South Bend nomenclature?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

CreationBear
Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by CreationBear »

I think I understand the difference between the 2-digit "bass" models and the 3-digit "trout" models, but for the latter, does the first digit convey any information I might need to know , e.g. era, build quality, weight/length? I'd also be curious if, over the years, there have been any SB rods you consider "standouts" on the order of the 290.

Any info appreciated, though I must warn you that judging from my similar attempts to sort through the Payne models, I might be what y'all would call a slow learner. Perhaps the doublebuilt/single built lesson should wait! !-- :lol -->

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by fishnbanjo »

mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7.../id18.html

Single built is the rod was built using 6 strips of bamboo, Double built means an additional 6 strips were glued onto the single built rod, they aren't 60 degree strips like the primary strips are.

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by tedgolden »

The model number system does not lead it's self to rational translation. However, as a rule, three hundred numbers ie., 359 are dry fly action. Usually, but not always, one hundred digit numbers (159) are wet or trout actioned rods. At least from post war production.

A 1933 reference indcates all <South Bend[/i] fly rods have two digits except one model. And Cross is a whole 'nother ballgame.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by bulldog1935 »

Stand out? 8-1/2' 323 is a delightful 5-wt. nymphing and wet fly rod.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

CreationBear
Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by CreationBear »

Excellent--thanks gentlemen!!-- :D -->

tiethefly
Master Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by tiethefly »

I own a stand out rod.... 377 8' 3/2 Dry Fly model.

CreationBear
Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by CreationBear »

Nice looking rod! I was familiar with the 359's and 323's, but the "377" is a designation I've not run across before. Because SB's were produced so long, I imagine there's great variability in their quality (or, more likely perhaps, their suitability for modern tastes) but since I'm much more likely to find an SB than a Garrison in my vintage "woodpile," it's great to get a sense of what's out there.!-- :D -->

lpirrone
Sport

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by lpirrone »

Has anyone ever heard of the southbend 5256? mine is a 9 foot 5/6 wt. has green wraps with gold tipping, a green plastic reel seat insert and aluminum uplocking hardware. its a three piece, the ferrules are black. they were coated with something but i was able to polish it off and blue them with brass black. they seemed to be NS and not brass. the only markings were the typical southbend yellow sticker and the
5256 written in ink. it does not have the comficent grip. the grip is basically a cylinder shape without much taper.

lpirrone
Sport

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by lpirrone »

5256 must be a head scratcher. i had an ongoing search on ebay for one just to see if they were out there and in a year nothing has showed up. i was told they are rare. don't show up in catalogues. it has pretty caramel colored cane.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by nativebrownie »

Hmm... my 323 , 8', 3/2 also has very pretty, light caramel colored cane. Really glowed once refinished. Agree with Bulldog, the 323 series is a "standout" - wonderful 5-6 wt progresive. Surprisingly lively dry fly action. Interesting that this 323 came with a thinner wet and a heavier dry tip...

My refinished 159 is a remarkably rich medium - dark caramel colored -

CreationBear
Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by CreationBear »

NB--

Now that's interesting--I know it's a foot shorter, but how does the 323 with its wet fly tip compare to your 159? Not quite as "limber" I'm guessing....

At any rate, I hope you're watching the temps as closely as I am down here. Another couple of days of 60-degree weather and I'll try to give you a "soft-hackle" report from a couple of our lower elevation streams.!-- :D -->

Jon

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by nativebrownie »

CB,

W the wet fly tip, the 323 is ,in my mind, is a nice progressive butt and mid with a real soft tip - I would prefer another dry tip, but the thinner tip is ok for smaller waters and winter midging..OK It is not like some 2 piece rods where the longer wet tip adds a softer more gradual feeling. It is sort of abrupt...

CB, the 159 is , besides a foot longer, as you said, far more limber throughout, not soft, just limber (listed as a Trout action in the 1941 catalog). Loves a 5 weight at real short range flips and will throw a DT4 quickly and shoot a long distance......As expected, not a fine tip, just limber into the butt section...
I like the SBs for their great value, and since I fished "blue collar" glass ( and an RH Woods bamboo) for so many years, why not continue the "blue collar' tradition of the past...
Yep, nice temps here - will be swinging a sculpin tomoorow on our flater, warmer sections...
Good Luck and enjoy the day, CB...

freestoner
Master Guide

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by freestoner »

Where is the 5256 written on the rod? It could be a South Bend Cross rod, they have 4-digit numbers inked on them, up toward the ferrule. The grip sounds like a Cross rod grip, too.

lpirrone
Sport

South Bend nomenclature?

Post by lpirrone »

the 5256 is written on the top flat just forward of the winding check wrap. the southbend sticker is on the bottom flat.i took some pictures. i will download and post in a minute.Image

The black and white jasper trim wraps front and rear of the "5256" is not original. i am rewrapping it and am not finished.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”