Leonard Fairy Catskill Resurrection (picture heavy)

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Leonard Fairy Catskill Resurrection (picture heavy)

Post by canerodscom »

A few years ago at the Grayling rod makers gathering a respected authority on all things bamboo left this little rod in my hands. This was more than a restoration, thus the "resurrection" terminology. This was originally a seven foot, two piece rod. When I received it the single tip was full length, but the butt section was short several inches at the ferrule. The butt cap was present, but the sliding band and cork check were missing. The female ferrule was with the rod, but damaged beyond use. The original male ferrules were nowhere to be found. I was assured by the most recent owner that the remaining wraps were original. Research showed several other Fairy Catskill rods with original deep red translucent wraps. The original guides are the smallest snakes I have ever seen. A former Leonard employee sent me the smallest original Leonard guides he had, and they were as large as the largest on this rod! Dave LeClair (RIP) made some copies of the tiny original snake guides, but even they required considerable tweaking to work correctly.

Projects like this one require intense study and some measure of creativity. I could find no good photographic examples of the original slide band, so I made a scaled down version of the slide band on a Leonard Model 50 1/2DF I own. The replacement ferrules are exact copies of truncated size 9 Leonard ferrules, minus any patent markings. The tiny hook keeper was fabricated new from nickel silver tubing and sheet stock. The new second tip is an exact copy, but inked "HBoyd" to prevent anyone from thinking it is original. The butt section is scarfed to full length and protected with an invisible wrap.

The rod has been gently cast since its "resurrection". It throws a WF1F well, though a few folks thought it might handle a two weight. Restored, this little beauty weighs 1.8 ounces.

Any suggestions as to what I should ask for this rod? The bag and tube will be replacements.

Thanks for looking,
Harry

The ghost from the missing cork check is clearly visible.

Having the male ferrule station intact helped determine how to size the new ferrules.

Can you tell how tiny that snake guide is?

Original female ferrule, minus tabs.

Replacement ferrules with a quarter for scale, before thinning the tabs, installing, and pinning.

A view of the 1/0 snake used as a stripping guide and the wrap over the scarfed butt section.

Original restored butt and tip, and the replacement second tip.

Replaced hook keeper. Interesting that there were no signature wraps on the originals.

The final product.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard Fairy Catskill Resurrection (picture heavy)

Post by fisherman911 »

Very nice work. These are my favorite posts, I just love seeing great old rods brought back from the dead.

pmcroberts
Master Guide

Post by pmcroberts »

Nice work Harry!!!

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks __911 and Paul.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

VERY nice "resurrection," Harry! These threads bring smiles to many of our faces

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rupert

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Beautiful work Harry and I am saddened to learn of Dave's passing. You referred me to him on some ferrule work that he did for me very reasonably and quicker than quick. Very nice guy to deal with as well. I am sorry.

Jim

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Rupert and Jim.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

Nice work Harry.

Jerry

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Nice Harry. My old pal George restored one of these too, and 'twas amazing to cast with a 1-wt. He took a brownie on the whispy thing on Mammoth Creek, E. Sierra. Everyone should someday get the chance to examine and wiggle one of these amazing rods. Am glad you brought it back to the living.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Jerry and Darrell

HB

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Nice work, Harry.
Lang's sold one for a high bid of $1200 in '11. That example was full length and had both tips, presumably original manufacture. An auction local to me sold an original single tip example, the tip being down 10-12", for a high bid of $600 about 7 years back. Crossroads Auction sold a single tip #37 (2pc 6') last month for a modest $500, the rod having a click in the ferrule, and no other issues. Add 20% on average to each of those figures.
So, maybe somewhere in the $700-1000 range for yours?

Hollifield

Post by Hollifield »

Had a chance to see and cast this rod at the CCG last weekend. It was quite a treat and as always Harry's workmanship is outstanding.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Howard Thurman

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

A labor of love and not necessary one that is justified in the final retail value. Always great to see an old beater put right and made ready for a new day on a stream. Too bad Dave didn't get to see the final results.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Jeff, John, and OldCane. Yes, this was not done solely for money. As I said to someone else, it just needed doing.

Harry

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Harry,
Nice job! I am sure the one who put this in your hands would be proud of the work.
Very satisfying to bring something back.
Scott

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Beautiful work Harry. I would love to cast it! Hint.

Dean D
Master Guide

Post by Dean D »

Oh, my! I can't even imagine working on a rod with such fine features. Beautiful work, Harry.
"I used to be clueless, but I've turned that situation around 360 degrees."

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Scott, Gene, moonshine3, and Dean. Working on these old rods is always enjoyable for me.

Harry

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Harry- I'd have gone cross eyed restoring such a delicate rod! Beautifully done....now I'm really mad I missed CCG because I sure would have loved to cast it!

Munsey

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Munsey.

Sorry to have missed you last week. This would be a cool rod in those tiny little places you like to fish.

Harry

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”