What model Phillipson? (Pics added)

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

What model Phillipson? (Pics added)

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I just picked up a Hank Roberts rod that is obviously a Phillipson. I'll post pics in next day or two to help with ID if necessary. In addition to Hank Roberts, the rod also says impregnated, 8'--4 1/4--line #5.

The rod is a 3/2, bag looks original and not sure of what rod tube should come with a Roberts rod, but this is bright aluminum with a green plastic cap.

Does anyone know if correct tube for a Roberts?

I would have to rate at about EX+++ and would guess been at least yard cast.

Any information on these Roberts rods appreciated.

Sorry about pics, they make ferrules look dull when their actually bright silver.

Thanks--Barry

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 04/01/14 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What model Phillipson?

Post by Webfly »

Hey Barry, you beat me by $10 on that rod. I would say that it is a very uncommon Phillipson trade rod for Hank Roberts-closer to the impregnated Peerless than any of the other models. Hank Roberts had a retail catalog that sold flies, gear, etc. and was known for putting his name on them. The Waltons Thumb multi tool was one that has been talked about on this forum and has a small cult following. You got it for a good price, considering that an 8' Peerless in that condition can get up to 7-800 in value.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What model Phillipson? (Pics added)

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I just acquired a single tip version of this Peerless trade rod. The cane is in great shape with the exception of a single hook divit, which just so happens to line up with a guide that needs replacing - in fact, the mid doesn't have any guides. I taped some guides on this and cast it on the lawn with a DT4 and it may just be my new favorite 8' rod, which include an GS8040, a Heddon 1 1/2F 3-piece, an Orvis 4 1/2 oz 3/2 and Orvis 4 1/8 oz 2/1 Madison.

Here is a sneak peak at what is worth looking at at this time. Stay tuned...

Tight lines,
Joe

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”