan in cane and have owned his 7'6" three piece for a four which of coarse was great. Any suggestions for a rod in the 4,5 weight line category. Have not owned his eight foot for a five. Any feedback on that?

Thanks Bob
How about the 8', 5 wt., 3 pc. quad with full intermediates? It did okay on this Colorado cutthroat.

jlk
Guide

Post by jlk »

I have his 7'9" 3 piece 4 wt quad and love it. He's very proud of it and wishes he had hit on it years ago.

eaorlando

Post by eaorlando »

Wow! After reading this thread, I'm really glad I asked Don to build me an eight-foot quad for 5/6 lines! When I spoke with him a few weeks ago about it, I mentioned that it was my intention to ask him to build me a seven and one-half foot hex for 4/5 lines if I liked what I see in the current order.

Better start working on the funds for that second rod!

jlk
Guide

Post by jlk »

Southbranch--now that spring is here (?) I got around to trying a WF4 on Don's 7'1" rod rated for a 3wt. You're right--it's great with a DT3 but even better with a WF4.

madelinesdad

Post by madelinesdad »

Beautiful rods! Is the 7'9" 4 wt quad a three piece?

Does anyone have Don's contact info?

thanks

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”